Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • A flashpoint to keep an eye on…
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Well, the US is as usual helping the situation – also here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25110011

yunki
    Free Member

bloody hell…

that’d put hairs on yer chest!

donald
    Free Member

Ooh is it Berwick?

I bet it’s Berwick.

matt_outandabout

I know a way of resolving this one. Clearly a game of RoShamBo will not work, but this may:

chewkw
    Free Member

I advise all countries to restraint themselves from pussy footing but to start an all out pre-emptive strike. Try out the new version of Little Man and Fat Boy … see how many maggots on each side can be grilled alive. 😈

Alternatively, anyone who can sink an aircraft carrier first receive 10 points.

Stop pussy footing you bunch of big girl blouse. 🙄

sobriety
    Free Member

It only takes one North Korean sub to kick the whole lot off…

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

BANZAI!

footflaps

I thought the Chinese didn’t have any planes that could land / take off from their aircraft carrier yet?

matt_outandabout

Nah, that is us, silly boy.

footflaps

Nah, that is us, silly boy.

Apparently we’re in good company: http://www.smh.com.au/world/no-planes-but-china-unveils-first-aircraft-carrier-20120926-26lg7.html

A second hand rust bucket with a lick of fresh paint and no planes capable of landing on it!

stewartc
    Free Member
    Tom_W1987
    Free Member

There are two viewpoints to this story

1) You actually believe that China is stupid enough to pick a fight with the USN. If they actually do I will eat my shorts and will be highly entertained by the following cluster**** of a turkey shoot. But it won’t happen.

2) China is show boating and nothing of any consequence will come of it.

chewkw
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member

There are two viewpoints to this story

1) Not at the moment but once they got their technologies updated they will defend their “territory”.

2) Showboating is just the beginning as usual until full escalation.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Chewkw, they’re about 30 years behind the yanks…they’re still stuck in the 1980’s. For example that carrier is a heap of shit, the fighters that will be launched off it are based on ageing Su-27’s – most of the avionics are derived from ageing Russian stuff. Meanwhile the yanks are rocking the latest versions of the F-18, stuffed with every electronic gizmo that you’ve never heard of. And to boot, they’ll be getting F-35’s over the next few years.

What’s more is that they don’t have the 70 odd years of carrier ops experience that the Americans have. It’s going to take them years to catch up. To add to all of this their military is massively corrupt, in fact the only way I see this kicking off is if the Americans don’t actually realise the PLA is potentially corrupt, undisciplined and stupid enough to actually start something.

What they can do now and in the medium term is potentially make it too risky for the Americans to want to get involved unless they really really have to. Losing even one carrier would be a costly mistake. The Chinese will bank on this and spend the next 20 years bluffing, doing their utmost to bring the Americans and it’s pacific allies to the negotiating table.

As usual, the reports of World War Three being imminent are entirely exaggerated/hyped up.

stewartc
    Free Member

I would imagine the Chinese may get the N Koreans to do something by proxy, they have lost face from this but basically can do bugger all militarily bar actually try to shoot a plane down.
    The feed back I am getting from my HK and Filipino friends is they are enjoying this two finger gesture to the Chinese, I will no doubt be in contact with other friends around the region by the end of the week and find out how this is playing in Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam but I imagine its the same.
    This will not play well in China but its probably not being that widely reported, on the MTR this morning the text B52 was very prevalent on the news displays.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yup, my Filipino mates seem to have reacted with glee when they heard about the B-52’s. You can say what you like about the Americans but they have a lot of friends in the Pacific region. I believe they are all in the process of signing mutual defence agreements.

Anyway, the PLA don’t have enough bullets to fight a real war as they need them all for use on their own citizens. Bo’s reforms of the military are mostly aimed at keeping them as a tool in swatting any coup. Any sign of external aggression by the Chinese is simply a sign of domestic instability.

Personally I think the yanks are playing the game well in the Pacific, not so sure about Africa though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘A flashpoint to keep an eye on…’ is closed to new replies.