Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • A few q regarding tubeless tyres.
  • nosemineb
    Free Member

I am completely new to tubeless tyres. I have Stans Arch rim fitted with stans tape and solution.
    I believe i could put a cyclocross tyre on the rim for road use, any idea how narrow i could go?
    Would i be able to run a 28mm tyre for instance?
    Would i use this narrow tyre with a tube as normal or stay tubeless with fluid? which would be the easiest option?
    When i take the tyre off i presume the Stans fluid need collecting so as not to make a mess, is it then reusable or do you use fresh fluid?
    I simply want to run a very narrow tyre for very occasional road rides on my 29er. A 2nd wheel set seems overkill as it will be rare.
    If i was on tubes still i would just swap tyre, ride and repeat. I am just wondering if the tubeless really makes a hard job of this simple task.
    Help me as i am a tubeless novice!
    Thanks

chiefgrooveguru

I think you’ll need to go with a tube for road pressures. Yes, tubeless makes it a pain swapping tyres but for me the pros hugely outweigh the cons!

MisterT

yes you can re-use the latex solution, although you will loose some of it in the process, and thus need to top-up when going back to larger volume tyres.

possible problems with your plans are that you might find that the cx tyre sidewalls leak (depends on manufacturer) – also that depending on the tyre you might find the need to put an extra layer of rim tape under the stans rim strip – on both points the only way to tell is to try it out.

as with all tubeless setups, you have to experiment and find out for yourself when trying out new combinations of rim/tyre/latex mixes.

MisterT

good point about tyre pressures chiefgrooveguru . Latex isn’t ideal above 40psi – and you’ll probably be wanting 50+psi. thus use tubes with such pressures. you can still swap rim strip and tyres in a few minutes, so perfectly doable… but would be a right pain if doing it every week

nosemineb
    Free Member

Is it as simple as using a road tyre with a tube with normal pressures and no problems. Or is there some compatability issues with the stans rim/setup. Are the rim sidewalls capable of standing road tyre pressures or something? This may sound stupid!
    I have no issues with using tubes and road tyres and using tubless for the mtb tyre, if its that simple?
    Please advise lol.
    Edit- so its the latex that works best at low pressure, ok that makes sense.

br
    Free Member

Just buy a 2nd wheel set for the slicks, and also learn what you’ve actually got for when it goes flat on the trail…

nosemineb
    Free Member

Ive managed to seal 2 very old standard cross tyres a michellin mud and a bonty jones. They seemed fine till i rode it, after initially sealing the previouly punctured holes when riding they seem to openup again. Perhaps because when i was cleaning up i noticed the last little bit of sealant had a sedement/sludge which i now guess i should have mixed up before adding to the wheel. Anyway hopefully they will be up in the morning and i will get some more sealant and top them up.
    Hopefully more sealant will sort it? I am still just using the yellow tape and valve stem. I hope to run 50-60 psi in the tyres for the roads.
    Its impressive stuff watching it initially squirt through and then seal a hole.
    And its not greatly harder than swapping normal tyres.
    Sorted [fingers crossed]
    Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘A few q regarding tubeless tyres.’ is closed to new replies.