Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • A new life for a 1980’s steel racer!
  • nickb

I found my old racer in my Dad’s loft recently – a Motobecane I had when I was about 14!

Stripped it and rebuilt it in singlespeed guise. Had to add new wheels and a new saddle (and matching bar tape!), but I think everything else is original.

Finished last night and went to the pub on it, then commuted to work on it this morning – my first singlespeed experience and its great fun!

Here it is – better photos to follow when I get round to taking them:

Cheers,
    Nick

miketually
    Free Member

That’s lovely.

nickb

BTW – yes, its a larger profile tyre on the front than the back – I used spare stuff I had lying around. Was going to buy an new skinny tyre to match the back, but actually the ‘odd’ look is growing on me!

Thoughts?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Retrotastic!

JoB
    Free Member

congratulations on not ‘fixie’-ing it

jacksta
    Free Member

leave the tyres – the whole point is that you use bits you have. too perfect and its…too perfect!

it is very nice though 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

haha, bought a cheep 531 racer in my first year of uni for £20

since the fixie boom theyr now worth £125 easily (not good as i wanted another after snaping the forks)

A quick strip and re-build has now become an entire revovation. If im not carefull it’ll end up 10 speed!

Ed2001
    Free Member

Nice, totally agree with JoB

stooo
    Free Member

Very nice… i’m looking to do the same just now for a wee local training bike. Good for winter too when I don’t want to take out the nice carbon giant TCR.

Trying to find an old frame to use, like Thisisnotaspoon says, they’re getting pricey on the bay.

Wish I’d never sold all my old steel frames. I used to have a lovely raleigh race frame with chrome forks and rear end.

I like the use of the classic levers with exposed cables.. might go that way myself.

tinsy
    Free Member

Gotta keep an eye out down the tip stooo, picked up a Raleigh Pursuit last year for a fiver, a pal of mine has been commuting on it for a year for the price of a pair of tyres and tubes.

midlifecrashes

Very pretty. Enjoy.

PePPeR

Mmm I’ve got a Peugeot 753r frame sitting doing nothing at the moment!!

Looks like a new SS/pub bike will be in order there too.

Don’t worry Joe I won’t fixie it, just for you.

epicyclo

You can use my brand name X-Attic 🙂

Gets applied to any of the monstrosities I build from spare stuff up in the roof space.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘A new life for a 1980’s steel racer!’ is closed to new replies.