Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 143 total)
  • a idea………re classified scammers
  • Digger90
    Free Member

Digger90
    Free Member

Welcome back Freeform5spot / bustafjones / Peter Gratwick…

To clarify the errors in your reply:

You demanded the ‘quick transaction’ (not me) as you were ‘off to the Alps with your Cotic BFe and had to do it now’… hence your pressure to close the sale.

When it arrived, I raised with you my concern that the frame was a 2009 not a 2010. At no time did I accept that the frame was OK, or that paying for a 2009 frame which you sold as a “new 2010 warranty replacement” was OK.

You promised to send money for the brake caliper mounting bolt but you didn’t, did you?

You promised to send a replacement bolt, but you also didn’t do that, did you?

You did not state prior or during the sale that you had bought the forks off here and/or had never ridden them – if you recall, you sent me photos of the bike fully built up as you had been riding it, with those Lyriks on it…. so were you lying then, or are you lying now?

In any case – who and where you bought the forks from is irrelevant – you sold them via STW as being in perfect working order – then refused to take them back or pay for the repairs when TF Tuned diagnosed that they were in fact, utterly trashed.

As for the family solicitor – after your persistent refusal to even respond to my emails, calls and texts, what choice do I have? It afforded you the opportunity to put right your wrongs – which, par for the course, you ignored.

So, in summary:

– You lied about the age of the frame

– You lied about sending money to pay for the missing part, then lied again about obtaining a spare from your LBS

– You lied about the forks (TF Tuned, the experts, say they were obviously fecked – but maybe you know better?)

– You lied about the broken seatpost (Specialized UK, the experts, said they were obviously fecked – but maybe you know better?)

Still awaiting your recompense Peter… I guess the best test of whether you are genuine or not is to refund in full the £300 repair bill that I have had to foot.

Not doing so only compounds the situation.

I look forward to hearing from you.. and we’ll post the outcome on here to expose whether you can be trusted or not for everyone on this Forum to see.

How about it?

daver27
    Free Member

It would take a little work, but based on a feedback system, how about a 3 strikes and you are banned for a month from selling, 3 more and banned for life? easy to block IP addresses.
    I know digger personally and having seen the trouble he has had with the forks in question and missing parts and all the broken promises and chasing he has had, i would not touch the seller in question with a barge pole. the fact others have had similar experiences speaks volumes about the type of seller he is.
    why is he not barred from selling on here?

uplink
    Free Member

easy to block IP addresses.

& just as easy to use another one

hopefiendboy

I’ve only been burnt once before- all other times things have been as described.

Tough one to regulate. I used to go by how long the person was registered on their profile.

Other than that i hope all others I have dealt with both selling and buying have been happy!

wrighty9696
    Free Member

Lmao @ a private seller this week alone selling two titanium bikes, a carbon one plus a hardcore downhill rig

And also having the face to mention he even has a tame lawyer to help his business

WTF who else has their own lawyer?

He’s trade and it’s easy to see how much money he’s made over the years

But the first rule of trade I’d look after your customer base isn’t it?

peteimpreza

who was it wrighty?

scaredypants

I’m guessing it’s bustafa5spot

lalazar
    Free Member

ton – Member
    so just to clarify………….
    is freeform5spot/bustafajones/peter gratwick the same person???

If I remember correctly Ton it should be :

Wheelsonfire/bustafjones/freeform5spot = Peter Gratwick

Digger90
    Free Member

Yes,

freeform5spot = Peter Gratwick = bustafjones

He’s a trader – and not a good one at that, see above.

He scammed me out of £300 over the Turner, Lyriks and seatpost I bought off him, as he has done to others on here.

I am sure, of course, that is a fine upstanding citizen and has reported his trading revenues to the relevant tax authority…. hmmm, who’s betting on that then? 👿

wrighty9696
    Free Member

if he has a lawyer then he must have an accountant too

His turnover must be mahoosive
    Selling here with different IDs plus eBay, bikeradar, bikemagic, gravity slaves and others presumably with multiple aliases on all of them too

He totally must be legit and pay tax

There’s no way you could keep a turnover of 3-6k a month under the radar is there?

And who wants a nice patriot and some expensive parts for it?
    There’s a beaut on eBay and bikeradar at the mo
    Do you think it comes with all the bits for the rear caliper?

Digger90
    Free Member

IIRC, he forwarded me his solicitor’s response to him, which pretty much said he should pay up the 50% I’d suggested, put it down to experience and move on.

He’s obviously too stupid to even take his own lawyers advice!

What a nob.

daver27
    Free Member

easy to block IP addresses.

& just as easy to use another one

If you employ what a lot of the motor Forums (can only start trading once you have 50 posts in other no trading areas of the forum) and apply this everytime they re register or there is a new IP address, it will deter a lot of the fraudsters. they are in it for a quick buck, that stops them.

Digger90
    Free Member

An update:

I found all the recent for sale ads that ireallylovebikes (freeform5spot / Peter Gratwick / bustafajones etc) has made on Bike Radar and made a few replies..

Within less than 12hrs Bike Radar’s Moderators removed all his posts.

