Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • A downhill race in …erm, Sunderland
  • sharkattack

Well I said “I’ll believe it when I see it” and yesterday it went off without a hitch and fun was had by all.

Due a change in staff (and attitude) in the local National Trust and some coercion by the manager of new LBS, Sanctuary bikes, we now have the first ever official mountain bike trails in Sunderland.

The local ranger, the lads from Sanctuary and a handful of volunteers have spent about two months creating some very short but fun blasts in the woods which were previously off limits to bikes. Yesterday was the very first ‘Penshaw Bike Fest’ to officially open the trails. There was a DH race with the fastest men finishing in around a minute.

I’m from Sunderland and I have a love/hate relationship with the place. I love leaving and I hate coming back. Saying that, it’s great to see fun, local trails and see all the people that it’s brought out of the woodwork. Mountain biking in Sunderland doesn’t really have a ‘scene’ as we all have to travel elsewhere to ride but these little trails at Penshaw have introduced me to loads of new faces and reacquainted me with lots of old ones.

Anyway, enough waffle from me and a few snaps…

More pics HERE

kayak23

Schweet. 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

didnt see it advertised on the NDH facebook page, who was running it?

sharkattack

It was a joint effort between Sanctuary Bikes and the National Trust. I didn’t realise NDH were involved but they got roped in to run the timing.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

What is the name of that pillar romanesk building ?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

penshaw monument

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

But it’s pronounced ‘Pensher Monument’ 😉

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Cheers guys I have seen it countless times many moons ago but the name escaped my memory

jock-muttley

Thanks sooooo much for the comments chaps & chapesses…. glad you enjoyed it.

The response we have had from this event has been phenomonal, we have to give a MASSIVE thanks to Gareth the NT Ranger at Penshaw and the Sanctuary Warriors who between them have literally moved mountains to make this possible.

If possible we will be running at least one more DH event later this year at the venue and The Penshaw Bike Festival will be expanded for 2014 to encompass DH, XC, CX and Road events all based around this iconic landmark.

organdonor
    Free Member

Pedant mode

Although often called “Penshaw Monument”, the correct title of the structure is The Earl of Durham’s Monument.

/Pedant mode

Edit: *ducks* 😀

nodrog2
    Free Member

I know several people who did this and they all gave really good positive feedback. Would have raced myself had it not been for work.

jock-muttley

I’m not a pedant stoner I’m a pedant stoners son

*finds stone… lobs it*

:mrgreen:

nodrog2
    Free Member

Amelia Taylor in pic 6 with a purple helmet (snigger) 😉

white101

Herrington Park is screaming out for some kind of bike use. Well done its a steep hill in places so a good venue for DH

jock-muttley

Here ya go…. helmet cam from Mark Neal of both his runs =0)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-xI-CBWoN8[/video]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘A downhill race in …erm, Sunderland’ is closed to new replies.