a good trail for Thursday in Shropshire?

Home Forum Bike Forum a good trail for Thursday in Shropshire?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • a good trail for Thursday in Shropshire?
  • astura

Got Thursday for all day riding, I want to discover more stuff locally, I have been over the wrekin, parts of the long mind never been to Eastrington so thought I would give this a try, does anyone recommend this? I’m after something with nice singletrack with a few drop offs

jekkyl

http://www.mountainbikingshropshire.co.uk/trails.html

I believe eastridge has some very steep tracks from the pics I’ve seen and there’s vids on youtube of course, but I’ve never been. Hopton woods also gets good comments but I’ve never been there either. Ride report with pics if you go plz. 😀

chvck

I love Eastridge, short but really knackering! Some of the descents are reasonably steep (as are some of the climbs). There are also the old DH tracks and a wealth of off piste too (some of that is fairish steep!). The DH tracks have a few jumps n drops.

astura

Thanks for the comments will be sure to add a report. Lol at my first post, predictive text!

Premier Icon Nick
    Subscriber

A loop around Eastridge will take about 45 minutes.

If you have all day I would park in Pontesbury and ride around Earls Hill to Habberley, then on to Eastridge.

Ride through Eastridge on the fireroad an pop out just above Snailbeach.

Climb up towards the Stiperstones, heading first for Blakemoorgate then up to Shepherds rock, turn right at cross roads and head down (fun) to Stiperstones Village.

Enter local shop and marvel at what you will find in there. Depending on time of day buy beer in pub next door.

Then head along the road to Tankerville then take the track back up to Shepherds Rock.

Retrace your steps towards Snailbeach by bombing downhill as fast as you can, then climb back into Eastridge.

Just inside Eastridge turn left and enjoy the trails back to the way you came back into the forest. Then a nice leisurely cruise back to Pontesbury.

Doable in 2-2 1/2 hours, bit shitty around Earls hill and on the way up past the holiday cottages at Blakemoorgate, but it’s a cracking ride.

Can send you a route for gps or loading into bikehike.

I would be surprised if Speshpaul doesn’t come up with equally good suggestions sometime soon.

Premier Icon Nick
    Subscriber

Actually I don’t think they are holiday cottages at all, wonder why I thought that?

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/stiperstones-cottages_tcm6-31757.pdf

astura

yeh a route would be great for this, could you send me the info to my profile email address

monkeychild

Nick could I be cheeky and ask for the gps route too? I’m new to Shropshire so all info is appreciated 🙂

Premier Icon Nick
    Subscriber

Have sent you all mails with a cracking route, let me know when you are going and I might join you (can’t do tomorrow unfortunately).

Cheers

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

Hi Nick – can you send me the file too please – mail in profile.
    Are Eastridge woods holding up ok in the weather? Never been before.
    Cheers!

astura

I did it today, not the full route as i was short on time, but i plan to try it again the weekend. It is that good!

I normally only ride over freeride parks or trail centres, i have done the odd trail other to that such as climach x,, but really enjoyed this one.
    I only had a couple of hours today in the end but made it out, parked at the Callow lane and rode down the fire road to the main carpark where i picked up the trail.

Really is some nice tight technical singletrack, and in truth even though the track was wet it just made it more fun for me. Couldnt really go fast round it as it was slippy in places and not knowing the track.

The climbs, blimey i struggled on these but partly was my fault, i still had my bike set up half mast and my shock bobbing around like zebedee (riding a marin quake with fat tires 2.5). Beat part for me though was along the top the views incredible, nice natural drop offs, some steep but not that steep that you are riding the rear wheel – i nice set off doubles. Would recommend it in both weathers really a good ride!

Premier Icon Nick
    Subscriber

Good stuff 🙂

Premier Icon Speshpaul
    Subscriber

sorry i missed this thread, we’re out in the morning about 10 for a half past start if you want to join use.
    paul.sal AT btinternet.com

astura

Thanks for the offer, will have to give it a miss been at Hopton wood’s today for first time, unbelievable and on my doorstep.

astura

I am pooped

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘a good trail for Thursday in Shropshire?’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top