Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • A fine example of a Brocken Spectre today on the Blacks
  • welshfarmer

Just wish I had of had a better camera and not just my phone.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Cool. What are we looking at?

user-removed
    Free Member

Wow! You can see why they scared the wits out of folk in the olden days…

Junkyard
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brocken_spectre

A Brocken spectre (German Brockengespenst), also called Brocken bow or mountain spectre, is the apparently enormous and magnified shadow of an observer, cast upon the upper surfaces of clouds opposite the sun. The phenomenon can appear on any misty mountainside or cloud bank, or even from an aeroplane, but the frequent fogs and low-altitude accessibility of the Brocken, a peak in the Harz Mountains in Germany, have created a local legend from which the phenomenon draws its name. The Brocken spectre was observed and described by Johann Silberschlag in 1780, and has since been recorded often in literature about the region. However it can be seen in any mountain region. (The dubious term glockenspectre has also been used to refer to the phenomenon; however, there appears to be no reliable evidence of its accuracy.)

csb

That’s the shadow of the photographer in the clouds. Superb one, the only I’ve seen was in the black mountains too.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Wow! So the OP is taking the photo, of himself? Eh… Sorry, never heard of this before.

creagbhan

It’s the grey man of Ben Macdui on his hols.

rene59
    Free Member

That’s a nice example of one. Had a few over the years, always get excited when I get one, sometimes they don’t come out well in the pics.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Love it! Had identical one on Cader Idris last year, must check back on pics, you reminded me, although i think it left the scene before my camera left my pocket 🙁

CountZero

Lucky bugger! That’s a beauty, great photo, too. 😀

brooess
    Free Member

They’re cool.
    The ones you get skydiving are even better, with no ground to break the loop, you find yourself falling towards a full 360 degree rainbow

welshfarmer

I think that would scare the sh*t out of me brooess :-0

neilthewheel

Got some last week on a foggy night ride – artifical ones cast by the blazing lights of the riders behind!

slowoldman

Ah now that’s why the hills beat trail centres.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘A fine example of a Brocken Spectre today on the Blacks’ is closed to new replies.