Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • A heavy box of peace of mind !!
  • rustydonkey
    Free Member

I received a heavy box of peace if mind in the post this morning, to lock my Zesty in the garage.
    The chain is 13mm and weighs 7.6kg. The ground anchor is Sold secure Gold in all categories. The padlock is Sold secure Gold motorcycle and the chain is Sold secure Gold bicycle. I have placed a £1 coin between the padlock and ground anchor to show how big the stuff is.
    I have nothing to do with the sellers and found them through the Sold secure website http://www.soldsecure.com/
    This heavy box cost me £160.75 inc vat and delivery from http://www.torc-anchors.com/index.php The quality of the product is far better than i was expecting. It may sound like a lot of money but to make sure £1000’s worth of bike stays in my garage is cheap in comparison.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Portable power drill and 2 minutes and I’d be through those bolt heads and walking away with the lot. Screws and bolts have no place in a security system, even with ball bearings in the top of them. Concrete-in solutions are far better.

warton
    Free Member

how do you secure the ground anchor? what do the bolts screw into?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

One big pinch bar and a trolley jack and i’d be gone with all your kit in less than 60 seconds.

wwaswas

depends where the acnhor’s attached – I have mine half way up the garage wall and behind 3 bikes that are hanging from the ceiling – access is a right pain even to do the locks up (I have these around the anchor too so it – and they – are less exposed).

geoffj

Two HB pencils and a stick of juicy fruit and I’d have that lot away (and melted down) in 5 seconds.

rustydonkey
    Free Member

I know a little about crime, security and crime prevention. No security system is infallible. The idea of a security system is to deter opportunistic thieves or make the effort/risk factor too much for the reward. If somebody is prepared they will take whatever they want no matter what security it has. The idea is to make next door look like an easy target and make them the victim not you. Now everybody saying i would be through that in no time with etc. etc. how would you know what tools to turn up to my house with, even if you knew what bikes i kept in the garage? Then you would be stupid to think that this would be the only layer of security you had to deal with whilst defeating the locks.
    The idea of this post was not to give the internet warriors a chance to show how ‘ard or what a criminal master mind they are but to provide people with a relatively inexpensive and very secure system of how to keep their bikes safe

warton
    Free Member

so can the bolts that attach the ground anchor just be unscrewed, o do the heads come off or something (serious question, I am interested in getting something like this, I just don’t see whats to stop a thief unscrewing the bolts)

chakaping
    Free Member

Two HB pencils and a stick of juicy fruit and I’d have that lot away (and melted down) in 5 seconds.

😀

But seriously, I bet you’d need to use 2H pencils at least.

molgrips
    Free Member

I mounted the ground anchor in mine left to right rather than front to back, so you can’t really get a long bar and jack in there. Even if you broke the anchor you’d have to get 7 bikes out of a very cramped garage all locked together.. not easy.

However, RD – Sold Secure Gold rating is bobbins, as the last thread on bike locks showed.

wwaswas

warton – you hammer some ball bearings into the hex/tork holes int he bolt heads.

verses

I might be being a numpty, but it doesn’t look like the pad lock will fit two chain links in it. Are both ends of the chain supposed to fit in there?

molgrips
    Free Member

One end goes through the other, padlock stops it coming out again.

spock
    Free Member

warton – Member
    so can the bolts that attach the ground anchor just be unscrewed, o do the heads come off or something (serious question, I am interested in getting something like this, I just don’t see whats to stop a thief unscrewing the bolts)

POSTED 1 MINUTE AG

You hammer in ball bearings to the heads of the bolts

warton
    Free Member

aah I see.

I think the OP has a good point, this will almost definitely put off the oppurtunistic thief, and I imagine it’s very rare for a theif to come back to a house he’s broken into with new tools for the job

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not that convinced about ground anchors and chains and have been thinking of alternatives for secure bike storage. Had been thinking of some sort of bike cage.

What will actually stop determined thieving scum? (other than a cricket bat round the back of the head)

molgrips
    Free Member

I imagine it’s very rare for a theif to come back to a house he’s broken into with new tools for the job

I don’t.

warton
    Free Member

molgrips, how common is it then? considering how few and far between proper robbers are (as oppssed to little scrotes that don’t really know what they are doing), how many will take the risk of returning to the scene of a previous break in to have another go? very few IMO

mrblobby
    Free Member

We had some thieving scum break into our office and pinch a bunch of laptops off the desks. They came back a couple of days later with a crow bar to steal the laptops that had been locked in drawers. They even stole the contents of our tuck shop!

So, yes, thieving vermin do come back if you make it worth their while and don’t make things more secure.

warton
    Free Member

yes, they do, but howe common is it? not very IMO

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Those bolts are also epoxy resined into the concrete.

