Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • A new mancave is born…
  • nickhart
    Free Member

just a note on the lighting, If you intend to have a lathe in there, wood turning or metal turning, make sure you have a seperate light source for it which has a none flickering light. Tubes and some LED’s can give a strobe effect when using a lathe, leading to epileptic episodes or thinking the chuck is still when it’s actually turning.

AlexSimon

nickhart – Member

just a note on the lighting, If you intend to have a lathe in there, wood turning or metal turning, make sure you have a seperate light source for it which has a none flickering light. Tubes and some LED’s can give a strobe effect when using a lathe, leading to epileptic episodes or thinking the chuck is still when it’s actually turning.
    Blimey – I would never have thought of that

Flaperon

Have seen the stroboscopic effect a long time ago – most industrial premises tend to have the fluoro lights wired sequentially through different phases to minimise the effect.

The real risk is not epilepsy – or even the chuck appearing stationary – the noise should give that away.

It’s when you turn it off and it starts to spin down that it can appear to be spinning far more slowly than it actually is – you think it’s coming to a stop and in reality it’s just passing back through 3000rpm.

Halogen light is the easy fix, or use a digital inverter and program to rotate at anything other than 1500 (low risk but possibly if chuck symmetrical) / 3000 / 6000 rpm.

chambord
    Free Member

samuri has roughly as many bikes as my LBS

Merak

Todays update…not even the dark stops these guys. Kudos.

nickjb
    Free Member

Have they bridged the ends of the cavities with block?

pistola
    Free Member

You in Bishopbriggs by any chance Merak? Looks vaguely familiar.

Built two and converted one garage into man-caves. Highly rewarding work! 🙂

Merak

I am indeed Pistola. Impressive!

samuri
    Free Member

samuri has roughly as many bikes as my LBS

That would be the most disappointing bike shop visit ever. 😉

“Do you have any that work?”

MaryHinge
    Free Member

@ Wrightyson – Have you got any strip lights left?

I’ll be back up in Belper on 24 Jan.

I only have one light in my new garage at the moment, so looking for 3 or 4 strips.

My email is in profile.

Cheers

Merak

Update; Weather is foul but hasn’t stopped play.

bamboo
    Free Member

Looking good!

Merak

Update… We have heat!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

No man cave is complete with out a stove. Top work. Any more pics of progress ?

cliffyc
    Free Member

Stove is kick-ass!. Don’t forget RCD on the power!. Don’t want you fried!. Good luck with your build. 🙂

Merak

Aye, I feel the neighbours don’t share my enthusiasm for the burner. Some smoke issues.

Excuse the shoddy phone pics. Long way to go yet but heat, light and power are there. I need some masonry paint as Ive made a bit of a faux pas with white emulsion 🙁

Bench and shelving after that.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Good to see plenty of power points!.

colp

Have you thought about running in some 6-core alarm cable from your house alarm?
    Have magnetic contact sensors on the doors set as a timed zone with a chime when the alarm is in day mode.

smartay

Hi Merak

Just wondering if the roof trusses where made on site or bought in items, mums garage roof ( reinforced concrete) leaking solution required

woody2000

Can I ask roughly how much something like that costs? I “need” a new mancave, trying to gauge roughly how much to budget 🙂

Ta!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘A new mancave is born…’ is closed to new replies.