Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • A lifetime search for the best beer. Only sold in Scotland. Argh
  • hora
    Free Member

How cruel is this? The only ale/beer etc that really really hits the spot.

And its only sold in bonny Scotland. Calledonian 80/- you **** beauty.

scotroutes

It’s really not that good. It has a typical “old school Scottish” over-sweetness.

Pretty sure it’s also available in bottles.

hora
    Free Member

I love the flavour. Just right.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The only ale/beer etc that really really hits the spot.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Interestingly this is the mental image I’ve always had of hora ^^

peterfile
    Free Member

I don’t suppose Buckfast also happens to be your favourite wine?

andymc06
    Free Member

I thought you meant Innis and Gunn!!!

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

I thought you meant anything from Brewdog!!

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Buntingford Polar Star, nothing comes even remotely close,
    it is THE GRAIL.

bigG
    Free Member

I have a similar geographically challenged desire for Wadworth 6X that I’ve never managed to buy anywhere other than the South West of England. Which is about 450 miles from where I live.

Cally 80 is a cracking pint right enough.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Brewdog? Trading on name only, nowt special and definitely not worth the cost.

Cally 80 is pretty good, surprised you can’t get it in Morrisons as they stock it up here IIRC and do a decent selection.

buck53

It’s a sweet-ish Scotch ale, right? That being the case then a darker Belgian beer f should go down pretty well, usually one or two of those in a decently stocked supermarket/offy.

athgray
    Free Member

Look out for beer from the Top Out brewery based just outside Edinburgh. Had one called Smoked Porter that tasted of bothies. That is a compliment btw. Probably the most deeply bodied beer I have ever tasted.

Spin
    Free Member

Brewdog? Trading on name only, nowt special and definitely not worth the cost

Why do they feel the need to print such a lot of guff on their bottles? It’s a beer not a lifestyle.

scotroutes
    bruneep

Spin
    Free Member

I’ll tell you what really is shite and also depressingly ubiquitous: most of the Cairngorm Brewery’s output.

Spin
    Free Member

Scotroutes, where is that Spey stuff on draught? I’ve never seen in the wateringholes I frequent down Spey way.

somafunk

I’m drinking a Spey Valley Stillman’s IPA at the moment, should go rather well with my stir fry later.

Also got a Thrappledouser from Inveralmond as above for later ^

Check out Aldi, they have a very decent real beer/ale section as that’s where the above two came from.

scotroutes

Spin – Member
    Scotroutes, where is that Spey stuff on draught? I’ve never seen in the wateringholes I frequent down Spey way.

Spey Valley Brewery products are almost always in the Mash Tun in Aberlour and in the Richmond Arms in Tomintoul. Other outlets tend to do it as a short-term guest beer.

Aldi had some bottled stuff on sale recently as part of their “Beer Festival”. I’ve three cases of SVB stuff in my garage at the moment 🙂

Spin – Member
    I’ll tell you what really is shite and also depressingly ubiquitous: most of the Cairngorm Brewery’s output.

I’m very partial to a Trade Winds, though I’m currently drinking a Caillie that was given me as part of a gift set for sorting out someones bike.

Spin
    Free Member

I’m very partial to a Trade Winds

It was because of Trade Winds that I included the ‘most’ in my post although even it is quite variable on draught.

I really shouldn’t complain, I remember the bad old days in Scotland when your choice was lager or heavy.

I’ll keep my eye out for SVB.

slowoldman

Well 80 bob is OK but…

Oh and I recall having Cairngorm Wildcat up north some years ago and thinking it was jolly good.

Smudger666

Red isle from Orkney? Or a dark isle. Om nom!

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

A lifetime’s search and Caley 80’s the best you cann come up with? Seriously?
    Deuchars IPA

Spin
    Free Member

Oh and I recall having Cairngorm Wildcat up north some years ago and thinking it was jolly good.

I’m probably just a bit pissed off with finding it everywhere and getting substandard pints.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

A lifetime’s search and Caley 80’s the best you cann come up with? Seriously?

Deuchars IPA

Seriously?

Spin
    Free Member

Deuchars IPA is nothing special but a good session ale.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Chubby, please see my gif posted above.

Oh, and enough with the boring Scotchish beers, people!

Mikkeler Monk’s Elixir, oak barrel cranberry version
    Oakham Green Devil
    Hop Back Summer Lightning
    Agatop Farm Beer*

*My home brew. 😉

Spin
    Free Member

Mikkeler Monk’s Elixir, oak barrel cranberry version

Fruit and beer? Get thee behind me satan.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh,and Speedway Stout.

somafunk

Mikkeler Monk’s Elixir, oak barrel cranberry version,……what?….Oh you mean Christian Kiddy Sucker, sweet dribbling monk-juice beer?.

I’m sure it’s nice if you like that sort of stuff…………. 😉

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Deuchars IPA is nothing special but a good session ale.

Quite. Available and reliable.

oak barrel cranberry version

PMSL – does it ome with an umbrella and a cherry ?

wallop

Tonight I had Brains British Summer – very nice!

rkk01
    Free Member

From the other end of the UK

That’s what we call a proper job 😉

nbt

I am a big fan of Cairngorm Brewery’s Blessed Thistle. Only ever seen it in Scotland, and only in bottles: would like to try some on draught.

allfankledup

Some interesting thoughts on here

Re 6x -when we lived in Devizes the more popular beverage was IPA

And for Scottish beer, Williams brewery from Alloa….

MrNice
    Free Member

another fan here of Deuchars IPA as reliably good. Not that I’m going to find it in yorkshire. And I guess it could have turned to pish in the last 15 years, but I used to like it. Maybe best to ignore me…

ElShalimo

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Thornbridge Jaipur
    Lovely lovely beer

Available south of the border

rkk01
    Free Member

Williams Caesar Augustus is a lovely drop

gordimhor

@ Athgray “Tastes like bothies” oatcakes and mouseshit bound together by a pale waxy substance that is all over the table 🙂 another vote for Innis and Gunn -whisky beer or Deuchars IPA

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘A lifetime search for the best beer. Only sold in Scotland. Argh’ is closed to new replies.