Plus it looks like they’ve restricted his account – see below.

I then received a PM from Peter Gratwick via Bike Radar asking for my details so that he can pay the money he owes… Let’s see if he does, and I will keep this post updated with progress.

Chipps & STW Moderators – if Bike Radar’s Mods can act so swiftly/decisively to restrict a professional trader’s abuse of their Forum why didn’t/don’t you?

Xylene
    Free Member

I then received a PM from Peter Gratwick via Bike Radar asking for my details so that he can pay the money he owes… Let’s see if he does, and I will keep this post updated with progress.

I would rather just keep messing up his business rather. It would be more satisfying in the long run.

hora
    Free Member

Use common sense.

If its an expensive item – arrange to collect or drive to.

I wouldn’t pay £600 for an item from someone that I’d never met.

I’ve bought the odd £200-£300 item but I have secured work and home address details first. If I was to be stung I was more than willing to drive any distance to visit these. Otherwise I wouldn’t bother.

The amount of time I’ve posted ‘oh I’d really like that but your too far for me/too new’ just as a reality-check to somepeople who have posted on the same thread excitedly demanding the goods/dibs asap….

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Quirrel – Don’t be a fool. It’s not about some sort of teenage vendetta. The OP has received an offer to sort things out financially. Leave it at that.

Hora- I agree which is why we need some sort of system. Wether that’s 50 posts before you can trade or something else. The lack of discussion from Moderators is somewhat concerning. It seems that it’s fine to ban people for swearing but not to enter in debate into ways to improve the forum for the users. If it’s a time/resource issue I’m sure that there would be a number of users willing to be a ‘trading mod’. Myself included.

Xylene
    Free Member

Don’t be a fool. It’s not about some sort of teenage vendetta. The OP has received an offer to sort things out financially. Leave it at that.

Vendetta? I was thinking more vigilante.

Drac

Chipps & STW Moderators – if Bike Radar’s Mods can act so swiftly/decisively to restrict a professional trader’s abuse of their Forum why didn’t/don’t you?

There’s a lot goes on behind scenes that goes unnoticed at times. This thread has started discussions but some idea can’t happen over night. Anyone we believe to be trade has their account blocked, as we are volunteer plus ST staff who are busy with the mag and other projects we rely on tip offs so we can look into the concerns.

Either email us or more effectively click a report post and add you concerns. we are looking into this with some concern but please give us a little time and don’t expect a massive change too quick.

uplink
    Free Member

If you employ what a lot of the motor Forums (can only start trading once you have 50 posts in other no trading areas of the forum) and apply this everytime they re register or there is a new IP address, it will deter a lot of the fraudsters. they are in it for a quick buck, that stops them.

some ISPs will allocate a new IP every time you logon
    + people will have different IPs from their home PC, their work PC & their mobile

IP blocking isn’t the answer

Digger90
    Free Member

Drac – thanks, that’s good to know.

I did email the STW Mods twice about freeform5spot, but received no reply.

I think this post says it all really – there’s surely more than enough meat in here for you to look into.

If you’d like more specifics I’d be happy to help – just send me a PM or email.

Digger90
    Free Member

Hora, you’re right of course – it was my mistake to trust him. However, I believe in the benevolence of STW Forumers.. and my trust in people on this Forum has over the past many years only once been proven to be wrong – with freeform5spot. Maybe I’m naive, but STW is a Community.

This morning Peter Gratwick asked for my details to pay back what he owes. Let’s see if he does. If he pays up, then so far as I’m concerned this particular matter will be closed.

If he doesn’t, well, watch this space!

Regardless: STW desperately needs some kind of Seller/Buyer Feedback rating and this would help us all as this episode has proven.

uplink
    Free Member

Mr fivespot appears to be a blocked user on here now too

Mark

I did email the STW Mods twice about freeform5spot, but received no reply.

We get a lot of reports every day and it’s impractical for us to reply to them all. We look into them all and take any action we think is necessary. Often this is a quiet word in the ear of the offender – sometimes it’s a ban. Either of which would not be entirely obvious to the many who reported them. So please don;t assume that if you get no reply from the moderators that nothing has been done.

Mark

I wouldn’t say that there was a desperate need for a new system, although we are looking at options to improve it. The truth is that there are hundreds of transactions every day that go ahead smoothly and without any problems. These don’t get reported of course. The handful of cases where something goes wrong are almost always brought up in open forum and are hence very prominent. This gives a slightly skewed impression of a classifieds that is rife with corruption and scammers. The simple fact is that the vast majority of sales go without a hitch. The solution to us seems to need to involve a mechanism that makes visible to majority of the ‘hitchless’ transactions.

There’s been some good ideas on this thread so keep them coming.. we are listening.

Digger90
    Free Member

He was active on here 1hr 35mins ago…

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Perhaps there could be a query section for those sales that don’t go according to plan ie, delay with postage, item not arriving problem with payment, the members involved would stay in the query section until the dispute is resolved. If the problems are not resolved then its up to the mods to take the appropriate action by blocking or banning them. Or anyone posting items for sale must give a valid address or proof they are genuine that can be kept by the moderators and not disclosed almost like an intermediary. Not fully sure if these ideas are workable, just a suggestion.

