Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • A Lancaster just flew past my house.
  • It’s 1940s weekend on the Severn Valley Railway and a Lancaster just flew down the river valley. 😀

It just flew back up again.
    I nearly missed it the first time as I thought it was a Hercules I could hear, we get them round here occasionally.
    This time I knew what to expect, so I ran out in the field for a better view.
    Awesome.
    I get a bit blasé about steam trains as I see them all the time.
    Seeing the upper side of the wings of a Lancaster as it banked for the turn was something new.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

One day one of those rickety old rust buckets is going to crash and explode in a ball of flames could be a child’s face. 🙁

What if, right, instead of open propellor systems, ‘planes used something like that Dyson Air Multiplier to produce thrust? Woon’t that be better, as the Air Multiplier is fifteen times more efficient?

No?

mogrim

What if, right, instead of open propellor systems, ‘planes used something like that Dyson Air Multiplier to produce thrust? Woon’t that be better, as the Air Multiplier is fifteen times more efficient?

Then you could inject the fuel directly into the path of the inset propellors, maybe tune the cowl to compress the airflow… Dunno, can’t see it working tbh.

Olly
    Free Member

lucky lucky barsteward.

having said that, i was tootling along the A303 the other week, and a Dehavilland Sea Vixen passed on my left, and then pulled a banked U turn in the road in front of me before heading back the other way down my right hand side. Wing tips dragging through the tree line. Beauuuutfiul

andyl
    Free Member

mogrim – Member

Then you could inject the fuel directly into the path of the inset propellors, maybe tune the cowl to compress the airflow… Dunno, can’t see it working tbh

hehe

The learners are out flying over my house again. Not quite as impressive as a Lancaster. One might crash though 😈

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Then you could inject the fuel directly into the path of the inset propellors

I wasn’t talking about that. I was just talking about using the propellor system on it’s own.

Could also be utilised in things like those swamp boats in Florida and that, hovercraft etc.

No?

billyboulders
    Free Member

Cool. Years ago I lived in the channel islands and the battle of britain memorial flight used to come over each year for liberation day. Can’t beat the noise of a Lancaster IMO, best engine sound going. Bear in mind MTG we’ve only heard the one and thats impressive enough, imagine the noise of squadrons of them, engines straining with a full load of tonnes of explosives passing overhead it must have been incredible. Or scary as hell, depending which side you were on.

ononeorange

MTG – This thread is useless without pictures!!

jackthedog
    Free Member

Bloody hell! In Sheffield, just reading this thread and heard a RR Merlin. Rushed outside to see a Spitfire flying over! Literally 30 seconds ago. Freaky timing.

keswiki
    Free Member

Its not a Lancaster, its THE Lancaster so dont be tempting fate talking about it crashing !

singletrackmind

I might be wrong here . I think its ‘The’ Lancaster , as there is only one left ,the ‘Phantom of the Rhur’ flying in Europe . Although it was painted up originally as the City of Lincoln . Superb sight . My mum used to listen to them take off from Lincolnshire during WW2, at dusk, then hear them coming back early morning.

waits to be corrected by those with immense knowledge on aircraft

Spud

Flew over my house around 11:00, we’re only a mile from Rolls Royce, Hucknall. Flew over, very low, banked and flew back for a second pass. Awesome!!

Cletus

I had the whole Battle of Britain flight go over my house (Cheltenham) on Monday. I was playing with my 4 year old daughter at the time and I think was confused as to why daddy was so excited.

molinifreeride
    Free Member

About 25 years ago there was the last flight of a squadron of Shackleton bombers flew over our house. These were the final version of Lancasters. The whole building was shaking with the vibrations.

andrewh
    Free Member

There is more than one Lancaster around, this is merely ‘THE’ flying one. At least two others which don’t fly.
    Pretty poor actually, considering they made over 25,000 of them! Surely we could have saved more.
    On a similar note, Vulcan at Waddington airshow today, off for a ride up that way on the road bike.

One of the (few) advantages of living in Lincolnshire is that we have the Lancaster and a Spitfire and Hurricane flying around fairly regularly, the BBMF is based not far away. I think the Dakota we get coming over is theirs too, but it doesn’t sound as nice.

RR Merlin is definately the best sounding engine ever made, would have loved to hear a thousand bomber raid setting off. Wouldn’t have liked to have been in Dresden when it arrived though…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I saw it near junction 26 of the m1 while walking the dog this morning. I did get a little video clip of it banking around. No idea how well it came out though.

crazy-legs

RR Merlin is definately the best sounding engine ever made, would have loved to hear a thousand bomber raid setting off.

