Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • A different light question,
  • mrmo
    Free Member

I don't give a **** about which light to buy so please don't say buy a torch:-) if i want a torch i'll buy a 6 cell maglite, makes a handy cosh…

I have noticed that some of the LED lights are using optics and some reflectors, in terms of efficiency and beam pattern is one better than the other? Which gives the more even light beam, a number of beam shots floating around are very spotty and have dimmer halos. rather than a more even fall off.

trout
    Free Member

MrMo

The P7/MCE type get a better throw from reflectors as the light source is large and does not work well with small collimating optics .

My chosen lights have single leds with single optics so it is possible to tune the beam for your needs .and have no hotspot just a nicely lit trail .

mrmo
    Free Member

Just so i get this clear the P7/MCE is a multi-chip LED? and the Cree XC's are a single chip LED?

so if you go for a P7 you have more power in each LED but because of the increased size emitting area of the LED you have to use a reflector.

The smaller size of the single chip LEDs allow for the use of Optics, but produce less light, one chip as opposed to four?

I guess in both cases that no one designs a "bike" lens and cyclists rely on the most suitable offering?

trout
    Free Member

yes sort of mrmo

no the multi led emmitters each led is roughly the same in output as a single XPE/Xre if driven at the same current just times 4 .

but as they are emmitting through a single optic/reflector is is a compromise

where as 4 XPE leds each can have its own optic be it spot/ medium /wide or eliptical
    one of each would result in a far better biking beam than any of the bastids or torches out there with P7s
    for a similar lumen count and in a smaller footprint

The main light makers say they have a custom designed optic for their lights which is certainly doable .

but thi likes of me have to make do with what we can get of the peg

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘A different light question,’ is closed to new replies.