Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • A fell running question (to do with downhills).
  • kennyp
    Free Member

I’ve been doing a wee bit of fell running (for a bit of variety) and found I’ve quite enjoyed it even though I’m crap. Have even done a few races, though admittedly any finishing position outside the bottom 25% is a bit of an achievement.

Anyway, wWhat I’ve found with the races that have a significant downhill element is that for about three days afterwards my legs will barely move. Just above the knees is very stiff and sore and walking downstairs I have to use the handrail.

Are there some sort of recovery exercises I can do which mitigate this, or is it just the fact I’m a bit of a feeble runner?

I should also add that some of the fell runners I’ve seen in races are awesome athletes, especially for amateurs. I’d always known running uphill was hard (obviously!) but had no appreciation of just how amazing these guys are on the descents. Totally fearless and no brakes, helmets, body armour or any of the stuff we use.

surfer
    Free Member

Its DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) its simply because you are not used to the impact. Practice occasionally on downhills and you wont get it.

theteaboy
    Free Member

As above. It’s all part of the fun and gets better as you get stronger. A gentle bike ride helps me to loosen it off.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mogrim

Practise more. As you get more confident you’ll probably go faster, at the moment you may be braking yourself / holding yourself back which will put extra (unnecessary) stress on your legs.

You could also do weights, lunges particularly will help.

kennyp
    Free Member

As above. It’s all part of the fun and gets better as you get stronger. A gentle bike ride helps me to loosen it off.

Yet one more of life’s problems where riding a bike is the answer!

Re the DOMS, does sound like I just need to man up and get out more. Just off for a run now. 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

If you want to avoid DOMS..
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-oIkNu9MwA[/video]

jeffm
    Free Member

I’m my experience soreness (DOMS) from fell running descending happens when I’m taking it easy, therefore I’m slowing down with every foot strike and putting more pressure through my legs.
    If I let go and and let myself run faster then I find I rarely ache, so the faster I descend the less DOMS I get.

Are you a cautious descender?

piemonster

Apply rule number 5 ya big Jessie.

kennyp
    Free Member

Are you a cautious descender?

Not so much cautious, more that my legs only seem able to cope with going so far downhill then they need a rest. But a bit cautious too I guess. I certainly get passed by more folk on the downhills than the uphills.

kennyp
    Free Member

Love that video I should add. Must remember never to fell run with my phone in my back pocket!

jeffm
    Free Member

Get out there and practice pushing the descents hard.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘A fell running question (to do with downhills).’ is closed to new replies.