Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • A little help as I've been out of the scene for a while…
  • sootyandjim
    Free Member

So,

– What are “fatbikes” all about? Aren’t they meant for things like Iditarod?

– When I stepped away there were basically just 26″ and some 29″ wheels in use. What is with 650b, 650b+, 29+?

– Electric motors on mountain bikes? Aren’t they just for shopping bikes?

– Are front mechs ‘out’ now?

Any assistance would be welcome, these are strange times indeed!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They are still bikes…

Electric really if you really need it, but why.
    Fatbikes – for those currently seeking a niche (soon to move on to something new if it becomes too popular)
    Wheels – ride the bike, see if you like it, once you decide ask what size wheels it has.
    Front mechs – becoming less popular but have their rabid defenders who can’t do maths and pedal everywhere either in 22-36 or 42-11 a 10-42 rear cassette with a 32t is 2ish gears less in range than a 24/38 double.

Assistance? not sure what for.
    If you want to buy a new bike go to some demo’s ride some bikes see what you think.
    Second hand go for it
    Most importantly it’s not a scene just go ride

sootyandjim
    Free Member

[Quote]Most importantly it’s not a scene just go ride[/quote]

I was at a loss at what other word to use to describe the all encompassing world that regular users of STW float around in (some “just ride”, others don’t), and as I fell out of love with cycling a few years back (selling all but one of my bikes) to then recently dip my toe back in, it is a strange new world.

rOcKeTdOg

Despite the hand wringing about niches above it’s still just about fun, there’s just more choice when it comes to tyre/rim width & travel. We’re still riding the same stuff, single track trails are still king & your 26″ wheeled bike can still cut it.
    Time to go try a few bikes & have fun

rickmeister

Mike,

It’s triples and 22 – 50 now….

Get with the programme…..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sorry I forgot 22/32/42 and 10-50 out back 😉

senorj

You also forgot to mention gravel core as well as disc brakes on road bikes.. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You also forgot to mention gravel core

I assumed the attention whores would be along shortly 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gravel core?

I assumed the OP was talking about MTBing, not canal tow path bikes.

senorj

🙂

tillydog
    Free Member

I assumed the attention whores would be along shortly

But you already mentioned fat bikes… 😉

boxelder

We’ve become tolerant and welcoming. It’s no longer in the rules to sneer at anyone/anything different.Two wheels? Pedals? Bueno.

Euro
    Free Member

Any assistance would be welcome

My i suggest an electric full suspension with + tyres.

If i may elaborate…The electric motor will make any uphills flat. The suspension at both ends will make the roughest of trails feel baby bum smooth and the + tyres will give you so much grip (and 74% of the grins associated with proper fat tyres) that you will never have to leave the saddle no matter how slippery the ground looks. Basically, in the years you’ve been away mountain bike equipment has evolved to the point that it’s hardly worth riding any more as the challenge has been removed.

If you persist in this silly notion that mtbing is as good as you remember you’ll need a few more things to keep you bang! on trend. Top of the list is a skillz lesson course. Jabba is the guy to see – he’s like magic man and transforms people who can’t even ride a bike into people who can ride a bike a tiny little bit. But the real magic is how he makes them think they are a riding god and are able to offer riding advice to others. It’s probably the second greatest magic trick ever.

You’ll also require a bike fit, three dozen ‘test’ rides*, a six pack of enduro and a couple of stravas. A useless folding spade for ‘trailbuilding’ – while not essential like the stuff above – is very useful for filling in any bumps in the trail that your suspension can’t cope with.

None of this essential stuff comes for free so if budget is a consideration then i’d suggest riding the bike you didn’t sell and ignore the bike press and websites like this one.

* A pros/cons spreadsheet for each of the bikes you test will help you decide which of the 36 bikes you tested makes mountain biking the easiest is best for you.

mechanicaldope

if budget is a consideration then i’d suggest riding the bike you didn’t sell and ignore the bike press and websites like this one.

