• This topic has 21 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TomB.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • A + E or not?
  • OmarLittle
    Free Member

Had a crash yesterday, got patched up by a first aider – some road rash which stings a bit and a couple of chunks out my knee which was pretty bloody. After getting treated i was told i should go to the doctors the next day to have it looked at and get the dressing changed. However cant get an appointment for this until next week. 🙁

I am reluctant to go to A+E about this as it is clearly not an emergency but at the same time it would be good to have someone check it out. What does the stw hive mind say – should i go or am i just being timewasting knob tying up emergency resources for something relatively minor?

29erKeith
    Free Member

any local walk in non-emergency centres?

z1ppy

Minor injuries units, walk-in centres and urgent care centres

If your injury is not serious, go to a minor injuries unit (MIU), walk-in centre or urgent care centre rather than an A&E department. You could be seen more quickly than in A&E, and it allows staff in A&E to concentrate on people with serious and life-threatening conditions.

postcode search on the left of this page

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jamiep
    Free Member

If it isn’t an emergency then do not go to A&E. Is there a Minor Injuries Unit?

Jamie
    Free Member

Minor injuries/hobble-in centre.

molgrips
    Free Member

There are supposed to be walk-in centres (or hobble-in) for this kind of thing, but in our case it’s the same place as our large efficient A&E dept. They prioritise, so you with your dressing change/check will not take any time away from proper emergencies.

There are some walk-in centres that are not in A&E though, look up your local one.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Would have gone to the minor injuries unit but the 2 closest hospitals only seem to have an A+E 😕

molgrips
    Free Member

Then they probably do both. No point in setting up a separate MIU when you already have an A&E with all the facilities. MIU are for places without big hospital coverage, I’d imagine.

Why not call them?

Basil

Got to be some great gangrene pics on the net somewhere!

clubber
    Free Member

Minor injuries as above. I had an off a couple of weeks ago and made a good old mess of my knee but it wasn’t A&E bad so I went to the MI place and they patched me up in around 2.5hrs which is much faster than A&E would have been given that I would have been low priority. And they gave me loads of dressings and antibiotics as I was off to Italy for work the next day.

z1ppy

If there is not a minor injuries unit in your area then these services are also provided by A&E departments.

fairy muff…

jamiep
    Free Member

It isn’t uncommun for MIU to be attached to A&E – you will be triaged on arrival. But check first that there is an MIU else I’d be back to the GP asking for an appointment that day as they will have slots for such occurrences (need to be seen that day but not an emergency)

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Yeah seems the MIU is attached, thanks for the advice. Have managed to get a cancellation at the GP today so dont need to go to the hospital now. Well i hope i dont need to go to the hospital 😀

jambourgie
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go to A&E. Marlo and his boys will definitely have eyeball on it yo…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I didn’t go to MIU for this.

edit

But that was two days ago and it’s much better now after 48 hours of Tegaderm dressings. Not going to the only minor injuries in the city to get a dressing changed. Things to do etc and couldn’t get to the doctors.

Not the first off, won’t be the last. Stitches, hospital, otherwise, homecare.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Sorry that pic was huge and gory. Will re-up if you want.

See here http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fell-off-skin-gone-recovery-tips

jon1973
    Free Member

If it isn’t an emergency then do not go to A&E. Is there a Minor Injuries Unit?

A lot of hospitals it’s the same place and they just triage you and send you to the right department.

iolo
    Free Member

Call your doctor at 8 am tomorrow morning.
    Make an emergency appointment.

meehaja
    Free Member

Get some dressings and change them yourself?

qwerty
    Free Member

Get some dressings and change them yourself?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

if it doesn’t need a stitch then just clean it up and put some clean dressings on it. That’s all the professionals do.

TomB

Does your gp practice have a nurse practitioner? appointment with them rather than doc might be a way of getting this done. I’d recommend having a professional assess/clean/dress it, to avoid rubbish healing, infection etc.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘A + E or not?’ is closed to new replies.