Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • A new 140-150mm FS frame
  • rhid

I have been going round and round in cirlces trying to decide on a recplacement for my Heckler but I just end up more confused. I want something a bit longer and lower than my current bike, 30.9-31.6 seat tube dia for my reverb with about 140-150mm of travel. I know there are loads of choices but at the moment I cannot see the wood for the trees!

I just need frame models so I can check them out and see if I like them or not! I have Looked at the 5 and Remedy and like them both but there msut be others that fit the bill I have missed!

metalheart
    Free Member

Cotic Rocket
    Labyrinth Agile

Both linkage driven single pivots, 150mm travel and on the slack side.

Demo’d both, ended up with the Rocket. The Labyrinth was very, very nice and in the end it wasn’t an easy decision. Both lived up to their nomikers… :mrgreen:

xanboy
    Free Member

Saracen Ariel
    Turner 5 spot, which I think is the best trail bike I’ve owned and ridden
    Santa Cruz blur LT/ LTC
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LT/LTC
    Intense Tracer
    Yeti SB66
    Yeti 575
    Nicolai various options
    Ibis Mojo SL/SLR/HD
    Pivot Mach 5

I’d get some demo rides sorted out

Northwind

Stumpjumper Evo.

chakaping
    Free Member

Does it have to be available frame-only? Remedy isn’t is it?

My shortlist would be…

Remedy
    Foxy
    Stumpy Evo
    Reign
    New Mega (if weight turns out to be significantly lower than previous model)

Jeffus
    Free Member

Zesty ,Yeti SB66, not ridden any but they spring to mind, I’ve owned 08 Heckler , latest 5 and a Remedy 9 , really like the Remedy climbed awesome, now have a Butcher similar TT to the Heckler but climbs and descends much better, suspension and geometry is improved, ISCG tabs taper head tube gives you good options, Blur trc not quite 140mm but longer TT.. were on offer at Stif the other day..

dickie
    Free Member

I went from a Heckler to 5 Spot.

Check the classifieds – there was a 2011 Turner DW 5 Spot, large, raw, with 12 months transferable warranty, if that suits.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Apols for the hijack but I have a lovely Nicolai Helius AM that I am selling, but it’s not advertised yet.

Apart from its brilliant climbing and descending ability, and its lovely, bombproof feel and build quality, it has adjustable rear travel ranging from 170 down to about 140 so you’ve got at least 2 bikes in 1!

Mine is a size L (height range 5’10” to 6’3″ I’d say …I’m 6’2″) with tapered headtube, is a 2010 model and has just been completely re-bushed so will feel like a new bike. It’s not been ridden since the re-bush.

It comes with an RP23 and Hope headset and I have a fork and wheel option too if you’re interested.

Mail in profile if you want to get in touch. It will be priced it to sell.

ajr
    Free Member
    timraven

In a similar quandry, tried a Cotic Rocket and really liked it.

Still haven’t made a decision though 🙄

mk1fan
    Free Member

Titus El Guapo

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah the El Goppo with the CCDB Air might be worth a look based on price.

Geometry looks OK.

rhid

How good are the El Guapos? I am not entirely sure I like the look of the frame but at that price………

Thanks for all the replies I have plenty to think about now. Also I’m a mere 5’6 so large bikes are out for me sorry.

I am still looking seriously at 5s, Remedys and now El guapos.

timraven

Tried a 5, sorry really didn’t get on with it at all, I have a Trek EX8 at the moment and the only bug bear is the poor? negligible mud clearance, so the Remedy should be great if you don’t have 6″ of Somerset mud around you for most of the year.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Small Pitch @ £700 I still reckon… 😉

rhid

Can someone point me in the direction of a geometry table for the current El Guapo please? Google has not been very helpful!

brant
    Free Member

Geometry:
    TT: 575mm (S), 595mm (M), 615mm (L)
    ST: 425mm (S), 457mm (M), 493mm (L)
    H/A: 67deg
    Advised Fork Length: 150/160mm Rock Shox/Fox

On all models
    under “Advised Fork Length: 150/160mm Rock Shox/Fox”

Headtube length: 102mm (S), 102mm(M), 118mm (L)

(I need to work on proper table don’t I).

timraven

I don’t suppose there’s a demo El Guapo within easy reach of Bath is there?

moniex
    Free Member

Hi, I am currently selling my orange 5 in a 16″ 2011 (new headtube/seattube and dropper mounts), as it is a tiny bit too long in the top tube for me (5’5″, but a girl so long legs and very short body). It is the pro version with all hope coloured bits, coloured rims etc and is running 1×10. I also added a new bar/stem and seatpost.

Just taken some pictures of it here:

Was smothered in helitape from new (3!? layers in places) and has only been on about a dozen rides, so as new really.

Looking for £1875 for it.

Any good? If not I will list it for sale in the classifieds.

Simone

moniex
    Free Member

Forgot to say, I know you are after just a frame, I may consider splitting…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Since 150mm is expanding to include 160mm; Transition Covert. And contrary to STW lore I neither own one, nor am I using the opportunity to shamelessly hawk mine to you but if I was in the market for a new frame now I’d give them serious consideration. US niche for discount prices, top quality, ride well according to their owners and good customer support.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Remedy user here, so clearly biased. Big fan though. Very stiff, especially with a maxle back end. Very plush, and the propedal works brilliantly. Ran it in the Alps with a set of coil Lyriks and it handled everything I could chuck its way. Bearings easy to service, shock easy to set up. Not too slack either so still nimble on singletrack stuff. Very impressed.

rhid

Moniex I’ve pm’d you.

RHid

patriotpro
    Free Member

Check out the new Megas on the front page.

They do 2 versions now – sounds like the ‘Trail’ would suit you.

They look ‘Mega’ too if you ask me. 😳

smiff
    Free Member

Pitch/Guapo/Mega nothing else close for value AFAIK.

which depends a bit what you do/like look of. i’ve ridden the Pitch and EG today, but not Mega at all. i’d rate them as better for

Enduro/XC/DH in that order. but all capable of all depending on setup!

er for posterity, these 3 are £600-800 at time of posting.

also btw, having 3 people jumping in here trying to sell their bikes is pretty annoying. keep it to For Sale eh?

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’m selling my Transition Covert 🙂

peasant
    Free Member
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘A new 140-150mm FS frame’ is closed to new replies.