Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • A few 1×11 questions
  • mjsmke

A new bike i’m interested has 1×11 Sram X1. Coming from Shimano i have a few questions about future running costs…

Does your 10-42 cassette last as long as an average 9 speed SLX/XT?

Can i put a standard free hub on a Sram Roam hub?

Will the Sram X1 Type 2 rear derailed work with a 10 speed cassette & shifter?

mjsmke

Bump for lunch…

njee20
    Free Member

Longer

Yes

No

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomhoward

Does your 10-42 cassette last as long as an average 9 speed SLX/XT? mine has so far (xtr)

Can i put a standard free hub on a Sram Roam hub? Not if you want to run sram 11 speed

Will the Sram X1 Type 2 rear derailed work with a 10 speed cassette & shifter? dont think so, why would you want to?

njee20
    Free Member

I assume, based on q’s 2 and 3 that he’s considering ditching the lot and going ‘back’ to 10 speed. So the answer to the hub question is yes – you can change the freehub body.

You would also need a mech though.

mjsmke

Only thinking in case 11 speed cassettes stay very expensive. If they do ill switch to 10 speed for less cost. To do that I’d need to fit a standard freehub body on the roam hub. Love the idea of 1×11 though. The range is perfect for me.

tomhoward

I reckon its about even on the cost of an x1 cassette vs new freehub, mech shifter and cassette, unless you already have them.

Not looked into if but as a guess

60 for the freehub
    30 cassette
    40 for a clutch mech
    35 for a shifter.

pretty sure you could get an x1 cassette for that from ze germans or in a crc sale

mjsmke

True but if I’m getting through 1 a year its quite pricey.

tomhoward

In that case switch out straight away, that way you can sell on the 1×11 as new and get all your 10s stuff ‘free’

DanW
    Free Member

Will the Sram X1 Type 2 rear derailed work with a 10 speed cassette & shifter?

Although it is pointless, wouldn’t you be able to theoretically do this by adjusting the mechs limit screws? Isn’t the spacing between the sprockets the same on 10 and 11 speed?

Does your 10-42 cassette last as long as an average 9 speed SLX/XT?

I’ve never had a cassette last as long as XX1! Really durable things.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Although it is pointless, wouldn’t you be able to theoretically do this by adjusting the mechs limit screws? Isn’t the spacing between the sprockets the same on 10 and 11 speed?

Allegedly yes – I’ve not seen it done IRL though.

njee20
    Free Member

IME if you keep on top of chain wear then it’ll last fine. If you’re doing millions of miles then perhaps budget for more, but I’d expect several thousand miles out of a cassette no problem.

mjsmke

Cool. Thanks everyone.

cultsdave
    Free Member

My friends x01 cassette lasted 9 months. The alloy 42 tooth ring wore out. An Alloy sprocket can’t be as durable as a steel one. Did he change his chains enough? Maybe not but his 10sp xt cassette certainly lasted way over a year.

njee20
    Free Member

IMO, if you’re using the 42t that much then a smaller ring is needed.

br
    Free Member

If you only get through one a year, you’re not riding enough 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

IMO, if you’re using the 42t that much then a smaller ring is needed.

It’s a fair opinion but if I’m limited to 11 gears I want to be able to use them all. I’m too tight for the current price of 11 speed, I may as well have a 10 speed cassette and imagine I have an eleventh gear I don’t dare use.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s a fair opinion but if I’m limited to 11 gears I want to be able to use them all

And of course you can, I didn’t say that you can’t use the 42. I said that if you’re spending a disproportionate amount of time in it then a smaller ring would be a wise choice.

No reason it should wear quickly if you’re using it 1/11th of the time!

mjsmke

Looking at the ratios i’d hardly use the 42t ring. It would be nice if they introduces more options like a 10-40 or 11 – 40 to be able to run a standard freehub which will enable shimano/sram compatability.

Is the spacing on 11 different to 10?

njee20
    Free Member

If you want an 11-40, just get Shimano?

Allegedly the spacing is the same – the cassette being 10% wider, not seen it confirmed though.

mjsmke

I could only run shimano if i fit a standard freehub body.

mjsmke

Gonna see how it runs and wears in the first year. I will only go back from 11 to 10 if:

A.Cassette prices dont drop.
    B.Cassette wear is much faster that what i am use to.
    C. More ratio choices don’t become available.

I can put up with the price if they last longer which sounds like it will. But would really like more choice of ratios.

asbrooks

According to this drivetrain magic
    the difference is 0.05mm.

mjsmke

Thats a very useful article. Shimano 7 and 8 speed according to that has a 0.1mm difference but i ran 7 speed shifters on an 8 speed cassette with no problems for years.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘A few 1×11 questions’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts