Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • a little help with some auto-electrics please
  • jonahtonto
    Free Member

ok so the brake lights have packed in on my van.

new bulbs and new brake switch have not helped.
    -there is power getting to the new brake light switch ie fuse is ok but nothing to the bulb holder.

any ideas? what would be my next course of action?
    i may set fire to the entire vehicle as i get the impression it is laughing at me

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Earth OK?

lasty
    Free Member

First stop would be to check youre getting a good earth ..

Next if its only on one cluster run a live wire across from the working one and see if you get any life.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simmy
    Free Member

What van is it ?

Sounds like a break in the wire after the switch but before the rear lights.

Has it a high level light on the rear door ? Could be a break in the wire on the rear door.

Sometimes they work in series running from one feed to the other. Not likely to be in the main loom as your other lights would be affected

jonahtonto
    Free Member

it could be the earth but there is no +ve getting there cos it wont light my little 12v screw drivery thingy. the other 3 bulbs in the holder work ok too so i have discounted that.

sod it, im going out on the bike. its too good a day to spend getting angry with an inanimate object

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

When you’re back, check for any rust on the bulb contacts

jonahtonto
    Free Member

its an old sprinter. its both brakelights. both went at the same time. a break in the wire sounds the most likely to me.

am i right in thinking the curcuit goes – fuse/switch/bulb holder?
    which means new wire from switch to holder ? (or is it switch/fuse/bulb holder)

jonahtonto
    Free Member

wait there is a tow hitch, maybe the break is there…..back out to get under the van 🙁

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘a little help with some auto-electrics please’ is closed to new replies.