I do think that style of ground anchor is less good that the one I got from TORC – mine has a plate that rotates on top of the baseplate, so you can only get at one bolt at a time. I got the 16mm chain, super heavy duty. You’d have to be there a while with a petrol diamond disc grinder, and when you’re halfway through the chain the garage will fill with smoke.

They’d still have them if they really weanted them – that is what insurance is for – but you just have to make it a serious PITA and they’d have to come seriously tooled up.

camerone
    Free Member

i have this exact system in my shed. Bolts go into resin which sets in concrete. the fundamental thing for me was that its got my insurers seal of approval. i then have really flimsy hasps and crappy padlock outside shed to make it look like I am not trying to protect anything valuable..

rustydonkey
    Free Member

When i said “I know a little about crime, security and crime prevention” take that as tongue and cheek, It’s my job and i get rewarded handsomely for my knowledge and experience.
    Gold secure and Thatcham are not the be all and end all in security grading, however they are the only 2 in the country that we have that give a grading of similar products from different manufacturers and therefore allow us to be able to compare how secure similar products from different manufactures are. So if we buy a product that has one of the highest ratings from one of these two we know that the chances are that there won’t be many if any more secure products on the market. Rather than take a guess and buy a product from the manufactures marketing.
    A big part of security is advice of how to use the product, as many people have pointed out the anchor will not be in the middle of a nice industrial unit floor for you to work on in relative ease with tools of your choice, it will be in a corner or on a wall behind the item that you want to steal.
    There are two types of thief, The professional and opportunistic scrote.
    The scrote will not normally do too much damage to your property force a door or window but most likely through an open window or door (Thats why they are opportunistic) and take what ever is desirable by the masses and therefore easy to move on. The scrote will not carry any tools and if he needs to force entry will use whatever tools are available at the property, as he will be known to the police and likely to be stop and searched which would leave him liable to arrest for “going equipped” if he was found with any tools on his person. He would only return if there were high value items that weren’t locked in anyway but this is very unlikely as he is opportunistic and his life doesn’t have much structure.
    Normally after someone has been a victim of crime, their firist reaction is to up the security so it doesn’t happen again. Thus if/when the scrote decides to return he is faced with more security than he was pepared for and will not bother but we will never know this.
    The professional thief will turn up with an array of tools and will take the first time what he came to get. He will not return.

Now that’s enough work on one of my rare days off.

toys19
    Free Member

warton – Member
    yes, they do, but howe common is it? not very IMO

Ahh but your opinion is misinformed. According to my mate who works in fraud detection in the insurance industry, if you get broken into you are 9 times more likely to be broken into again in the next 3 months and this goes down to 4 times more likely to be broken into again in the next 12 months. Some say its down to the sense of security or confidence they get from successfully burglarising the place once, makes it easy to go back. Or that they think you will have new kit from the insurance.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What’s the tube for?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Blowing the concrete dust out of the holes, so the resin can bond better.

Wozza
    Free Member

Attach these to the top of the bolt heads and you’ll be sorted.

R.lepecha

Anyone think speaking about how your bikes are locked on a easily visible internet forum is a stupid thing to do? What if some one knows where you live and they now know what they need to knick your pride and joy(s), your bikes.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Anyone think speaking about how your bikes are locked on a easily visible internet forum is a stupid thing to do? What if some one knows where you live and they now know what they need to knick your pride and joy(s), your bikes.

Doesn’t really make any difference does it, the tools required to pinch from most locking methods are the same and will be in the back pocket of any serious theif. Portable drill, big f off pair of bolt cutters and a crow bar would get you through most stuff.

molgrips
    Free Member

You can’t bolt-crop an Almax chain, apparently.

5thElefant
    Free Member

We had some thieving scum break into our office and pinch a bunch of laptops off the desks. They came back a couple of days later with a crow bar to steal the laptops that had been locked in drawers. They even stole the contents of our tuck shop!

I turned up at a major catalogue retailer in the grim north to do some consultancy. I went home again. Somebody had stolen their AS400 from their server room.

Oh… all that big chain will mean is they’ll cut the frame to nick the bike.

mamadirt
    Free Member

I can vouch for that big-ass chain and lock – use mine in work and for trips to the shops (yes really) . . . if you ever see me with a rather sagging backpack, riding very slowly, I’m on the way to the shops 😆

daznal
    Free Member

You’d have to be there a while with a petrol diamond disc grinder, and when you’re halfway through the chain the garage will fill with smoke

Just thought on sthyl saw with above mentioned disk is in the garage along side my secured bikes,have to do something about that.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘A heavy box of peace of mind !!’ is closed to new replies.