Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • A move away from teaching, but what to?
  • lunge

Right then STW, you have over the years solved more of my problems than I care to count, so now I would like you to help my wife.

The story is that she’s a primary teacher and wants out for a whole variety of reasons, the main one of which is that she’s lost her passion for it. She’s of a view that you spend 40+ hours a week at work and so you should do something you enjoy. Her passion is sport, she competes in (and wins) triathlons, she can run a 40 minute 10k and generally loves the gym, so in an ideal world she would like to do a job that involves sport/fitness of some variety.

So a question, what sport should someone with a psychology degree, 8 years of teaching experience and a passion for sport do?

Thanks all.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Personal training, exercise, public health education, nutrition?

qwerty
    Free Member

psychology degree

That would probably come in a lot of help if she went down the personal trainer route of fitness, as would her sporting background.

wwaswas

PE teacher?

seriously, it’s an area she’s familiar with, secondary is very different from primary and the salary/pension/holidays match.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Why not move to supply work whilst retraining etc? I do nothing else as it beats the crap attached to mainstream teaching.
    Then think about PE sessions for schools. Lots of companies offering services that mean schools buy in rather than use their own teachers. I know of one that offers games, dance and gymnastics. Primary schools especially do this. No idea about the secondary lot.
    They provide the planning and deliver it. Tennis coaching is another. Cycle training may work. Takes a bit to get all the paperwork sorted out, insurance, approvals etc. but there is plenty of scope. Maybe ask you LEA for their requirements for companies offering these services. Her current school could have some ideas like this.
    Offer free taster sessions etc. maybe?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

As above become a PE teacher.
    It’s got to be worth a shot.

Xylene
    Free Member

Tell her to go international, choose the school carefully, hiring time in August-November for some of the larger named schools, look for a non-profit, and enjoy the spoils of huge budgets, toys and hopefully decent kids.

Somewhere such as, UWCA or SAS in Singapore, British School of New York, British School of Brussels.

This is of course based on the assumption she is teaching challenging classes, in a challenging area, and job satisfaction is low hence why she is wanting out of teaching.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘A move away from teaching, but what to?’ is closed to new replies.