Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)
  • A Life less ordinary…
  • Kryton57

Does anyone else look around and despite your haves/have nots, achievements, material objects etc have a desire for “something” that you can’t put you finger on?

I appreciate there’s gazillions of us “normal”, day to day working, bike riding, family managing people in the world and most of us are just “one of the masses” but does no one else have a burning desire to be or achieve something “different” yet not know what that thing actually is?

I’ve been musing on this for ages, like years, it can’t just be me who does such musing?

CaptJon
    Free Member

What did you want to be/do when younger?

Kryton57

CaptJon – Member
    What did you want to be/do when younger?

Psychologically as far as I personally am concered, good question – I didn’t I just went with the cards I was dealt and here I am…

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

I just went with the cards I was dealt and here I am

I am doing the same right now. I thought exactly the same thing the other day. I’m 20, and in my second year of uni. What can I do that would go that extra way to no longer being one of the masses? I have always wanted to do more than others but lack inspiration for what to do

Solo
    Free Member

I’ve been musing on this for ages, like years, it can’t just be me who does such musing?

Nope, you’re not alone. However, rather than just musing, I’ve been actually screwing my life up for decades.

Just do it

😉

pudd
    Free Member

You think to much Stan.

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s called a mid-life crisis, isn’t it? 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

You think to much Stan.

I know. And my name isn’t Stan, btw.

EDIT:
    It’s called a mid-life crisis, isn’t it?

Not at 20yrs and only into 2nd year at Uni, I hope 😯

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

It’s called a mid-life crisis, isn’t it?

I hope not!

kayak23

Yes, I am always living with an ever present sense that there must be more to life than there is. Most will see this as very negative or depressing but there you go.
    As a consequence, the pj Harvey version of this song is like beautiful poetry to me…
    🙂

[video]http://m.youtube.com/?reload=3&rdm=mc3h05xc#/watch?v=O0ZUAorP0b4[/video]

Gunz
    Free Member

Spooky, thought this yesterday but in my case I had a clear idea of what I wanted when young and went on to achieve it. Now though, something’s scratching at the back of my mind. Hmmmm, must practice my dovetails and start churning out that bespoke furniture.
    On the other hand I suppose I should take a step back and realise that with a loving family, food, a dry bed and sport I love I’m about one hundred times luckier than most on the planet and I should stop my bitching (last comment no reflection on OP, hope you find what you’re looking for).

CaptJon
    Free Member

PeaslakeDave – Member
    I just went with the cards I was dealt and here I am

I am doing the same right now. I thought exactly the same thing the other day. I’m 20, and in my second year of uni. What can I do that would go that extra way to no longer being one of the masses? I have always wanted to do more than others but lack inspiration for what to do

So many students i teach are in the same position. By the third year more and more have a target. You’ve got a fantastic opportunity to try out loads of things – just do stuff and at worst you’ll eliminate stuff you don’t want to do.

pudd
    Free Member

My post was pitched at the OP.

silly solo.

bencooper
    Free Member

How about a hobby? I climb cranes at night and stuff like that – I would say it keeps me out of trouble, but really it does the opposite.

I think it’s normal to wonder what it’s all about sometimes – that’s why religion is so popular. I studied to be an astrophysicist and now I build bicycles – right decision or not I don’t know…

pudd
    Free Member

For all those folk seeking an ever greater sense of acheivement through material or positional gain; forget it, it doesn’t exist.
    Advice: settle down with a good lass, have kids and pass on what you’ve learnt. That’s the meaning of life. Have fun with your hobbies etc. Take nothing for granted and expect shit to happen. But most importantly make the most of what you’ve got, it really makes no difference if you have it all or nothing.
    Oh and stop reading magazines they’re written to make you feel inadequate and want stuff.

ourmaninthenorth

I think it’s normal to wonder what it’s all about sometimes

It’s essential. Just don’t let it stop you actually trying stuff out though.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

There’a a big aching gap in a lot of peoples minds that used to be where you might want to keep spirituality. It’s just enough space for desires and “what ifs” to echo and resonate. I find the more you learn and the more you see of the world, the bigger and hungrier the void gets. Mid life Crisises happen when the void implodes.

Trail buzz fortunatelly drowns out all of the nonsense.

If I was 20 and I didn’t know why I was doing my degree I’d take some time out, do a ski season, then a beach season and repeat until I’d talked to enough interesting people to make an imformed career choice.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’ve learned the most important thing in life is to be thoroughly decent and take great care of your family friends and others around you. Don’t think how can I make my life better…think how can I make other people’s lives better instead.

philconsequence
    Free Member

I’ve learned the most important thing in life is to be thoroughly decent and take great care of your family friends and others around you. Don’t think how can I make my life better…think how can I make other people’s lives better instead.

🙂 agreed but with the addition that sometimes you have to make decisions for your own gain as you cant help others if you’re not in a position to look after yourself properly, just try to ensure that the decisions for your own gain aren’t going to harm others, if that makes any sense?

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

If I was 20 and I didn’t know why I was doing my degree

I never said I didn’t know why I was doing my degree! (assuming that refers to my earlier post) I’m doing civil engineering, and am registered on the masters program, and hope to eventually become chartered. I don’t find that extraordinary. I am in no way complaining about my life, I am happy, however feel I am capable of doing more. Maybe my degree will lead me to make a difference in a place that needs it most, and that will satisfy my ambition to achieve, and change the world rather than just existing in it. But maybe I need to do more and go out of my way to make this difference. [/self-motivational speech]

druidh
    Free Member

+1

I was just thinking much the same yesterday watching the Go Pro ads. They’re not selling a camera for £400, they are selling you the idea that your life could be more exciting if you did stuff to warrant having one. 99.99% of them will be used to film someones descent of a trail centre that’s been done thousands of times already.

bencooper
    Free Member

If you buy this camera, you get to hang out with mermaids in bikinis.

piemonster

@Kryton

Ditto

piemonster

Advice: settle down with a good lass, have kids and pass on what you’ve learnt. That’s the meaning of life.

