Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • A Friday bimbo post – help needed please (garage remote)
  • cinnamon_girl

Ooooh, am in a wee bit of a panic. Garage door is remote controlled and is refusing to stay closed. As soon as it closes completely, it opens up again 😯

Is there anything I can do or should I just call out a locksmith? Feeling that today I am having to babysit my bikes!

Thank you so much.

C_G
    (mistress of ineptitude)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

surely a locksmith will just scratch his head and suck his breath in through his teeth ?

ooh, and get you with your fancy electric doors 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Dunno Simon. Just assume that anyone will have more idea than me!

Edit: S'cuse me, it was here when I moved in. Would rather have a lock and key than the fear of getting trapped inside!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I wouldn't bother with a locksmith, too general. Get the manufactures name, do a web search, get the local stockist who will invariably fit / fix them as well and take it from there.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Wait until it's closed and turn the power off, probably from inside the house somewhere. Or turn the power off first and close it manually

robdob
    Free Member

Is there anything in the runners or the mechanism that shouldn't be there? If it has a mechanism whereby it automatically opens if an obstruction is detected (eg like a car electric window) that might be causing the problem. If it's not that then it could be potentially an electrical fault – might be the remote is malfunctioning (take batteries out and use manual control only might help) or some other control system.

knottie8
    Free Member

try lubing the runners maybe its sticky and the resistance makes it think its closed or somethings in the way ?

clubber
    Free Member

The only obvious cause I can think of is that when closed, there's something stopping the door shutting completely so the default setting is to open again (eg so that if you'd parked your car sticking out a bit, it'd open the door again when it hit it!)

Solutions

– check that there's nothing obstructing it or that the door's not touching anything

– If you need to go out, close the door and at the last moment, just before it starts to open again, cut the power (at the fuse box) so that it just stays shut. Obviously this will only work if that doesn't leave you trapped in the garage and from your last post it sounds like that might be the case.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for all the replies. Nothing in the way to obstruct it. Not sure where the main switch for it is, in any case I am terrified of going into the garage now!

Is it an easy job to disconnect the whole thing and go back to a lock and key?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is it an easy job to disconnect the whole thing and go back to a lock and key?

Possibly. But I'd have to have a look to be sure.

EDITED (Rest of post removed) I'll email you direct…

GreenK
    Free Member

Had a similar problem with mine. It turned out to be the switch on the remote. Luckily I have two and the other one is fine!

earbyphil
    Free Member

C_G
    Mine forgot it was a garage door and kept opening. The manufacturer suggested
    A. Switch off the mains power (the electronics will reset)
    B. Take the battery ouf of the hand-set (again it will reset)
    C. Check for obstructions in the runners.
    I did all three and it's never happened again since, so I must have frightened it into behaving.

alfabus
    Free Member

sounds like its end stop is in the wrong place.

If you look on the winder box, there will probably be something you can twiddle to tell it where in its range of motion is 'closed'.

it is probably trying to push the door through the floor, and is detecting the floor as an obstruction and reversing.

wind up the bottom stop, and all will be well.

our old one had a couple of pots on it that you could turn with a screwdriver (pots == potentiometers == little dials).

HTH
    Dave

zaskar
    Free Member

Do you not have a a switch in the house or garage (assuming it has another door or house entry to get out.

Check the battery on the remote, but it's electrical not a locksmith.

Check with the manufacturer.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine (Harmon or is it Horman?) comes back up again if there's something obstructing it. So check really carefully. Could be something in the mechanism or even something out of kilter. Again, if it's Harmon/Horman, there's a calibration procedure that you have to run through to get it to close at the right spot – it could've forgotten its settings.

If you want to call someone, call a garage door supplier. The place I got mine from were great – sales, servicing, maintenence etc etc.

Oh and electric ones are more secure for a garagefull of bikes.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for all the replies 🙂

Turned power off then couldn't get door to budge so more faffing. Have decided the best solution is to get remote unit dismantled due to my fear of confined spaces.

Bikes are now in the warm but what a good job that there no parties at CG Towers this weekend 😉

So who should I get to unplug unit and sort out locks/keys? Locksmith?

Thank you so much, as usual 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Er, HELLO!!!!!

Are you in tomorrow afternoon?

🙂

yetiguy
    Free Member

i am in the garage oor game (we manufacture)

Is there a brand name?

Is it a sectional door, roller door or up and over?

cinnamon_girl

Mr Poddy is coming to the rescue 8)

yeti guy – any recommendations for a secure door would be appreciated, e-mail in profile. Thanks.

Anna-B
    Free Member

I love a happy ending and 3 cheers for peterpoddy!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah. I fixed it. You were all wrong too! 🙂

TinMan
    Free Member

I'm in suspense, please tell me what it was 🙂

bruneep

I bet there was nothing wrong with the door, cg just wanted to lure you in to her lair, just like in Misery.

In fact cg is now posting as you to fool us into thinking you are free.

cinnamon_girl

Hurrah for Mr Poddy, thanks Pete 8) All working perfectly!

Yeah, my lair is my garage and you never know what you might find in there 😉

Or, in my case, loads of bike spares. Exciting huh? 😆

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

If it is anything like ours there is an adjuster screw that tells it when to stop shutting. If this slips it tries to shut too much and the safety mechanism cuts in and it reverses the closure.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There are two adjustments on the electrics that control the door.

The door obviously has a mechnaism where it stops if it's impeded by an unexpected object, and opens again. (I have an electric door too, which does just the same)

The adjustments basically control the sensitivity of the door, and it was set just a bit too sensitive (It was on maximum sensitivity), and some wear in the mechanism over the years had obvioulsy become just a tad too much for it, so I turned it down a bit.

I rock. I AM the best mechainc I know. You should all know that by now.
    Where everyone else talks and waffles, I get off my ass and sort it

Gnaaaaaarrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

😉

allthepies
    Free Member

So now if we hear CG has been decapitated by her garage door not sensing her noggin then we know who to grass up 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘A Friday bimbo post – help needed please (garage remote)’ is closed to new replies.