Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • A good , dark coffee bean?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

I’ve been buying my beans for the Bean Shop in Perth for a good while now, since I used to live there and the chap who owns it is really nice.

I’m after trying some new beans, I really like a proper dark roasted bean – I’ve bought a few packs of beans from Hasbean but they’re still pretty medium roast.

What do you guys buy, if you’re into dark roast?

I’m not interested in shop bought beans, as they’re really poor compared to freshly roasted.

Cheers 🙂

Ricks

globalti
    Free Member

Just buy any bean and tip the lot into a heavy frying pan on a full flame then re-roast, stirring with a wooden spatula to avoid burning, until they smoke and darken to the shade you want. Hint: open the kitchen windows and shut the door unless you like the smell to fill the house for several hours.

In Ethiopian cafes they roast the coffee and bring it over, smoking like hell, in a pan for you to approve the colour.

MrSmith
    Free Member

If you like burnt ashy coffee just go for anything ‘Italian style’ though you run the risk of getting robusta instead of arabica.
    Avoid the likes of hasbean as they focus on roast profiling to develop the subtle fruit flavours in the bean.

BoardinBob

http://www.gordonstcoffee.co.uk/coffee

Not sure what one would be a dark roast but I’ve no doubt they do one. They roast in house and it’s all super fresh. Drop them an email and I’m sure they could advise.

bob_summers

A fifteen quid electric popcorn popper from Amazon, solder a nail across the thermal fuse, and go in search of the ‘third crack’!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Baytown Coffee Bogglehole:

Bogglehole

Had some of their coffee from a coffee forum subscription and it was probably the best I’ve had.

johnners
    Free Member

The Starbucks beans they sell in the supermarkets are a pretty dark roast. They smell faintly of fish though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘A good , dark coffee bean?’ is closed to new replies.