Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • a good commuting bike rucksack
  • garlando

I am planning to start cycling to work. Can anyone recommend a good rucksack for work clothes + laptop + general work stuff that must be carried around. Waterproof is a must have. Other than that I am not sure. Tips/pointers/deals welcome as there are so many options. Much appreciated.

qwerty
    Free Member

Backpacks and Rucksacks

Thread closed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rack + panniers = way better (sorry).

qwerty
    Free Member

…. or … http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/messenger.html

Thread reclosed.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Nothing is worse than a hot sweaty back after a ride into work, have a look at Rack & Panniers or something like a Carradide Saddlebag ( advantages that no rack is needed if you use an SQR mount )

organic355
    Free Member

That alpkit one looks a bit “round” and bulky. I know a lot of you love it, but is it very stable on the back? looks like it would roll all over he place?

Stoner
    Free Member

The alpkit carries very well. It has a stiffening insert which keeps the back flat. I’ve gone from a carradice super s saddle bag on an sqr to the Gourdon as its easier to carry off the bike when I’m walking to meetings etc. I miss all the pockets though.

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t carry clothes in – unless you’re cycling everyday.
    Store clothes at work and just carry pump, waterproof & lunch.
    Then you only need something like this

bit big!

nedrapier

One of these. Love mine, if something happened to mine, I’d buy another in a heartbeat. Can’t think what that something would be though, it’s pretty goddamn sturdy.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carradice-super-c-sqr-slim-saddlepack-16ltr-prod3695/

bails

I’ve also got a Gourdon and am very happy with it. I’ll replace it like for like if/when it dies.

garlando

Great. Thanks guys, that’s whittled down the options a bit. Will need to get a laptop sleeve for some of these choices but that’s no showstopper. Cheers.

nedrapier

Can’t say enough how much I enjoy not wearing a rucksack. You get used to a rucksack, but the first day of commuting with your t-shirt rippling in the breeze… it’s like being on holiday.

Carradice saddlebags keep your arse dry if you’re caught out without mudguards, too.

crazy-legs

Do you need to carry a laptop every day?
    I hate riding with a laptop, just feels heavy on the back but fragile in a pannier.

I’ve got a Jack Wolfskin Moab Jam backpack. Had a previous JW and it was brilliant, lasted about 15 years of near daily use. Bought this one in the sale at the Covent Garden store a year or so ago and it’s the same top quality. They do 3 different sizes, an 18, 24 and 30L so one of those should be fine. Has a laptop sleeve, waterproof cover, various other compartments etc.

Carrying stuff – try and leave as much as you can at work and only carry in what you need each day – for me that’s t-shirt and underwear, the rest of it stays in my locker and I use the days that I drive or get the train to swap trousers, towel etc. I also don’t need to carry a laptop.

qwerty
    Free Member

How do those Carradice saddlebags fair (well the bags contents) if you don’t use a mudguard ❓

Stoner
    Free Member

ned – I agree on the back thing, but I only pootle from Paddingon to the west end so dont raise a sweat. But I found carrying the saddle bag around (even having added a should strap) was a pain with the SQR frame sticking out the side and was looking a bit scruffy tramping into a meeting with it.

qwerty – the bottom of the super c has a leather strip that acts like a mudguard under the bag. The duck cotton is so waterproof on its own though, Im surprised it even needs the leather strip.

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

North Face surge is excellent. Need a separate waterproof cover though.

TiRed

Deuter Race EXP. 18L and will take laptop shirt and tools. Won’t carry shoes or a full change of kit easily. I’ve used mine over the spring/summer when I’ve brought in a road bike, and it is a fine solution. I also use it off road with a bladder.

Now the weather draws in, it’s an Ortlieb Downtown pannier on a Topeak DX rack. The combined weight is an extra six kilos on my fixed road bike, which is 2/3 of the weight of the bike!

So hot and sweaty back vs. lugging a tank of a bike. It’s really not just “always panniers” simple, particularly if, like me, you shower and change at work.

Personally, I like riding my Carbon Defy with the rucksack, because if I’m off racing after work, I can leave most of the stuff behind. That bike weighs about the same as the full pannier and rack alone 😉

steveoath
    Free Member

I went from panniers to courier pack to boblbee amphib (old one) as i realised that if stuff doesnt fit the pack then it shouldnt be going with me.

The boblbee is a hard (ish) shell ruckie with a drybag sewn in as a liner. Its now my goto pack for anything.

I have the orange one.

vincevren
    Free Member

I once wrote about this rucksack somewhere here on the forum.
    I bought it 2 months ago here and like using it, the only thing which embarasses me a bit it’s not as soft as fabric rucksacks, but the material is really waterproof (on their website they say the material is used for making inflatable boats).
    They also have a waterproof bicycle bag, (but I didn’t use it, can’t say anything) though looks like a nice option

anagallis_arvensis

Alpkit gourdan again here. Used it on bike but daily on motorbike. Light, simple, cheap and waterproof

kimbers

I’ve got a deauter cross city reasonable airflow at back but still bit sweaty have showers at work. Need water proof cover but works well Hard wearing and lots of useful pockets on and off the bike including helmet carry

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘a good commuting bike rucksack’ is closed to new replies.