Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • A couple of Scandal Questions
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m in the market for a lightweight XC HT, there’s a few about that weigh in at 3.5lbs r less for the frame.

Does the Scandal suffer like it’s Inbred brethren with regards to chain suck (yeah, yeah I know it’s down to a worn drive train)?

How do they ride, are they very stiff at the back end?

carlphillips
    Free Member

they are remarkably soft, i dont notice much difference between that and my steel inbred really, if you are in the market for one then i’ll be selling mine at the end of this week, only owned since july (i have 2 ht’s and yearn for the fs again so its going) no marks dents cable rub etc and in 16″ flavour. mail in profile

steve_b77
    Free Member

Bit small for me but thanks for the offer

scaredypants

agree, they’re not harsh

only ever ridden mine ss, so no idea about chainsuck

carlphillips
    Free Member

oh yeah the chainsuck, never had any problems at all, fantastic bike not just for xc racing but i used mine for general trail duties in the woods.
    highly recommended if you want my opinion.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Don’t know about chainsuck as I ride mine singlespeeder. But it is a very comfy aluminium bike, I did 10@Kirroughtree solo on mine, about 90km, and had a blast. Did quite a few long rides on it prior to that whilst training and I would say it was just as comfortable as my 456.

tazzymtb

if you can find one try a voodoo sobo, mentally good xc hardtail and scary light.

never had a chainsuck issue with the scandal 29er before it went single speed, but then I never had issues with 26″ inbreds either.

I think some people are just cack at setting bikes up properly and prefer to blame the design rather than their pure muppetry 😉

damo2576
    Free Member

interesting, I’m looking for an alternative to a giant xtc frame which i like but find a little uncomfortable.

steve_b77
    Free Member

damo,

How uncomfortable are we talking on the XTC as thats another one I’m considering.

tazzymtb

to be honest for the money I’d go for the new carbon wippet or wait for the carbon fiber 29er on-one

damo2576
    Free Member

The xtc is really light, stiff and responsive. I just find it a little tiring after a while. A few years ago it wouldn’t have bothered me but getting on a bit now…
    It’s fairly stretched out/racy riding position also so depends if you like that or not.

damo2576
    Free Member

FWIW you can pick up xtc frames dirt cheap on ebay if you want to give a go. A lot of people like me must flog them! Only go for around £50-£100 i see which for a decent alu 1.5kg(?) frame ain’t bad.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Tazzy good idea but I’d have to buy a load of new bits like the headset, BB92 and a direct mount front mech

anotherstan
    Free Member

loved my scandal, should never have sold it 😥
    never noticed it becoming uncomfortable on long rides, and extremely quick.

damo2576
    Free Member

I was tempted by the Scandal but wondered if it would be much different in reality to the xtc frame

tazzymtb
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘A couple of Scandal Questions’ is closed to new replies.