• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jhw.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • A few pictures from the Tour of Flanders (show yours!)
  • jhw
    Free Member

Only a very few

The notorious climbs weren’t as bad as I expected – they burned, to be sure, but they were over in a flash – didn’t get to do the Koppenburg though as it was so busy we had to walk.

The really brutal bits were the long flat cobbled sections. Jesus! The only thing you can do (as said on here) is to absolutely hoon it (or attempt to, in my case) – it doesn’t make the pain less, but it makes it finish earlier, and it looks cool. Pushed hard and happy with my time for a first attempt but it’s not “impressive” – was never going to be.

Awesome atmosphere. Quite a lot of carnage witnessed too (not so good). One to do again and again. Hopefully next year we’ll have rain (and I’ll still live in the area).

Anyone know how to access the race photos they were taking of us everywhere?

Ow:

Koppenburg hike:

leffeboy

Thanks for that, it looked hugely busy. Sounds like you got the best of the weather as well, I believe it’s going to rain tomorrow out should still be worth a trip out to the end for the big screen and the beer 🙂

Marge
    Free Member

Crikey.
    Never seen the Koppenberg like that!
    Despite the crowds spoiling the climb I bet the atmosphere was great yesterday. Did you get a clear(er) climb on the Paterberg / Muur?
    I still can’t believe I worked on re-laying my rain water drains instead of taking part…
    It was perfect conditions though & they were speaking of not much else on the radio on Friday evening / Saturday morning.
    Haven’t heard as yet how many participants there were but they said that there were already 12,500 registrations in advance.

jhw
    Free Member

The atmosphere was wild! Proper international crowd too. And I got my ass pushed up a climb by a spectator.

Paterberg and Muur were clear. I particularly enjoyed the Muur. I was in a group going fast up it and there was a fair amount of jostling!

Koppenburg on tv now.

warton
    Free Member

I got up all the climbs, getting up the koppenberg required a lot of shouting, atmosphere was incredible! Then yesterday standing right under the chapel, incredible, will be back next year!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

IT was THE most exciting race I have watched in a long time! I managed to find it live streaming off Euro Sport on the internet! we are off to watch Paris-Roubaix next weekend however I have said Tour of Flanders to watch next year .. not sure on the sportif though;-) a bit disappointing the crowds are that big you have to push up some of the hills but never mind.

jhw
    Free Member

On reflection I think the hike could have been avoided if I’d either started earlier (7:30 instead of 8:30) or worked harder to get out in front early on (as after I saw the crowds on the Koppenburg I sped up and refrained from stopping for food etc. and that really helped with getting ahead of the crowds) or both

Dunno if I could’ve gone any harder at the start though. 3/4 of the way through I felt I had a lot of gas left in the tank so sped up further and was therefore destroyed at the finish!

All the other climbs were fine and for substantial stretches I felt like I was riding solo or just with 2 other people. You’d never guess there were 20,000+ there.

rOcKeTdOg

stunning race, roll on Roubaix!

darrell
    Free Member

i started at 9.30 and by the time I got to the Koppenberg people were queuing at the bottom and then going up in groups of 10 or so at a time. It was very civilised and we all made it up without walking.

It was my first time and it was fantastic. But as said up there, the downhill and flat sections on the cobbles were brutal with water bottles flying everywhere. I thought my kidneys were trying to escape at one point.

Will do it again next year.

crikey
    Free Member

Can you tell I had a good time?

Picto
    Free Member

http://www.sportograf.com/en/shop/reminder/1039

http://www.sportograf.com/bestof/1039/index.html

Official piccies above. Rider piccies by number not yet there.

Superb weather for it. Would really hate to do it in the wet. Never seen so many punctures on!

Managed not to lose my water bottles but stem, seat, bottle cage boltes all managed to come undone, Saddle pack bracket failed cue difficult decision food or tubes or gas cannisters.

Cracking ride – though next time would probably only do the short one with the latter half of the ride and the interesting bits.

jhw
    Free Member

Saddle pack bracket failed cue difficult decision food or tubes or gas cannisters.

Had a similar problem. The zipper on my saddle pack kept coming undone on the cobbles. Had to shove everything in my jersey pocket and ditch a water bottle (which had come out of the rack because the rack was $hite and wouldn’t hold it).

Great to push the limits like that.

Pictures are now up on Sportograf and they’re good!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘A few pictures from the Tour of Flanders (show yours!)’ is closed to new replies.