• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • A little careers advice needed
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I’ve been working for my current employer since last Oct and I enjoy the work and like my boss and the senior engineer, but the company is a bit sh*tty! (only small things, but they add up to not feeling appreciated).

I applied for a job earlier this week, through an agency and got a call yesterday saying they want me to go for an interview (which is great). My problem is that it turns out the company is a major rival (they won a big contract that my current company lost and both companies are on the same framework agreement with a specific company).

I’m going to go to the interview and see what comes of it (they might not like me or vice-versa), but would it be wrong to move do a competitor?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

If you get another job doing the same sort of work for another company in the same area, then you'd pretty much always be guaranteed to be working for a competitor.

Don't see the problem myself

hels
    Free Member

No. Why ? People do this all the time. Taking all your clients with you, that would be wrong. Walking out with half the IT equipment, also wrong.

Never forget that your company could turn around and get rid of you with no guilt or compunction ! If you were that valuable to them they would have you on some kind of bonus, golden hancuffs etc.

I would advise discretion tho e.g. don't tell the receptionists, PAs or admin assistants what you are doing.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

would it be wrong to move do a competitor?

That's what most people do when they move jobs within a given industry.

Ask yourself what your company would do for you when the chips are down….

don't tell the receptionists, PAs or admin assistants[b]anyone[/b] what you are doing

🙂

JEngledow
    Free Member

That's pretty much what I thought, but will still feel a bit like I’m letting down my colleagues!!

hels & deadlydarcy, the first thing anyone I work with will know about me looking at other jobs will be the day I hand in my notice

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve been working for my current employer since last Oct and I enjoy the work and like my boss and the senior engineer,

There is an old adage that people join great companies but they leave poor managers.

Any company you join is going to have faults and they will almost always be out of your control, unless you’re at the C-Suite level. Enjoying the work you do and having a great boss, right there are two things you should seriously think hard about before walking away from because they are the two single most important factors in almost everyone's sense of job satisfaction.

The company you join will also have faults. Perhaps you're a perfectionist and as a person are programmed to always see the things that could be better. Any move you make will then result in the same feeling of frustration. That's not a criticism, it's an observation of how people are sometimes.

Of course, your present employers faults could be serious, e.g. they're behaving unethically or maybe even illegally, in which case a move would be entirely understandable.

If you have a good relationship with your boss, why don’t you talk to him/her about the issues you have with the company. Even if all he/she does is listen and say I’ll see what I can do about fixing things, that’s still hugely motivational for most people because someone listened to you. You’ll be amazed at what might even get achieved; if the issues are small but numerous, think of the one thing you’d like to change and see what you, your manager and the senior engineer can come up with. If it all falls on deaf ears, then maybe at that point think about moving company.

Hope that helps and best of luck.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Not at all, plus if you get the job….. gardening leave!!

fadda

Exactly what geetee said.

Not saying don't do it; just make sure you're doing it with your eyes open.

Good luck!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'd echo GT72, I'd love a decent boss. Not wanting to patronise but are you fairly early in your career?

JEngledow
    Free Member

Thanks geetee, that makes alot of sence.

If you have a good relationship with your boss, why don’t you talk to him/her about the issues you have with the company.

We're a very small team in a second office and look after ourselves so tend to disscuss the issues that affect us. My main problems with my current company are all HR related and can't be changed (working times & conditions, T&C's and benefits).

I don't expect the grass to be greener, but do think I can get better so will see what happens (and at the end of the day at least I have a job!).

Thanks all 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

you owe your company absolutely no loyalty wahtsoever. It is a relationship governed by a contract of employment. If your present employer lost more work they would sack you the second they cannot make money from your efforts. Do what is best for you as I guarantee that is exactly what the employer would do in any situation. In any employment you always end up working for a competitior unless you radically alter jobs it is inevitable. Dont burn bridges mind you may be back one day

geetee1972
    Free Member

Psychological Contract

Not meant as a contradiction to Junkyard's comments, but it's very relevant to them and to this discussion.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Flaperon

Don't some contracts forbid working for a direct competitor for x amount of time due to fear of losing company IP to the new employer, or is that America only?

JEngledow
    Free Member

Thanks again, If anyoe gives a toss, I had an interview on Friday and had a very nice offer before I even got home (massive ego boost!!), so i'm going to have an informal chat with my current boss, but think I'm probably going to accept the offer 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

nice one

singletrackmind

Well done .

Any awkward questions about the reason for leaving your current position?

Bet your feeling tip – top today, so no hucking doubles and breaking your collar bone .

Stoner
    Free Member

Don't some contracts forbid working for a direct competitor for x amount of time due to fear of losing company IP to the new employer, or is that America only?

Contracts like that are unenforceable except by paying you to sit at home for the notice period within the contract. At some of the banks if you move to a competitor you will forgo any embargoed bonus payments.These are often delayed as a retention incentive.

CHB

well done.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘A little careers advice needed’ is closed to new replies.