Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • A cry for help…… Lyrik lower service gone wrong
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

Piddling down here so decided to have a day of maintainance.
    Did a few other things and decided to do a couple of lower services. Did kids recon race, no problem.
    Moved on to a set of lyriks. One side is the usual hex nut, no problem there, but the valve side. 10mm long socket, unscrewed a few turns and tapped with the platic hammer. The oil dropped but it clearly has not disengaged. If i turn the nut the whole way it just moves down the screader shaft. Even if i give it another persusion it will not disengage….
    What am i doing wrong? Any pointers or am i going to have to go to the bike shop with a sheepish demeanour?

nuke

Not certain which side we’re talking: air forks spring side?

Based on the air version, you need to stop the lowers moving as you hit the slackened off 10mm nut so the internal shaft will move back and release from the lowers…personally I just firmly hold the leg lower whilst hitting the nut.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Yes air forks valve side.

Sorry about the poor description. I shall try to make it a bit clearer now I am off the phone and on a computer.

Valve side, undid a few turns with a 10mm long socket. tapped with mallet as normal, the oil dropped so assume the internals have cleared the hole in lowers. now if I try to unscrew the 10mm further if just travels down the schreader valve to the end and then the whole assembly simply spins with the internals still attached.

Cheers for any pointers.

fd3chris
    Free Member

try to hold the upper part of the exposed thread with some soft grips and see if you can remove the 10mm nut the rest of the way.

nuke

I don’t get it: if the oils dropped and the internal shafts are free of the lowers, you removed the rebound bolt and you can remove the 10mm nut, there doesnt sound like theres anything left to do to remove the lowers 😕

:edit: oh got it…as fdchris said

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m taking it that the 10mm nut hasn’t come off completely but at the end of the thread it jams and starts spinning the shaft instead?

steveh

Or push down on the lowers to load them up. I’ve had this with fox forks before and find a foot on the brace pushing down does the job fine.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

steveh – Member
    Or push down on the lowers to load them up. I’ve had this with fox forks before and find a foot on the brace pushing down does the job fine.

That’s the ticket. That will work.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

fd3Chris, that is exactly the issue. I have tried compressing the lowers as that has worked in the past. Sadly this time no joy.

Just for a quick sanity check: I need to get the 10mm nut off and all will be good. Lost all confidence in what I am doing.

fd3chris
    Free Member

you must have enough thread above the 10mm nut to hold with some soft grip pliers while you undo the nut off the bottom of the shaft thread? when you do this gently work the nut back and forth until it eases itself off the end of the thread. Don’t force anything and you should be fine.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Cheers chaps. Got it with some soft grip pliers. I was starting to lack confidence for a minute then.

As an aside, when did Rockshox stop fitting foam rings? These seem to have something called oil seals ( in the SRAM tech docs) fitted instead. Can’t see this being anywhere near as good.

fd3chris
    Free Member

glad it worked 🙂 I’m not sure when they changed over but I’m sure someone will know 🙂 happy spannering !

chrisdw
    Free Member

Think oil seals are used as they have longer service intervals. Foam rungs need to be re oiled pretty often and if they aren’t, they can result in quite a lot of stiction.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘A cry for help…… Lyrik lower service gone wrong’ is closed to new replies.