• This topic has 27 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JRTG.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • A few SS cog questions
  • DrP

Cog…snigger…!

Anyway,
    Gone from 26 to 29er…
    Was happy with the 2:1 ratio on 26 inch wheels, but to get similar ratios I need a 17.8 tooth sprocket….!
    So, what have people gone for? 17 at MTFU’d , or 18 and span out a tad?

Also, what’s the current cheapo but reliable wide based sprocket du jour? Superstar get mediocre reviews, but are 8 quid…

DrP

takisawa2

32:18 is the norm to get to 2:1, but I use a 33t Goldtech Oval ring up front.
    It’s like cheating. (A bit).

If your running a regular freehub conversion then Surly last & last & last, but I can heartily recomend a dedicated SS wheel, with a White Industries freewheel. Three years as my only bike & it’s still not showing wear.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Surly cogs do the job

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Get as close to 2:1 as poss so 18t will be the way to go, but soon enough you’ll want a range of “cogs” go up 2t for climbing stuff and a 16t for the flat stuff.. It seems like a waste of the ethos but does give a little flexibility, certainly if you want to ride the Downs near you.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ve always stuck with a 18 on my 29er, apart from when its really wet i sometimes go to 19.

I’ve used one of the superstar ones and for £8 it was fine, But doesn’t last anywhere near as long as surly’s which I stick with now.

If your trying ratio’s buy a few cheap ones, 17,18,19 etc from tarty bikes, they start at about £3-£4. If your running a shimano or similar hub a narrow cog will be fine,

CheesybeanZ

Velosolo http://velosolo.co.uk/
    Looks good and has lasted ages

DrP

Hope hub, so will benefit from wide teeth. . think I’ll go 18 as will be bike packing on it too. .

Drp

wwaswas

I was using a 20 DrP.

You’ll therefore be fine with an 18 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

IT’S A SPROCKET!!!!!!! 😉

scaredypants

get an oval one, or a star

69er
    Free Member

Surly COGS are great COGS, other COGS are available such as KingCOGS but the are very expensive in the world of COGS. Whichever make of COG you decide on an 18t COG would be a good starting point. For reliability i’d go Surly. COG.

wwaswas

I’m cognisant of what you did there 69er 🙂

anono

Gussets double 6 – £12 from CRC
    sprocket or cog depending on your preference

Yak

18t is fine and the wide base superstar one is ok-ish. Its lasted 7 months of riding up to twice a week, but is now badly hooked, despite regular chain swaps at the right time. So not bad, but not great either. Changing to a velosolo andel one now – looks far more durable. It’ll have to last almost double to be better value.

unovolo
    Free Member

Or do it the old fashioned way and take a cassette apart to get the required cog for trials purpose then once you have decided whether a 17 or 18t Cog is best then splash the cash.

Andy

32/18 here. Surly if found cheap or the Gusset double6’s are good as well.

MarcSussex
    Free Member

I use and recommend these if using a 1/8 chain http://www.brookscycles.co.uk/halo-fat-foot-cogs.html

tazzymtb

I use 35-19 with a wobbly front ring and a lush niner rdo ti rear cog. Perfic for 29ering

cx_monkey

This:

http://www.homebrewedcomponents.com/store.php/products/stainless-and-titanium-2-piece-cogs

in Ti. Had mine several years and no signs of wear. been through a bunch of chains and rings in the same time. 18T for all round on a 29er I reckon.

I’ve got some of those On-One Groove Armada ones for when I occasionally want a bigger or smaller sprocket. They’re cheapish, seem to last OK, come in 1 tooth increments and have a wide base for alloy f.hub bodies. Surly stuff always seems to be more expensive than it should be anywhere other than the US…

benji
    Free Member

33-20 for me, it’s abit spinny, but you can get up most hills. Chris King spend your money and buy something nice and blingy.

takisawa2

I use 35-19 with a wobbly front ring and a lush niner rdo ti rear cog

Dear god man. Thighs of iron I tell ye.

Muke
    Free Member

Trek Marlin stock 32:20 for me, if its too hard I walk and if it’s too spinny I freewheel 🙂

69er
    Free Member

I use 35-19 with a wobbly front ring and a lush niner rdo ti rear cog

Dear god man. Thighs of iron I tell ye.

I would guess 32-18 is pretty much the same as 35-19 is pretty much the same as 32-16 on a 26er. I’ll ask Sheldon….

69er
    Free Member

29er 32:18 – 51.6″
    29er 35:19 – 53.4″
    26er 32:16 – 52″

I’d go for thighs of cold plastecine…..

tazzymtb

I’d go for thighs of dita von tease…hmmmmmmmmmmmm 35:19 is just a lovely ratio that works happily enough on xc (bit spinney) but is fab for Peak District, Wales, dales etc… It’s the nicest one ratio does all I’ve found for me.

69er
    Free Member

You may have a point…

Much more interesting than MTB gearing…. 😯

DrP

Well, took it for a blast today on the 32:16 gear…actually not too bad!
    No real big hills TBH, but blasting through the singletrack was a hoot!
    I’m thinking it does need to be a slightly shorter gear – but really a max of 18t on the cogget (best of both there)…

DrP

JRTG
    Free Member

DrP, as a fellow SDW rider (I live in Shoreham) I would vouch for a 32:18. It’s pretty much perfect for round here and copes with all but the worst chalk and steepest bits as well as being the sweet spot gear for Stanmer.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘A few SS cog questions’ is closed to new replies.