Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • A "National Government" Lab – Tory coalition = wtf?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

Was reading about that possibility earlier. Just looking for confirmation that I did read it and that nobody has been slipping me lsd earlier.

piemonster

Was you expecting labour to go into some sort of coalition with someone else?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

No, I was expecting the SNP to take over the world. Mwahahahahahaha. 😉

willard

Ideologically, they are pretty close…

piemonster

Mwahahahahahaha.

😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mcwahahahahahaha.

FTFY.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Racist.

Or perhaps you’re infringing on McDonald’s trademark.

brooess
    Free Member

It’s going to be very messy. Expect all kinds of games and tricks from all parties trying to win an election which none of them have a chance of winning cos no-one thinks they’re fit to govern or has any honest idea how to get the economy out of the insane amount of debt we’re in…
    For the first time in my life I’m not sure I’ll vote.
    I suspect a lot of people share the same view, which means whatever government we end up with will be a weak, partisan mess without any real mandate from the UK electorate.
    It won’t do our global standing or our economy any good, mind… the effects will be everyday and real, well beyond Westminster Village.
    With luck, the uncertainty will keep Gideon too busy to think of any more damn fool tricks with the housing market…

Northwind

It’s the rational outcome, we’re well past the point where you could look at most policies and be sure which of the two parties they belong to.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It would save us the horror story of who takes over from Dave and Ed

George or Theresa – aargh
    Ed, Yvette, Rache or Andy – aargh

Sorry state of affairs.

Better outcome than having a minority party calling the shots

jambalaya
    Free Member

Did you see Blair’s comments a few days ago, a left wing party cannot be elected in the UK, you have to be in the centre or centre right.

Labour. It doesn’t make sense for them to form a coalition with the SNP as that means less Labour MPs forever more as Scotland moves further away from the UK – that being the key demand from the SNP

Tory. Neither Lib Dems or UKIP will have sufficent MPs to make a difference

soobalias
    Free Member

if anyone, honestly, can think of a decent outcome, please let me know

molgrips
    Free Member

Could be interesting. They form a coalition then three months in a whole load of actual left wingers from Labour split off to form an actual left party, then the hard right from the tories join UKIP and we’ll have three parties again – middle left and centre – but with different people.

bencooper
    Free Member

Did you see Blair’s comments a few days ago, a left wing party cannot be elected in the UK, you have to be in the centre or centre right.

Shows how totally screwed up the Westminster electoral system is. If you survey people – show them a list of policies an see which ones they agree with – most people turn out pretty left-wing. Something like 70% should be voting Green. But they don’t, because the Greens have no chance. Why do the Greens have no chance? Because no-one votes for them.

The two main party leaders have approval ratings in the high negatives, but it’s absolutely certain to be one of those two who becomes PM.

Basically, we don’t live in a democacy, so a government of natioanl unity is the next logical step. It makes it totally pointless voting instead of mostly pointless.

seosamh77
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    Labour. It doesn’t make sense for them to form a coalition with the SNP as that means less Labour MPs forever more as Scotland moves further away from the UK – that being the key demand from the SNP

do you think a Labouratory coalition will bring scotland closer to the uk? 😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Basically, we don’t live in a democacy,

What is it then?

It makes it totally pointless voting instead of mostly pointless.

Now that would kill the democratic process! Seems to me that we are free to vote how we want. If people want to reject that democratic freedom then they only have themselves to blame.

seosamh77
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Basically, we don’t live in a democacy,
    What is it then?

proxi-ism.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thm, are you actually stalking Ben? 😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Thm, are you actually stalking Ben?

😉 no I just love ben’s posts (almost as much as his pictures from wacky places)

bencooper
    Free Member

What is it then

A kleptocracy.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ben yes I am sure if you survey people they will tick all the social conscious boxes the tricky part is how you pay for it, that’s where the divisions occur. It’s a deliberate misconception to suggest the Tories/right don’t have a social policy agenda, it’s a case of degree.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well at least we had one successful democratic experiment in the last 12 months and people have accepted that result very well. 😉

andytherocketeer

If you survey people – show them a list of policies an see which ones they agree with – most people turn out pretty left-wing

mine came out mostly as BNP-UKIP with Green. SO that’s 2 left parties and one right (although one of those left, poeple generally assume as right, but policies are actually rather left).

As one of the minority that makes a living making use of UK EU memberships… why the **** does those stupi facebook polls think my vote should align with 2 of the most devout anti-EU parties there are?

SO those vote for policies things are b******s. My vote used to be tactical against BNP, and now will be tactical against UKIP.

Germany had the equivalent of Con-Lab, but with a slight difference in that the Lab (equivalent) was Chancellor with Con winning the most seats, and the Con leader eventually ousting Lab (but not quite as easy as Dave did 4.5yrs ago). I’ve regularly suggested Con-Lab coalition, and now might be the right time for safety’s sake.

bencooper
    Free Member

Well at least we had one successful democratic experiment in the last 12 months and people have accepted that result very well.

Yup, it was so much fun we’ll probably do it again soon 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Touché! 😀

And on that bombshell – sleep well.

bencooper
    Free Member

Goodnight 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Basically, we don’t live in a democacy

Of course we bloody do. Democracy means nothing more than politicans being elected. It doesn’t mean good, free, representative or honest government – some people do conflate those things though. Often Americans, because of the Cold War.

We do live in a democracy, but it’s not a very effective one. FPTP is not great, but the biggest problem is that the electorate don’t live up to their side of the deal. For democracy to work, the electorate have to actually put some effort into understanding the issues and the process. Most people don’t.

nick1962
    Free Member

FPTP is not great, but the biggest problem is that the electorate don’t live up to their side of the deal. For democracy to work, the electorate have to actually put some effort into understanding the issues and the process. Most people don’t.

Maybe the opposite is true and the electorate have realised that the democratic system(FPTP) in the UK is bankrupt.Two thirds of MPs elected in 2010 had a majority of the electorate in their respective constituencies voting against them.Put some effort into understanding that!

molgrips
    Free Member

And what was turnout? Who knows what the result would be if people turned out and voted how they really felt without worrying about wasted votes…

seosamh77
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    And what was turnout? Who knows what the result would be if people turned out and voted how they really felt without worrying about wasted votes…

voting for a least worst available set of self serving **** is a shit system.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Logical conclusion of New Labour really – love the market, love the causes of the market. Ideological numpties. How truly sad to forget what you believe in – especially in a world so brim full of injustice that it makes me get angrier and more militant as I hurtle towards bus pass status (assuming these buggers don’t pull bus passes for older folk that is).

And all the time that tosser Osborne gets away unchallenged………

gordimhor

Lab-Tory coalition in Westminster, might well end up with the leader of the SNP Westminster group as leader of the opposition. 😉

richmars

molgrips:
    For democracy to work, the electorate have to actually put some effort into understanding the issues and the process. Most people don’t.

This.
    It’s not very PC, but most people are to lazy to put the time into understanding the issues and policies.
    It’s too easy to believe the headlines and vote for the lowest common denominator.

yunki
    Free Member

What’s needed is a ‘your country needs you’ style ad campaign.. Use all the WW1 and WW2 style propaganda, re-hash that bullshit Sainsburys ad..
    Get people to realise that if we’re not prepared to get off our arses and do a few hours research and then put pen to paper in the polling stations, then it’s likely that our country will go to the dogs.

If we, the electorate don’t fight for our country in the polling stations then there is every chance that the Eton Mafia, or worse, the UKIP fascists will win..

It is a war, it is a matter of national security, we’re not being asked to take up arms and lay down our lives bit the situation really is that serious..
    All we’re being asked to do is give up a few hours of our time to glance through the manifestos and realise that the Greens have grown up and our ready to save our nation from the bastards

yunki
    Free Member

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..
    In the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness

Charles Dickens, A Tale Of Two Cities

julianwilson
    Free Member

How many hung parliaments will we need in the uk before they reconsider ftpt again? This is not a rhetorical question. I recall during the massive AV referendum argu-threads on here many people saying how great it was that ftpt (usually!) returns majority govenrmnents who are able to get on with the business of governing and legislating, largely free of the multi-party wranglings and massive compromises on policy common to coalition governments around the world. (See ‘Borgen’ for a simple to digest example, albeit one where everything looks much more slanted to the left).

molgrips
    Free Member

voting for a least worst available set of self serving **** is a shit system.

It is, yes. Still democratic though.

scotroutes

The problem with fptp is that electorate know exactly how it works and don’t have the long term vision and commitment to get a “better” party into a position of power. The Greens were able to make a little headway but not enough folk vote for them because…. not enough folk vote for them. Polls regularly show that they’d pick up a lot more votes if they stood a realistic chance of picking up more seats.

Ignoring their politics, the SNP have succeeded because they managed to harness some of that long term vision and a PR system in Holyrood helped (as did the demise of the Tories and the Toryisation of the Labour Party.)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘A "National Government" Lab – Tory coalition = wtf?’ is closed to new replies.