This^^

It is after all, what nature intended. Shelter, food, some security on top.

The rest is just guff to distract you along the way.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Kryton +1

bencooper – amazing blog and pictures. be careful 😉

Kryton57

*wonders who pudd is, he seems northern*

Advice: settle down with a good lass, have kids and pass on what you’ve learnt. That’s the meaning of life. Have fun with your hobbies etc. Take nothing for granted and expect shit to happen. But most importantly make the most of what you’ve got,

It seems Pudd knows me, so he’ll know that everything before “But” I’m doing. I’ve just had my second child and don’t get me wrong, I’ve scraped the bottom of the barrel many years ago and now I’m back sitting with a good career, nice house, wonderful wife, two great kids and four bikes which I enjoy a lot when I can not to mention my currently altering social circle. Thats a lot, and as someone mentioned I’m very lucky to have that, many don’t.

I just can’t help thinking there’s something else I can “achieve”. For those that implied asking, I’m 40 btw so mid-life crisis maybe? I dunno its not the first time I’ve thought this…

I’m also capable of the odd meltdown. Call it argumentative, or as Pudd mentions overthinking, or perhaps even a social inadequacy I do tend to get in some odd situations of my own making – I’m starting to wonder if this is caused by celebral frustration.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Strava?

Kryton57

freeridenick – Member
    Strava?

Done / doing with 2 x KOM 😀 and working on some other.

Stan is er, my real life nickname btw…. 😐

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I always wanted to start a family and now I’ve got one I do sometimes think “what next?” Is life now all about moulding my boys into mini-mes and making retirement plans? 😆

airborne
    Free Member

Agree with much of what has been written here and have concluded that material stuff (above a certain required level) doesn’t really bring any long term happiness.

I have however observed quite a few guys at work going part time in their 40’s and finding themselves a lot happier because of it. I actually think that the pace of work has accelerated so much that work that used to be quite enjoyable and even relaxing is now frenetic and stressful. Back in 1995 I worked with a couple of guys and we all loved cars so every morning we would stand around in the bosses office with a coffee chatting about Top Gear, cars, etc etc. It was a great way to start the day and I was much happier at work then. Like most human beings I don’t enjoy frenetic and stressful and am really happiest when I have a day off to spend with the family, mooching around, watching films, listening to music, cycling or whatever. The secret therefore is to spend more of your life on days off doing stuff you enjoy…

I just need to start living within my means to enable me to do that – although I’m starting to think that if I worked part time I would shop at Lidl instead of Sainsburys which would cut the monthly food and drink bill from £700-£800 to £400, couple that with less commuting cost, less tax, more homemade food rather than meals out or convenience food and I reckon financially I wouldn’t be that much worse off.

Maybe more of us should be thinking along the same lines…

Airborne

Kryton57

‘tortoise my mentally means my kids shouldn’t be mini me’s, they should be better than that. As for retirement plans, thats one of my thoughts.

I started to think the other day perhaps I should make “paying off the mortgage early” a focussed project, with influencers (like my job) a sub-focus to achieve that. I’m going to be 58/60 when my youngest is encouraged to leave home, and I’d really like to move somewhere nice and enjoy my twilight years with Mrs K without a financial burden. This though, is a personal goal, I’m thinking I’m looking for something that reflects positively on or contributes to others. I’ve started to think of charity work or similar as well…

Edit: Re airborne’s post. Dead right, I can remember years ago that out Tech Director would quote BlackAdder with much hilarity across the office, and encourage practical joking. We all however achived much in the early part of our careers. Now, its a grey box with an HR policy / corprate rues that weigh so heavily to stifle anything not classed as “mundane” in any aspect of the working day.

druidh
    Free Member

I think that’s the best plan. Resist “upgrading”, live with what you have, pay it off early. Folk are living healthy, productive lives well into their 70s and 80s now too, so it’s not like you need to do everything in the next couple of years either. Enjoy a long and stress-free retirement and you can do charity work then!

molgrips
    Free Member

I know what I want, and I have a few ideas on how to achieve it, but it’s not easy.

I want a means of earning money that doesn’t tie me to 40 hours a week 47 weeks a year or a specific location.

The big issue has so far been inability to pay off debts and the IT contractor trap, but my hand is now being forced, I have to make a plan so hopefully things can improve.. hopefully as ever…

druidh
    Free Member

So does everyone else

teasel
    Free Member

What the shit does celebral mean…?! 🙂

But seriously – no; I’m content with my life.

molgrips
    Free Member

So does everyone else

Yeah, I was in the situation to actually do it too but I messed it up.

Kryton57

teasel, Pudd touches on it – my mind races at 100mph even when I wake up at night – yet without much productivity.

I’m not the brain of britain but I feel if I has a focussed approach it’d calm down, or at least be channelled appropriately and not rampant with utter tosh as it is now. Hence Celebral (brain) frustration….

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’m on the lines of paying off the mortgage soon and cutting down to fewer hours. Life has to be lived not endured. Why work like a dog until retirement so you can live your less capable years with a bit more cash in your pocket?

druidh
    Free Member

Cerebral!!

Next time you wake up in the middle of the night, brain racing, try reading a dictionary 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Few folk have the luxury of doing both.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘A Life less ordinary…’ is closed to new replies.