Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • A few questions about my pikes
  • jonnych
    Free Member

Just bought some pikes and i want to make sure they're working properly so a few things to check:

1. They have no air in at the moment but when pushed down to bottom out they bottom out before the seals actually touch the very top of the stanchions (about 1cm before), is this normal or are they not getting the full amount of travel?

2. The blue compression adjuster doesn't seem to be seated quite properly and wobbles about a fair bit up and down

3. There is a bit of oil coming out of the compression adjuster

As i said before, basically checking if these are in normal working condition or if these are major problems that need to be sorted out

scraprider
    Free Member

are new or 2nd hand,not sure about 2/3, you defo need air in them to check them.

jonnych
    Free Member

2nd hand, any idea about the others?

doug_basqueMTB.com

I've got pike coils so don't have the compression adjuster. It sounds like it's not seated properly hence #2 and #3.

jonnych
    Free Member

Thanks, so how is the best way to seat it? And does anyone have an answer to 1?

seanodav
    Free Member

Possibly too much oil in the lowers. causing prob no1

igm

Ring TFTuned and get some advice – sounds like you may have a duff damper seal (£25 for them to replace, less if you do it yourself)

jonnych
    Free Member

I'll give TFTuned a ring but i'm pretty sure its neither of the last two as TFTuned have actually serviced them recently. The guy i bought them off lowered the travel for me so something must've gone a bit wrong there

scraprider
    Free Member

sounds like youve answerd your own question mate,hes **** them putting them back together.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No 1 is most probably because the fork is hitting the bump stop. All RS air forks stop a bit early like this when tested. However, if you hit them hard enough when riding, you'll get all the travel sure enough!

If oil is leaking into the lowers you'll loose about half of the travel. Doesn't sound like that to me 🙂

IA

if 3 is a leak round the floodgate threshold knob, it's a common problem. Can be sorted in various ways.

doug_basqueMTB.com

If it's a leak round the floodgate threshold knob and it's the same as the pike coils then you can fix it pretty easily. I just did mine and put some pics of how I fixed it on my web. I'm not an expert in the forks like PP or maybe others but it wasn't complicated once the STW hive mind had told me how to take the red damper cartridge off.

How I fixed my pikes

jonnych
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks for all the info! Does any oil need to be replaced after doing that small service? And will i most likely need to just reposition the seal like you did or will i have to buy a new one? Also I couldnt quite make out which seal you meant was the problemed one in your forks, where abouts is it?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘A few questions about my pikes’ is closed to new replies.