+1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-UFCyrunpY

There are two flying Lancasters left, the one here and one in Canada. Lost count of the number of times I’ve seen it at airshows and the like, it’s still a thrilling sight/sound.

mildred

I’m quite lucky where I live – straight across from rolls-Royce in Hucknall – The BB flight often conduct an impromptu display above my house throughout the summer months. I’m told that a lot of the engine maintenance is carried out here, so they give the employees a treat when they drop in.

CountZero

Elfin, the propulsion system you’re describing is known as a ducted fan.

A ducted fan is a propulsion arrangement whereby a fan, which is a type of propeller, is mounted within a cylindrical shroud or duct. The duct reduces losses in thrust from the tip vortices of the fan, and varying the cross-section of the duct allows the designer to advantageously affect the velocity and pressure of the airflow according to Bernoulli’s Principle. Ducted fan propulsion is used in aircraft, airships, airboats, hovercraft and fan packs.[1]

grantway
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    One day one of those rickety old rust buckets is going to crash and explode in a ball of flames could be a child’s face.

probably soon Effinsafety has theres only Two left.

Spud

How many of us are there within a mile or so of each other around RR…

Northwind

It’s much cooler to see them in the wild than at sanitised air displays isn’t it 😉 We got a nice Vulcan overflight directly over our house last year, the thing’s not allowed to fly high so it just poses it’s way around the country, fab.

TooTall
    Free Member

I used to live half a mile from the BBMF and work 200 yards away. Terrible thing to have on your doorstep with all those lovely piston engines doing their thing and being thrown around the sky.

f***-all else good about living out there tho. Well – good pork pies and chine, but nowt else.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

This thread is useless without pictures!!

My Mother’s Brother, now passed, was a Lancaster Flight Engineer during WWII. Flew all but 1 mission of a full tour before the war ended. Only 1 crew member lost (in action to AA fire) & replaced.

stucol
    Free Member

Used to work on Strathallan’s Lanc (KB976) which is now in bits at Fantasy of flight in Florida. Doubt i will live to see it fly again.

Would love to see the Two airworthy Lancs in formation. It was meant to happen a couple of years ago but fell through.

Or better yet….two Lancs and the Vulcan in formation….mmmmmm !

mikertroid
    Free Member

A buddy of mine flies that. I’ll pass on your appreciation.

A stunning aircraft.

intode_void
    Free Member

About 8yrs ago I took my (now deceased) granddad (27 missions as a WWII Lancaster airgunner) to Duxford air museum for “The sound of freedom”; May Bank-holiday, 06.00ish dawn, a hundred or so veterans and their family, 2 Lancs start their engines, run them for ten mins or so and then roar them up to full power before a total shut down.

Incredible experience, goosebumps like you’d never believe, tears from veterans/sons/grandsons alike (curiously no girls there?) and something I hope I’ll never forget

Waderider
    Free Member

This thread is useless without pictures?

This thread is useless without sounds!

Gary_C

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-UFCyrunpY&playnext=1&list=PLAFC8E6776248A731[/video]

Oxboy
    Free Member

You lot are the cast of ‘Goodnight Sweetheart’ and I claim my five pounds!

(yes finally! :lol:)

Rockhopper
    Free Member

There were about 7300 Lancasters built, 17 still survive of which two are flying and one is being restored to flying condition (NX611 at East Kirkby).
    The Shackleton was a development of the Avro Lincoln which was itself a development of the Lancaster.

Yes, it’s remarkable how few aircraft of that age survive, not just Lancasters.
    Most of the old army trucks of that era that are still around only survived because they had a second life on timber or recovery.
    I guess there just wasn’t the same feeling of nostalgia back then as there was when steam was phased out in the ’60s.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I guess there just wasn’t the same feeling of nostalgia back then as there was when steam was phased out in the ’60s.

I suspect at the time the idea of preserving a huge number of machines at no small cost wouldn’t have been popular. Remember the country was virtually broke at the end of the war. I assume all those lovely machines got turned into saucepans etc.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Also, whereas an aircraft might corrode away in very quick order (or rot if wooden) steam engines are very substantial pieces of engineering indeed.

Northwind

Yup… Also steam engines were built for long service, warplanes not so much.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Was lucky enough to see THE Lancaster with a Spitfire and Hurricane fly up my street three years ago. The old Avro works at Leeds Bradford Airport is only a mile away. Still can’t believe how lucky I was, the hairs go up on the back of my neck thinking about it now.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘A Lancaster just flew past my house.’ is closed to new replies.