Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • A new frame, possibly full suss, for a Rock Lobster owner?
  • RustySpanner

I’ve had a Rock Lobster 853 for seven years and I’ve really got on with it.

Light frame, very comfy, handles well, fit’s nicely.
    But, I’m just thinking about the possibility of a change.

Never owned a full susser, so possibly a short/mid travel full suss frame, just to see what I’m missing out on.
    Alternatively, a similar hardtail that will accept a slightly longer fork (currently got a Reba which should be able to be tweaked to 120mm), possibly with slightly slacker geometry.

I prefer big days in the hills to short blasts and don’t really do wheels off the ground, so something relatively light and comfy would be ideal.

I’m thinking one of the older Boardman full suss frame, Santa Cruz Superlight, Spesh Stumpy or Kona Hei Hei (bit too racy?) or a Marin for secondhand f/s frames.

Possibly a Soul or PA for a hardtail.

I’d love to try an Orange 5, but that would mean new forks, selling a kidney and going back to a brand I’ve had bad experiences of in the past, so that’s probably out.

Lots of nice cheap Hecklers around – too much bike?
    Could I get away with 120mm on one of these?

Not a brand snob, so mainstream suggestions are fine.

Thanks in advance.

Junkyard
    Free Member

YGM

cinnamon_girl

I would say a Superlight. Certainly ideal for all day rides.

RustySpanner

JY, you really are a gent.

I’ve mailed you.

sefton
    Free Member

I went from a rocklobster to a turner flux with 120mm forks.

I’ve scince rebuilt the RL for racing!

hambl90
    Free Member

Anthem x full sus or cove handjob hardtail . I had the latter with 120mm forks and it rode like a dream.

RustySpanner

hambl90,
    Good call – forgot about Giants – Trances & Anthems on the list now, ta.

Tried a Cove Handjob years ago but just didn’t get on with the relatively high BB – felt like I was perched over the bike rather than in it.
    I’d try one again though before spending owt.

superfli
    Free Member

Just changed from rl to a soul. Completely different machine. Bike is so much more suited to my usual riding. More spring and comfort, slacker with longer tt. Although i have switched to small from medium. Rl was more suited to racing xc, relatively stiff and light. Soul is only slightly heavier, but mine is more so as i have put dropper on it – its that sort of bike

RustySpanner

superfli,

I rode a Soul before buying the RL.
    It was great but I couldn’t justify the price difference for built up bikes.

More spring and comfort, slacker with longer tt. Although i have switched to small from medium.

How tall are you?

I’m five six have a 15 inch RL.
    It’s fine, big enough, but I do have the saddle pushed pretty far back.

Find 16 inch On One’s a bit big, but the small Soul I tried was great.
    Didn’t feel much difference in ‘spring’ between the Soul and he RL, tbh.
    Love steel frames, but find seat tubes, tyres and grips can make a big difference to feel.

boxelder

Planet fear in keswick have an anthen ( medium I think) at 750 quid – half price

luket

I’m also 5’6″ and just moved from a 15″ RL to a small Soul. With all the same kit on it (100mm fork) the Soul was noticeably quicker going down some of my favourite stuff I ride and I felt it was a real improvement. With a 140mm fork, that’s probably also a “better” fork and is bolt-though as well, I’m liking it even more. My forearms are certainly thankful.

I had been thinking the RL just came up a bit short a bit too often and I wanted something that would take more fork travel. The Soul frame weighs only a tiny bit more IIRC, although mine now has heavier forks and a Reverb.

Also ride a 6″ ish full suss bike but I regard the two different bikes as being for two quite different purposes. It’s years since I had a more “xc” weight and travel full suss bike though.

superfli
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner, I’m 5’8″. Sort of in between sizes, can ride small or medium soul. Chose small and have more seatpost, I’m glad I did. The RL had such a short tt and fairly steep HA in comparison, DH I could quite easily lose the front (mainly in wet). I’ve got more time to recover on the Soul, if it goes. Its definitely springer and more forgiving though. A long fairly rooty local descent is hard to continue peddling on a HT (compared to my FS). On the Soul, I can peddle a damn sight more, rather than the rear being pinged about too much.
    As with luket, I also have a big FS trail bike at my disposal. Best of both 🙂

BTW, my RL components moved straight to soul (2nd hand frame, so saved plenty of new price). So it is like for like.

iainc

RL 853 and a 5 here. Very different and quite complimentary bikes.

iridebikes
    Free Member

I would reccomend the anthem x. I had one till recently, and it was by far the most fun I’ve had on a xc race bike. The suspension worked very well, and felt like more than 100mm. So that would be top of my list

rp16v
    Free Member

i recentley got my trance coming from a felt hardtail and after a ride at afan this week im very happy with my change, the giant platforn pedels very efficient very much like a hardtail but takes the sting oit of the bigger hits it really douse inspire u to take bigger lines,im 5’8 and ride a 16″ with 70mm stem and seat up the 18″ just felt all wrong for me even tho i rode a 17.5 hardtail

NormalMan

Have you looked at the Spesh Camber?

They have gone 29er only for 2013 but there are still a few 26er bargains out there as well as used, of course.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘A new frame, possibly full suss, for a Rock Lobster owner?’ is closed to new replies.