Digger90
    Free Member

Personally, I think the simplest idea is to create a “Feedback Forum” where people’s Usernames can be listed and Buyers/Sellers post their experiences – or not – as they see fit.

That keeps it separate from spamming up the main Bike or Classifieds Forums, and would make it the ‘go-to’ place to see a Seller’s rating.

uplink
    Free Member

well, I guess he was blocked after that then?

Drac

The Profile may show that as he’s probably tried to get on.

jimmy

FWIW I’ve bought a few bits from Pete and vaguely know him as a result. Never had any issues and he seems a decent bloke; clearly not everyone’s experience but I doubt everyone who has been happy with his service will be shouting up.

goodgrief
    Free Member

I’ve just found out this guy Pete is bidding on an ebay item I’m selling under his freeform5spot user name.
    If he ends up winning, should I be apprehensive about taking his money? is it worth the potential hassle??

Andyhilton
    Free Member

No. You shouldn’t be apprehensive. He has no history of being anything other than straight in any purchases. You also have ebay/paypal as protection. This particular issue I think has just got a little out of hand. The OP is in the process of resolving his issue and the mods have taken the action that they deem appropriate.

Another idea which may work is to close the classifieds to anything other than registered/verified users. ie only the Bike and Chat forums are only able to be view when a user is logged in.

Xylene
    Free Member

his particular issue I think has just got a little out of hand.

You seem to be championing him on this thread.

He has no history of being anything other than straight in any purchases

Unless you are the purchaser it, appears.

It took this thread and action on the OP’s part to get a response. Is the freeform5spot user to be let off the hook because he has paid up this time?

Sound like this was a pointless thread if that is the case.

bruneep

I bought something from Mr Gratwick, It took a gentle reminder a few days after I paid for him to post the item. It did arrive as described but the delivery was slow.

B

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Quirrel. I haven’t ‘championed’ anyone! Please try and get a sense of perspective.

I have stated fact in my last post. As a seller there are some instances of him being slow to post. Something I am guilty of too. As a buyer there is no evidence to suggest that you wouldn’t be paid. If you really don’t want to sell, then cancel the bid.

What hook is Freeform5spot being let off? He’s had his account suspended here, and on bikeradar by the look of it. He’s been publicly outed in this thread which I would find personally unpleasant. I presume something has been said on Bikeradar.

Following the start of this thread he has come forward and offered to make amends. Arguably this should have all gone on behind closed doors, so to speak and preferably before this thread got going.

I have made my views on traders on the forum clear and suggested a number of ways we could control who uses the trading forum. I have bought things from (and met) Pete on a couple of occasions and he seems like a decent guy. I think things have gotten a little out of hand. However; as I said, this is now being rectified. I haven’t had problems with anything I bought from Pete and a friend on here (JonR) has bought stuff off him too. There are also a few other people on here who have bought from him and it’s been fine. Judging my the amount of stuff he’s shifted then the odd trade doesn’t go quite as smoothly. You get that in shops too though don’t you?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

so who votes for a feedback subforum???

I’ve already started.
    I’ve just bought some £50 brakes from Jimmy-s3 who didn’t have a big posting history. I thought about backing out of the purchase at one point, as it felt like a shot in the dark, but he answered all my emails every evening, we struck a deal and the brakes arrived quickly, just as described and pictured.

So I left some feedback on the for sale thread which anyone can check as has been suggested many times. No, it’s not perfect, but I’m well known on here so it’s a start.
    We don’t need the mods help to start the ball rolling, we just need to get on with it ourselves!
    But a sticky at the top of the classifides would help things along, which would take very little effort…. How about it mods? 😀

Digger90
    Free Member

As a seller there are some instances of him being slow to post.

Er, there is evidence of much more serious issues with freeform5spot than slow postage Andy!

Following the start of this thread he has come forward and offered to make amends

And hasn’t done so yet – let’s wait and see whether he does make amends or not.

Arguably this should have all gone on behind closed doors, so to speak and preferably before this thread got going.

It did – I tried in vain for SEVEN MONTHS(!) to resolve this with freeform5spot / Peter Gratwick / bustafajones. This is all detailed in this thread.

I’m not the OP, I replied to the OP’s suggestion of a Seller Feedback rating or forum, which is a very good idea I think. Hence my reply. In it I mentioned the one and only person I’d had a poor experience with, freeform5spot, and doing so kicked off this debate.

I’m pleased that it did. If Peter Gratwick does actually make amends then so far as I’m concerned my issue with him over that sale is done. However, this thread (and others) have exposed him as a professional Trader with unreliable trading practices that lowers the standards of the STW Classifieds for legitimate buyers and sellers on there.

This is not about just being late to the Post Office.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

I bought a XTR chainset from him but I was unsure due to the number of sales & what people were saying about him so I drove 2 hours each way to pick them up & paid cash.. Any body what his address?

We deffo need a feedback system to rate buyers / sellers.

hora
    Free Member

My proposal:

1. Keep it as it is.

2. Use your **** common sense.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘a idea………re classified scammers’ is closed to new replies.