Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • A couple of dentistry questions to the STW massive
  • sturdylad
    Free Member

So I bought a Waterpik flosser from Costco yesterday and after washing the walls down a couple of times and nearly drowning myself, I have to say I’m not impressed. This one
    Are they worth having or just another gimmick, this one comes with a 14 day no quibble return option so I can see it going back very soon.
    If water or water/air flossers are deemed to be a good thing, what’s the go to STW brand of choice?

Also, mouthwash… Any recommendations for something that isn’t just repackaged paint stripper, I may have fresher breath but my tastebuds appear to have been burned off!

Over to you!

Thanks

johndoh
    Free Member

Mouthwash – go for alcohol free stuff, much more pleasant.

dms01

I suggest you use interdental brushes….pipe cleaner things with a handle, Wakerpiks are very rarely useful. You are trying to achieve the same effect in between your teeth as you do with a brush on the easier to reach surfaces. So why try anything other than a brush?

The purpose is to disrupt the biofilm. Mechanical means win hands down. Which is why mouthwash is minimally effective. Yes there is some circumstances where we may suggest an antiseptic oral rinse…. Chlorhexidine for example. But it is not a substitute for effective mechanical cleaning. Oh and listerine has some evidence, but less than CHX. If you have ++++ decay a fluoride rinse at a different time to when you brush may be helpful.

A dentist. And yes I ride a Santa Cruz.

sturdylad
    Free Member

Thanks, just the sort of answers I wanted really.
    Got a dentist appointment on Wednesday so I’ll use it until then and then it’s going back.
    Good call on the i d brushes.
    Will try them next.

backinireland
    Free Member

Interdental brushes and an electric toothbrush.
    Then a Hygienist appointment and take them along and get them to show you how to use them.

Mouthwash, well I don’t bother.
    May be of som3 benefit if used at a different time from toothbrushing.
    Corsodyl/chlorhexidine tends to stain your teeth brown.
    Would also suggest spitting toothpaste out and not rinsing.

Another dentist. Sold my Santa Cruz but I do have a T5…

FuzzyWuzzy

I looked at a waterpick a while back (I like gadgets…) but a lot of reviews are pretty negative (mostly the water spraying everywhere thing you mention). Most of the gaps in my teeth are too small for interdental brushes so I just used the combined toothpick + floss things (less hassle than dental floss, especially for the back teeth), as well as an electric toothbrush obviously.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Don’t bother with dentists.These days there just looking for work out of pointless,painful and expensive treatments.Don’t think dentist think businessman!

DezB
    Free Member

I find the opposite to monkeycmonkeydo – in the past they used to fill every single hole or crack in teeth, now the practice is to let the tooth heal itself and only fill if absolutely necessary.
    This may be because I’m on Denplan and have already paid 😕

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

You want get of that,no incentive for them to spend time on you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘A couple of dentistry questions to the STW massive’ is closed to new replies.