Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • A follow-up to the lorry/car video…
  • druidh
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/8574609.stm

This is the bit I don't get..

The company said the lorry driver was sent home on Wednesday, when the video emerged on the internet.
    He added that the accident happened on 13 January and police had investigated, but to date no action had been taken against the lorry driver.

scaredypants

which don't you get, that he was sent home or that no action taken ?

coffeeking
    Free Member

If no action was taken against the lorry driver despite his apparently being oblivious to an impact, a continous screaching and grinding from the front of the vehicle, an increased drag ad a bloody great blue thing below his windscreen, I'd hope the police involved are sacked!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

😯

I can just about get that the lorry driver didn't notice, there's a lot of torque in those big tractor units and the car is 'attached' to a part of the chassis that is pretty well isolated from the cab itself.

druidh
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    which don't you get, that he was sent home or that no action taken ?

That he was only sent home after the video emerged on the internet and that two months on the Police still haven't taken any action to at least suspend him for driving.

GrahamS

Is it me or would you not be hammering the horn like mad if you were in the car?
    How did he not hear that?

jd-boy
    Free Member

What I dont get, looking at the film is the tyres have not burnt to the rims and sparks flying of the wheels? would not take long to do if you were going sideways for long

Jamie
    Free Member

Probably could not hear anything over the sound of country and western music and the dying screams of hitch hikers locked in the back of his cab. 😉

Olly
    Free Member

WOW!
    i cant imagine how terrified she must have been!

coffeeking
    Free Member

jd-boy, there are a few sparks flying if you look closely as the car passes.

Even if the car had just nudged round the front he should have noticed, he has EYES. I've sat in a truck cab, and while it might not have been an instantaneously obvious thing, I'd hope to god he does more than stare directly ahead while driving, the slightest glance downward would have seen the top corner of the roof, unless he's very very short!

Haze

Relax, he's been charged…

david_r
    Free Member

Clearly not your average Sun reading trucker. He had the Telegraph sprawled over the steering wheel blocking most of his peripheral vision.

Bunnyhop

I was hit once in a carpark, by a woman who even though I had my hand on the horn continuously, failed to hear it.
    I was parked up agains't a wire fence and she was backing her car into mine, without stopping. She denied it was her fault, luckily with all the noise of my horn it attracted many witnesses, who were all on my side. So I could see how this lorry driver didn't hear the horn.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I wouldn't be too suprised if the lorry driver knew the car was there and had a good laugh later with his mates and then thought he'd got away with it… until now!

cynic-al
    Free Member

She should have climbed out the door, got on the roof and banged on his windscreen.

Women eh?

Pook

Saw this happening on the M1 once. Loads of tyre smoke pluming up from front of a lorry on the other side. We assumed he'd just locked up, but when we got closer there was a mondeo t-boned on the front of his cab with two terrified looking blokes in it being shoved along at about 50mph.

It looked like they were ok though

Jerome
    Free Member

Amazing – checks it is not April fools..
    Good way to save petrol

coffeeking
    Free Member

So I could see how this lorry driver didn't hear the horn.

I can too, it's called complete lack of observation. He should have heard the horn though, if he was actually present and correct in the driving seat, which suggests he was driving without due care and attention – case open, case closed, off to the gallows please!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

I love stw

discussion has turned to how the truck driver should have heard the horn yet (correct me if i'm wrong) there has been no statement in the press or indeed sound on the video to suggest that the woman actually used her horn at any point

love it 😆

2hottie
    Free Member

If you had a video like that why would you put it on you tube and not send it to the police straight away? I would have followed the truck/car till the police turned up giving it them straight away.

GrahamS

I love stw

discussion has turned to how the truck driver should have heard the horn yet (correct me if i'm wrong) there has been no statement in the press or indeed sound on the video to suggest that the woman actually used her horn at any point

Good point! The real question then is why wasn't the car horn working?
    Clearly not a properly maintained car. Off to the gallows with her too please 😀

crankboy
    Free Member

Don't get it or didn't read the article?
    "A spokesman said: "At the time of our attendance there were no injuries and both vehicles were on the hard shoulder of the motorway.

