Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • A generalised catch-all rant against the BBC…
  • back2basics
    Free Member

Mandela killed JFK didnt he?

ninfan
    Free Member

The ANC is a typical terrorist organisation

Nope, still wrong – I count that as four different Lefties, all unable to get the quote correct!

… Anyone who thinks it is going to run the government in South Africa is living in cloud-cuckoo land’ – Margaret Thatcher, 1987

Nope, once again, never said by Thatcher

You see, the problem is, that if you’re going to criticise people for saying something, then the least you can do is quote from what they did and didn’t actually say, rather than some Guardian fed interpretation of what they might have meant.

brakes
    Free Member

I did question whether the BBC website producers were aware of the irony of the ‘Nelson Mandela LIVE’ section.
    One way to avoid media saturation of an event is to just change channel.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have given you the direct quote
    her is the transcript
    http://www.margaretthatcher.org/speeches/displaydocument.asp?docid=106948

I am guessing you will trust the source

when the ANC says that they will target British companies. This shows what a typical terrorist organisation it is.

That is what she said. She called them terrorists, he was a member. Its not hard to work out what she thought of him though you alone may pretend to struggle for your own amusement as you scribble away on here

grum
    Free Member

There’s this bit too:

I will have nothing to do with any organisation that practices violence. [apart from being bessie mates with mass murderer Pinochet of course, even after details of his horrific crimes were common knowledge] I have never seen anyone from ANC or the PLO or the IRA and would not do so. Nor will we have any truck with any of the organisations; we never negotiate with hostage taking or anything like that. But please, I hope you will fight terrorism and violence and not in fact embrace it.

But yes Zulu-11 keep claiming black is white and she never called the ANC terrorists. 🙄

ninfan
    Free Member

Thatcher was asked by a journalist for her response “to a reported ANC statement that they will target British firms in South Africa?” She replied: “when the ANC says that they will target British companies. This shows what a typical terrorist organisation it is.”

in the same series of press conferences, When a Canadian reporter suggested that the African National Congress might overthrow the white South African regime, Bernard Ingham responded, ‘It is cloud cuckoo land for anyone to believe that could be done.'”

Context, as they say, is everything – and without it you’re left with a completely different interpretation – the meaning of the Ingham quote is completey changed by the question actually asked and omission of the phrase “believe that could be done” – it turns it into a discussion about the possibility of the ANC overthrowing the government rather than the possibility of the ANC governing.

keep claiming black is white and she never called the ANC terrorists

I think you’ll find that I said that she never called Mandela a terrorist

Its like saying that ‘the police are institutionally racist’ doesn’t mean that you’re calling every single police officer a racist!

slackalice
    Free Member

From an apolitical standpoint, was it not Maggie Thatcher who, whilst as a backbencher in the Macmillan government lobbied the South African administration to ensure Mandela did not get the death sentence?

Back to the OP, That hideous red top tabloid Vine man on R2 today had the temerity to have one of the biggest contemporary war criminals, aka Tony Blair, speaking on the programme waxing lyrical about his personal experiences of meeting the (joint) recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize. Shame none of Mandela’s great qualities never rubbed off.

grum
    Free Member

So when she referred to them (including Mandela) as a ‘typical terrorist organisation’, she wasn’t calling them terrorists? Ok then. 😕

ninfan
    Free Member

Grum, if you recall – the original post by Yunki stated that Thatcher called Mandela “that grubby little terrorist”.

Which I’ve patently demonstrated was not true

brassneck

With that eye-wateringly expensive studio, and all its facilites in London what is the point of live reports anyway? Apart from giving the little scallies in the background the chance to swear and gesture at

It’s in Salford

aracer
    Free Member

How do you reckon the number of people wanting to see an hour of waffle about Mandela compares to those who have an interest in seeing pictures of waves? I don’t live anywhere near the sea, but turned the news on to see what the storm was doing. Yes it was very important that they told us about Mandela, but my instant reaction was that it really wasn’t a big surprise, and that actually he’d lived a full life and achieved what he set out to. I already knew he’d been to prison, had been president of SA etc. – whilst I acknowledge that these things might have been news to some people, by the time they’d spent 20 minutes on him they’d really done all they could. At which point why couldn’t they switch to some footage of reporters in wellies? Just how long are we required to recreationally grieve for before anything else is allowed to be news?

