Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • A little write up of my DIY log burner install so far…
  • DrP

There’s been a few posts on the forum about this – I’ve even led a few.
    So thought I’d share a little write up of what I’ve done so far.
    TBH, it’s not been too difficult to go from this:

To this:

Clearly it’s not finished – a long way to go..
    But it might inspire a few others!
    Enjoy…

Clicky for bloggy bloggy…

DrP

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Needs a hole!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m a little concerned about where your flue goes….do you have a CO alarm ready?

DrP

Flue will be ‘within’ a created stud wall/cavity (with 60mm distances to combustibles, and vented cavity).
    CO alarm on the shipping crate with the stove/pipework etc!

DrP

titusrider
    Free Member

Thanks DrP, you have convinced me that I deffo want a professional in to do mine…

I give you 10 manliness points though 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

diy-amateur-stove-install kudos on your tidy work on the lintel.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Is that lino in the front room?

DrP

Thanks DrP, you have convinced me that I deffo want a professional in to do mine..

That bad is it??!! 😉

Not lino – just terrible carpet. That’s all gone now too!

DrP

yetidave
    Free Member

Like 😀

I had someone in, partly as we had lots of other jobs to do partly as you still need a certified fitter to finish fire. Plasterer was ace and much better than I could do.

DrP

Quick question to the masses… lay heart tiles then plaster walls, or get walls done first??

DrP

globalti
    Free Member

When you plaster that chimney breast be sure to do the entire front to the same thickness, otherwise the new plaster will crack where it joins the old. How do I know this? Don’t ask.

titusrider
    Free Member

DrP – Member

Thanks DrP, you have convinced me that I deffo want a professional in to do mine..

That bad is it??!! [/quote]

Slow reply but – You just clearly have a big project thing going on and know how to do many things which I do not!

I made a headboard this weekend and that is probably the biggest bit of DIY i’ve ever done 😳

bimster29
    Free Member

I was chatting to a mate this morning and he is in the process of moving house. The survey on the house he is selling has picked up that his log burner was self installed and not certified. He now has to try and get a so called professional to certify it and they seem a touch reluctant. It’s either that or an indemnity insurance. Apparently it can impact some insurance companies willingness to insure your gaff.

Also, none of this applies for open fires – which seems bizare.

Big kudos on the DIY though DrP, way above my skillset!

DrP

There are a few routes for getting certified..
    Building regs application – about £120 (well it is locally)
    Get a HETAS engineer to do the whole lot
    or..
    Get a HETAS engineer to ‘install the log burner’ – which basically means you pay them ‘some money’ to review your work, then connect the log burner.

I’ll be going down route 3, as our builders have a few chaps who work for them who will review the work and do the final sign off.

Basically, it’s to prevent bodgers installing and killing their family with CO, but unless it’s “on someone’s radar” then you could do pretty much whatever you wanted in your home…
    worrying!

DrP

ricky1
    Free Member

What’s happening with the lintel,is it wood or concrete,either way you will have to strew/nail some mesh on it to receive fresh plaster or you might get a crack in the shape of the lintel,good job,better than a lot of people who charge for the job,I use glassroc board and seal it with fire proof heat sealer,you can paint straight onto glassroc board,no need to plaster,plaster cracks with heat over time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘A little write up of my DIY log burner install so far…’ is closed to new replies.