"As a result, at the time, the incident was treated as a damage only collision.

"However, in light of the new evidence that has come to light we are reinvestigating the collision and the matter has today been passed to our major collision enquiry team and inquiries are ongoing." "

The video was never sent to the police just put on tinternet so the police will have not had all the evidence the stw massive has had until recently. The police have no power to suspend his licence.

I've had two incidents with HGV's one over shot a junction and simply stopped then reversed back in to me despite my frantic blowing the horn luckly i'd just started to reverse when he hit so it was minor dammage only . The second an HGV to my right at lights decided to left turn over my car as we set off that was utterly scary and the car looked like it had been through a blender at the end . In the first case i'm sure the driver never saw or heard any thing he just drove off and i had to give chase. In the second the driver could not see me from his cab but noticed when his vehicle started to tilt as it went up the side of my car.

billybob
    Free Member

He added that the accident happened on 13 January and police had investigated, but to date no action had been taken against the lorry driver.

West Yorkshire Police said officers attended the scene after receiving reports of a collision.

A spokesman said: "At the time of our attendance there were no injuries and both vehicles were on the hard shoulder of the motorway.

"As a result, at the time, the incident was treated as a damage only collision.

So at the time did the driver of the Clio not say I was being pushed along the motorway for several minutes trapped under his bumper?!

Houns

Yeah you'd think they'd have mentioned it

bassspine
    Free Member

Depends on how the Clio got there. Everyone seems to have decided it was the truck drivers fault… maybe we haven't seen all of it.

mrchrispy

…….and he's sat in the middle lane.

burn him

Ti29er
    Free Member

Think through the actual mechanics of getting this footage.
    The phone that is recording the footage starts well back and the car with the videographer is some 2-3 lanes away and ahead of the lorry.

The videographer saw this, the driver sped up, another got the phone readied, the driver moved into the correct lane, slowed down, his mate shot the footage and then chose not to speed up, not to put their 4-way flashes on and not get in front of the lorry, slowing their speed, alerting the driver to the car attached to his bumper.

grtdkad

The videographer saw this, the driver sped up, another got the phone readied, the driver moved into the correct lane, slowed down, his mate shot the footage and then chose not to speed up, not to put their 4-way flashes on and not get in front of the lorry, slowing their speed, alerting the driver to the car attached to his bumper.

Yeah, you really hope that that is exactly what they do next…

pacemaker
    Free Member

Ti29er, the vehicle that got the footage was a recovery truck, with a car on a spec lift at the back,the passenger took the footage after been notified by the driver who was in the left hand lane ready to leave the A1 at the A64 sliproad.

He had passengers in the truck so the safest thing to do was keep out of the way.

Mr_C
    Free Member

I was reading this report of an accident in Leicestershire.

I had to read the quote from the lorry driver twice:

"I don't take much notice of what's in front of me, really."

Pretty much says it all about some of the muppets piloting 40 tons of truck on public roads.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Interesting that the recovery vehicle's driver (I was unaware it was a recovery vehicle) did not use his horn either.
    He's happy to tell his passengers there's about to be a huge pile-up / crash so get some footage, and did not think to act himself other than to keep on driving and in no way try to alert the lorry driver.

I appreciate the fact that he has clients on board but my instinct would have been immediately to re-join the carriageway if possible (I did note he was on the slip road), he's seen the "incident" in his mirror so may have had ample time, there's no traffic between him and the lorry, and not be a witness but try and prevent what could have been a far more serious, even fatal event.

swamp_boy
    boxelder

Is it me or would you not be hammering the horn like mad if you were in the car?

She was oblivious to the whole thing, as texting while applying mascara is the kind of multi-tasking that takes even a womans full attention.

GrahamS

From the BBC:

"Mrs Williams, 31, of York, told the Daily Mail she called 999 and told an operator: "I'm going to die".

The vet, who works at a practice in Garforth, was not injured in the incident.

She said she feared the Arclid Transport HGV would ram her into the crash barrier and kill her so she tried calling for help on her mobile phone."

So does that count as using her phone while driving? 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘A follow-up to the lorry/car video…’ is closed to new replies.