This is the point – that Nelson Mandela dying (not at all unexpectedly) doesn’t mean that suddenly there is no other news in the world. The fact I’m not going to get desperately upset about a 95yo man who’s lived a very full life dying does not mean I don’t respect him and his achievements. I agree it is the most important story, but that doesn’t mean it’s the only story. As already said, what would have been wrong with spending 10 or 15 minutes on other stories as part of the news bulletin before having all their waffle about Mandela?

I kept the TV on with the sound down, hoping they might cover something else (and like others flipped channels in the hope that there might be some other news), but eventually gave up.

I find that a video is generally worth a lot more than 140 words.

binners

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Read the article you linked to again, and tell me where it refers to Thatcher actually calling Mandela a terrorist

binners

grum
    Free Member

Where does the ‘grubby little terrorist’ thing come from then? It seems to be widely attributed to Thatcher but I can’t find a record of her saying it.

That doesn’t mean she didn’t say it of course. 😉

binners

One of our cats is called Nelson Mandella. If you were our sofa, you’d definitely regard him as a grubby little terrorist

grum
    Free Member

Wasn’t it originally Uncle Monty in Withnail and I? Or was he quoting Thatcher? 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Mandella

hoo he?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

hoo he?

Bessie mates with Keith Vaz, innit? 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

Of course, I wonder which M.Thatcher of Grantham personally donated £20k to the Nelson Mandela foundation? Probably not the “grubby little terrorist one”.

binners

hoo he?

He’s my cat

shat on by tories, scooped up by labour…..

Stoner
    Free Member

Richard Griffiths gets around, doesnt he?!

CountZero

The meedja kind of painted itself into a corner with the ‘Peoples Princess’ really. Where it was deemed necessary to have 24 blanket coverage, and the mere mention of anything else was verboten, and everyone had to look solumn and nobody was allowed to mention that, at the end of the day, she was just an attention seeking clothes horse

I went on holiday biking in the Massif Central in France, and managed to miss the outpourings of grief.
    Worth every penny.
    As far as the Beeb’s coverage last night is concerned, I didn’t watch it. Or any TV, for that matter; I did what any reasonably intelligent person can do, leave the TV off, turn the stereo on, listen to music and read a book, Bill Bragg’s The Progressive Patriot, as it happens.
    Bloody good book, highly recommended, beats watching telly you don’t find interesting…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

aracer is right – the news was that Nelson Mandela died.

All his past achievements were not news and should not have interrupted actual news items, they should have been scheduled into non-news slots.

aracer
    Free Member

I used far too many words.

Frodo

Oh FFS now the’ve gone and usurped HIGNFY.

whimbrel
    Free Member

Of course, I wonder which M.Thatcher of Grantham personally donated £20k to the Nelson Mandela foundation? Probably not the “grubby little terrorist one”.

Context from the link:
    “He could charm the birds off the trees—and cash right out of wallets. He told me once how Margaret Thatcher had personally donated £20,000 to his foundation. “How did you do that?” I gasped. The Iron Lady, who was famously frugal, kept a tight grip on her purse. “I asked,” he said with a laugh. “You’ll never get what you want if you don’t ask.” Then he lowered his voice conspiratorially and said her donation had nauseated some of his cohorts. “Didn’t she try to squash our movement?” they complained. His response: “Didn’t De Klerk crush our people like flies? And I’m having tea with him next week … He’ll be getting the bill.” (On other occasions, I heard Mandela praise the courage of F.W. de Klerk, the last President of apartheid South Africa, who had his own prison to escape: the prejudice of his upbringing. We should not forget his role in this historic drama).”

aracer
    Free Member

Can somebody let me know when it’s safe to turn the TV back on?

CountZero

Can somebody let me know when it’s safe to turn the TV back on?

I usually find it’s when there’s something I actually want to watch, rather than sitting idly stabbing buttons on the remote in the vain hope something interesting might show up. Using the planner on Sky+ has lots of advantages like that.
    Works for me, anyway.

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘A generalised catch-all rant against the BBC…’ is closed to new replies.