Kind of, but things have moved on significantly. I too was away from cycling for some time (15 years) and when I started again it was on a bike I owned from that time (Specialized Hardrock Pro). Cos I wanted a new toy I replaced it with a Bird and the difference was amazing. Quite difficult to express how much better a modern geo and components are now compared to 1999.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Quite difficult to express how much better a modern geo and components are now compared to 1999.

You know they don’t like that sort of talk in here

BigDummy
    Free Member

sootyandjim

allthepies
    Free Member

The trails have changed massively in the last 5-10 years, 26″ wheels just can’t cope.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Hora hasn’t changed btw.
    🙄

perchypanther
    Free Member

We’ve become tolerant and welcoming. It’s no longer in the rules to sneer at anyone/anything different.Two wheels? Pedals? Bueno.

Not that tolerant. That’s a bit of a unicyclist-ist statement. 😀

hairylegs
    Free Member

The trails have changed massively in the last 5-10 years, 26″ wheels just can’t cope

A massive assumption that we all ride at trail centres? Natural trails are pretty much the same as ever!!

Just ride and have fun!

tomhoward

My i suggest an electric full suspension with + tyres.

😆 mine arrives a week on Tuesday 😳

One thing you’ll notice OP, is how cheap everything has now become…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A massive assumption that

The statement was serious…
    In serious terms the weather in the last 5 years has meant trail centres have remained the most consistent with heaps of mountain routes changed by landslide etc.
    😉

allthepies
    Free Member

8)

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Man, you missed enduro, it’s not cool anymore though because all us squishy middle aged morons have ruined it.

lunge

Buy a 27.5″ hardtail with along top tube, slack head angle and a steep ish seat angle. Put 130mm forks on it and 2.4″ tyres. Run a 1x Shimano drive chain with an 11-42 cassette, think about a dropper post too.

And smile, it’s not changed much, but it has changed a bit and those changes, if you can look beyond the BS, are changes for the better.

molgrips
    Free Member

What are “fatbikes” all about? Aren’t they meant for things like Iditarod?

People have discovered a few things about them:

1) They can be quite fun to ride on general trails due to enormous amounts of progressive grip

2) If you live near the coast a lot of riding in new places opens up.

3) They can open up lots of boggy messy trails in the mountains that you wouldn’t have bothered trying to ride in the past.

4) They make people look at you and marvel and constantly ask you about your bike, which some people like….

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just got back after 3.5 years injured out.

Injury meant I needed electric pedal assist.
    Lack of riding finesse meant I needed full suspension.
    Niche-whoreness meant I needed 650B+ tyres

Has taken a month or so to get used to riding at all and with all the changes especially.

Turns out it is all still fun and you ride at your own speed / ability (or slightly above it in my case) and the trails you ride reflect this.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Some interesting responses.

I’m not knocking the things I mentioned in my OP btw, just surprised about how much has changed in such a relatively short time.

Anyhoo, I’m currently arranging to get another Dialled Bikes Love/Hate so I can start singlespeeding on 26″ wheels. Old-fashioned or ‘Retro’?

😉

nickc

What are “fatbikes” all about? Aren’t they meant for things like Iditarod?

go and find one to play on, they are laugh out loud fun.

When I stepped away there were basically just 26″ and some 29″ wheels in use. What is with 650b, 650b+, 29+?

yeah it all got a bit out of hand 😆 …makes no odds really, find a bike you like and ride it

Electric motors on mountain bikes? Aren’t they just for shopping bikes?

yeah sort of, but folk who’ve given up or aren’t well/fit enough to do the sorts of riding they used to/want to do, are now finding that they have an access route back into what they love doing. It’s ace!

– Are front mechs ‘out’ now?

sort of, it depends… they’ve sorted out single chainrings that work without the need for all the chain devices. so you can if you want, but weirdly at the same time, front mechs work better than ever!

Any assistance would be welcome, these are strange times indeed!

welcome back…[bows deeply]

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

My ‘electric shopping bike’ in action at last weekends Baby Bike Bash

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GtZ35S]20160423_134257[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘A little help as I've been out of the scene for a while…’ is closed to new replies.