Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • A new adventure.
  • andeh

So last summer I rode the Tim Woodock coast-to-coast route over a few days and had a blast. I’d like to do something similar this year (multi day ride, staying on hostels) but need a bit of inspiration.

So, what have you lot been upto over the years? I’m open to anything in the UK, or even potentially the Alps. The more pics/maps the better.

Thanks

Tiger6791

Welsh Ride Thing. ?

Nothing to say you can’t stay in Hostels

andeh

Doesn’t have to be hostels, but it allows me to travel a little lighter.

jekkyl

I’ve always fancied Italy coast to coast. Rome to Rimini?
    or something a bit closer to home? Ireland coast to coast! or a tour of the highlands.

andeh

I was thinking highlands, but there’s an awful lot of bog up there, which might be nice to avoid, so if anyone has any good ideas/routes?

dknwhy

Cairngorm Loop. With a bit of planning you could stay in hostels/hotels. There’s a hostel in Aviemore & Braemar I think (although I wild camped when I did it).

whitestone
    Free Member

HT550 route or parts of it. There’s a thread on Bearbones about the best bikepacking route, someone suggested the middle loop (the northbound and southbound routes meet at two places effectively creating three loops) from Ft Augustus up to Oykel Bridge then back down through the Fisherfield Forest, Torridon and Glen Affric. It’s around 400Km. The southern loop, new route this year, is around 250km and Alan G reckons that will be a decent one to do on its own as well.

Not much bog though there’s an interesting river crossing in the Fisherfield forest.

jimdubleyou

Tim Woodock coast-to-coast route

Do you mean the Weston-SM to Eastbourne one? How was it?

andeh

No, it’s St. Bees to Robin Hood’s Bay. Essentially it’s the Wainwright route, but missing the footpaths.

richardthird

Capital Trail, Edinburgh. Less boggy and more accessible perhaps.

julesf7
    Free Member

I did the Woodcock C2C the year after I did the route I would recommend, seconding a couple of previous comments already – the Cairngorms Loop. Absolutely awesome bikepacking adventure that really gets you to some hard-to-reach places with some cracking views and ideal places for a bivy. So good I moved to Braemar (not strictly causal), so if you need some planning help then feel free to drop me an email.

nibby
    Free Member

I was going to say Iceland/Norway but I like the sound of the Woodcock Cairngorms loop.

How long would it take approx.? and does anyone have a gpx I could follow?

cheers

Cheezpleez

Did Corrour to Aberdeen in November via Glen Feshie. It’s easy to do using bothies and B&Bs if you want to travel light. Cairngorm loop is also a good shout.

whitestone
    Free Member

Has anyone visited the upper Glen Feshie since last month’s floods? There was a post on Cairngormwanderer that noted damage as far up as the bothy but there was no report from further up.

Cheezpleez

Good point. Don’t know but I believe the makeshift bridge north of the bothy is no more

Brown
    Free Member

The Haute Route was awesome. Loads of memories from that.

More recently, the Bear Bones 200 was great fun and very friendly, even if we did have to singlespeed a bike at 90k… No racing for us – pub for tea and a nice bivvy.

Lakes 200 is also brilliant and can easily be ridden hostel to hostel.

Also really enjoyed parts of the Cairngorm loop, mainly the scenery and the riding on the final stretch to Blair Atholl (where we started and finished).

boxelder

The HT550 from Ullapool back to Glencoe. Trains to link it up. You might want to book ahead or carry a bivi (and waders for the ‘ford’..)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘A new adventure.’ is closed to new replies.