Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • a friday afternoon/evening in sheffield: where to ride/what to do?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Looks like I will be in sheffield towards the end of the month with some spare time to kill (4 or 5 hrs in the southern part about 5mins from junction 31 apparently)in the day (no car at that stage) then an evening free (with car can travel) and staying over night before heading home to cornwall.

Can anyone help me out with some ideas what to do in the day (would need public transport to get about) and is there any riding nearby that'll be worth bringing a bike for a late afternoon early evening ride?

tracknicko
    Free Member

not a whole lot nr J31…

plenty about round ere when you have your car. you could always bike to somewhere mind…

porterclough
    Free Member

How near Junction 31?

It's the wrong side of town for mountain biking really, though you could pootle around Rother Valley Country Park.

Personally I'd cycle west through town and out into the hills, if you've got 5 hours you'd have enough time to get across town and still get a ride in just west of Sheffield – say, through town to Hunters Bar, up through parks and over to Stanage, then Houndkirk, Blacka then back along the ring road.

Or, cycle into town, get a train out to Bamford or Edale or somewhere in the Peak(s) and cycle back. Might be worth getting a train at Woodhouse into town…

Edit: Sheff council have a handy cycle map on their web site. You want the south sheet.

Pook

There's a few of us about who'll happily show you some stuff…

alex222
    Free Member

You could head further south into the peak round crich etc.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Just go into Sheff and get drunk 🙂

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Good idea as said above would be to cycle into town and get the train over to Bamford/Hope way near the peaks area. Some pretty decent riding there.

Or maybe go to Wharncliffe when you get the car. Good for a few hours riding. Not on the doorstep mind but not too bad 20 mins drive. Get on M1 J31 off at 35a. I will prob be up there riding in late afternoons in a few weeks. Trying to build fitness! So might be able to show you a few trails there

Evenings go and pull some fit students on West street in the many bars up there 🙂

Pook

Evenings go and pull some fit students ropey old birds on West street in the many bars up there

😉

thepodge
    Free Member

J31 > Kiveton park train > Sheff train > Hope / Hathersage / Bamford / Edale

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Evenings go and pull some fit students

wife says no! : (

cheers for the replies. i'll firm up my plans over the next few days and maybe post again for some specific routes etc. i'm hoping now to work things so i can get a late afternoon/evening ride and as i'll have the van will be able to travel a bit (maybe up to 40mins – have to be back in same part of sheffield for 10am next morning).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘a friday afternoon/evening in sheffield: where to ride/what to do?’ is closed to new replies.