Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • a 'how much is it worth' thread.
  • ton

if you had a bike that cost you £3400 and you had only ridden it 10 times since buying it, and felt that you may not be able to ride it to it’s potential, how much would you be looking to sell the bike for?

scotroutes

It has a rarity/niche factor that could either increase its value or drop it significantly. I’d have thought though that you’d hopefully be looking at £2,500. You have to bear in mind the lack of warranty (though I’m not aware of any huge problems with Mr Jones’s frames).

More to the point, who cares if you’re not riding it “to its full potential”. Are you enjoying it? How many folk are riding on 160mm Enduro-sleds and how many of those can fully exploit one?

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

to be honest as much as you want to sell it for it, but it will all depend on what the current market is willing to bear.

gauge what other similar bikes are selling for and go from there on usage factor etc

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Would depend on a few things – if it were an XS or XL 26″ Wheeled bike from 5/6 years ago not a lot.

If it were a ‘Rad’ 27.5″ bike from this year with good spec parts I’d split and expect decent return.

Road/Tourer/Cross bike I have no idea…..

Though is it an XL 29er?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To be honest it’s not how many times you’ve ridden it, it’s how old it is. How old is it? (Model year)

firestarter
    Free Member

Less than you think or hope as I sadly just found out with my shand 🙁

jambalaya
    Free Member

I can’t ride any of my bikes to their potential.

Basil

What he said

matt_outandabout

Just ride it.

ton

Just ride it.

i have been trying to ride it for the last 6 weeks, whilst wearing a air cast, then once the air cast was removed, and now that i have the all clear.
    dont feel strong enough in my legs as yet. and it is a lot of bike to have sat doing nothing.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Shame.

dickie
    Free Member

dont feel strong enough in my legs as yet

then be patient until you are!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Dude, you sound depressed, which is no reason to sell a nice bike! I have ten nice bikes sitting there doing nothing most of the time (I can only ride one at a time). Looking at them, indoors, makes me excited about riding them again. Bikes are the coolest bit of inspirational decorative art a house can have. They are great, even when they are doing nothing.

Keep it. 🙂

fasthaggis

Could you fit an electric bike conversion kit until you got back up to speed?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Surely the beauty* of a jones is its still nothing will age or become obsolete.

Just wait until you love it again?

*probably one of the ugliest suspensionless bukes going 😛

chestrockwell

You’ll lose a lot more than you want so keep it until you are match fit. Even if you decide to sell then it’ll still be worth a similar amount to now.

ton

i was just thinking that,
    a. it is so ugly, nobody would want it anyway.
    b. i have wanted a jones since they were 1st made. the plus is the 1st one suitable for my size.
    c. it will spur me on to get fit again.

firestarter
    Free Member

When your better we can have a Jones ride 🙂

ton

just seen your Mick. looks nice that mate.

oink1
    Free Member

Dont flog it ton – you’ll regret it later! 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers only been out on it the once so far but it is really nice

thestabiliser
    Free Member

just seen your Mick. looks nice that mate.

Well this threads gone a different way than expected

metalheart
    Free Member

Jeez, who the **** cares if you never ride it to it’s ‘potential’.

Do you enjoy it? Are you going be any happier after losing money and buying something else that you’re not going to ride to it’s potential? I doubt it… 😉

You’re recovering from a pretty serious op, go easy on yourself man. Rome wasn’t built (like a brick shitehouse) in a day.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Oh, a change of heart?

I hope so. Jones bikes are really works of art, something you keep and grow into then they become a part of you, adds to your identity.

Tazzys had plenty (and singlespeedstu), have a chat with them first before you do commit totally to selling it.

And whilst it may not look the ballz, what about fitting an aftermarket electric motor to assist you until some fitness returns.

You looked way happy in last weeks photo on your bike, that’s great. Fitness and enjoyment will return soon enough.

singlespeedstu

Tazzys had plenty (and singlespeedstu), have a chat with them first before you do commit totally to selling it.

I’ve just sold my last Jones. 😆
    I’d be more tempted to keep a Jones+ though and if i buy another it’ll be a +.
    Since I’ve been riding longer bikes the spaceframe just feels way too short for me.
    Seriously Ton you’d be daft to sell it.
    It looks like it fits you perfectly and they look to be a great all round bike for the type of rides you seem to post up about doing.

tazzymtb

Stu mainly rides downhill from the pub to the kebab shop these days.

Jones are sodding brilliant, I’d keep it Tony. To be honest sounds like you’re on a bit of a bleak at the moment, if you fancy catching up for a Jones bimble give me a shout.

bikebouy
    Free Member

And there I was thinking of all people I could rely on you two..

😆

Have fun.

ctk
    Free Member

Now is the worst time to sell a bike. Leave it til next year you will get more money for it.

I don’t know anything about your condition but maybe suspension might be easier on the body?

As for getting the full potential out of a bike- shouldn’t be a consideration!

singlespeedstu

Stu mainly rides downhill from the pub to the kebab shop these days.

Buuurp. None of that salad shit mate oh and bang some extra chilli sauce on for me please. 😉

ton

all noted gents and appreciated.

gonna keep it for now. get some long steady touring miles in over the winter, and see how i feel about it come spring, hopefully by then i will be a lot fitter and able to ride it.

scotroutes

#humblebrag

😆

firestarter
    Free Member

Good as it’s the only bike I’ve seen that looks normal in your size 🙂

bigblackshed

I’ll give you 500 pie tokens. These will be cheap tokens, mind.

#BeingSeriousForAMoment.

Keep it. Look at it’s beauty. Then ride it. You’ll regret selling it.

bikesian65
    Free Member

Ton – keep it! I find I am up and down with my Jones space frame depending on my fitness – I think that you have to be relatively fit to get the best out of a Jones. I went though a phase early in the year when I was obsessed about how heavy the Jones was ( its a steel one) now at the end of the year I don’t notice it. Just had a shoulder operation and will be off the bike for a while so I expect when I start again I will be worrying about the weight all over again …………….

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘a 'how much is it worth' thread.’ is closed to new replies.