Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • A day and a half (or so) in Manchester
  • ChrisL

I’ll be heading down from Edinburgh to Manchester in November to see Wilco. The gig’s on a Friday evening. My vague plan is took take the train down on Friday morning and come back on the Saturday evening and use the spare time inbetween to see some of Manchester.

So, what to do, what to see? The Museum of Science and Technology looks up my street, but I expect there’s other things I could be doing so what do you all suggest?

Also – the easy accommodation option is to book a night at one of the centrally located budget hotel chain options, but if there’s anywhere else that’ll offer a decent but basic night of sleep plus something resembling breakfast I’d have a look. Any recommendations there?

monksie
    Free Member

The Peoples Museum. A couple of art galleries. National Football Museum. Is the Police Museum still open? University museum on Oxford Rd. I’m from there, work there and end up in the city centre at least once a week and I can’t find any really intersting thing to do there…just museums. Whitworth Art Gallery.
    Manchester is rubbish and I’ve only just realised.
    Be shops to have a look round: Bike Rooms. Evans. Harry Hall. Keep Pedalling and that Bike fitting place round the corner from Keep Pedalling.
    I’d just head for Premier Inn for what it’s worth for sleeping.

eddie11
    Free Member

1st buy an umbrella.

ChrisL

Thanks for the tips. For a one off trip I reckon that checking out a museum or two will be fine. I’m going with a mate who isn’t into cycling so a tour of Manchester’s bike shops probably isn’t on the cards. 🙂

monksie
    Free Member

Good point! If you’re going anywhere near Piccadilly Gardens, get an umbrella. Those pigeons have no respect! A good selection of brollies (of the use twice, throw away once standard) are available from the African chaps on the pedestrian bit.
    DON’T buy one of those bird tweeter noise things off that bloke a bit further down Market Street. He lets people Try Before You Buy and they never buy. Them things have been in all sorts of peoples mouths.

slackboy

the holiday inn express (manchester arena) is nice and on the edge of the northern quarter. loads of good places for breakfast, don’t bother with the hotel one.

I like Koffee Pot and Moose Coffee (american diner style place) but theres are good list here:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/best-places-brunch-breakfast-manchester-8010723

things to do; depends what you like. science museum is good as is imperial war museum. You could also get a train out to hebden bridge and go for a walk in the country

jonnym92

Don’t do hotel breakfast go to Federal or Home Sweet Home. Solita is good if you’re after food too.

If you’re into odd bars. Hold Fast is cool, usually has a film showing and has nintendos set up for use!
    http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/food-and-drink/bars/new-hold-fast-bar-northern-quarter

You’ve also got Port St Beer house not far away.

Das ist gut.
    http://albertsschloss.co.uk/

giant_scum
    Free Member

I normally stay in the Travelodge when I’m in Manchester during the week, but have heard some horror stories about weekends in them with noisy crowds in.
    Holiday Inn Express is a good shout though I would imagine the price would put the hoi polloi off. The breakfast in there is at best terrible, so try one of the local eateries.

ChrisL

Boozing is not my thing and I’ll be at the gig the one night I’m there, so pubs will be useful more for their food than anything else. The centre looks to have plenty of stuff within walking distance so I reckon I’ll stick to doing stuff there rather than faff with public transport while I’m down there. Thanks for the breakfast tips!

crazy-legs

The centre looks to have plenty of stuff within walking distance so I reckon I’ll stick to doing stuff there rather than faff with public transport while I’m down there.

If you do decide to go further afield, the tram network is excellent (you may not belive this having experienced the Edinburgh interpretation of “trams”) but you can get an off-peak Travelcard for £5 which gives unlimited travel.

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/tickets/Pages/Travelcards.aspx

Maybe a trip out to Salford Quays for the Lowry or Imperial War Museum North? For breakfast, Pot Kettle Black just off Deansgate
    http://potkettleblackltd.co.uk/

Or for a more cycling-inspired breakfast, the Rapha Cycle Club is in St Ann’s Square, tucked away behind the church.

ChrisL

I’d forgotten about the trams, but it is 17 years since I was last in Manchester. I had noticed IWM North but thought it would be hassle to get to but if the trams are that cheap then maybe not.

Cougar

The Museum of Science and Technology looks up my street

MoSI is awesome, go.

BillMC

The city art gallery has some terrific paintings but it’s small enough that you can get round pretty quickly.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Day and a half? Start a band?

slowoldman

If you’re going anywhere near Piccadilly Gardens…

Though best avoided. Full of chavs, smack heads and beggars.
    Jolly good reggae band yesterday though.

monksie
    Free Member

And pooing pigeons. £3 for a brollie. Spend it!

Northwind

The People’s History Museum’s good but there’s also a fair bit of crossover with MOSI and weirdly MOSI tells some of the stories better, unless you manage to attract the enthusiasm of one of the staff/volunteers. You could do worse but I’d look for something different (MOSI is going to eat most of one of your days)

Actually quite an interesting area around there too, if it’s dry (HAH) it’s a nice wander around the fort and castlefield park, and down to the canal junction, check out the bridges and that.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

Pie-minister on church street is good, and Sugar Junction on Tib Street sells nice cake and coffee, both are 5 minute,s away from Piccadilly as is Matt and Phreds jazz club.

if you visit the football museum, Manchester cathedral is just round the corner, which means you could then pop into Proper tea opposite for more cake.

walk down Deansgate and call in at the John Rylands library a truly fantastic building, continue up Deansgate until you reach dimitris greek restaurant turn right and the MOSI is at the bottom.

Duke street has got the remains of a roman fort, and a nice bit of green space to sit and chill.

The canal is just in front of the roman fort, if you take the rochdale canal towpath back towards Canal Street,you could call in the Richmond tea room for more cake.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘A day and a half (or so) in Manchester’ is closed to new replies.