Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • A computer company made something new for people to buy.
  • Cougar

I doubt minesweeper is smp ready!

Shush.

(-:

GrahamS

They may well be Apple patents but these features are no longer exclusive to the iphone,

Yep fair enough – just pointing out why it is not so incredible that your mate thinks these were iPhone only features. They were until fairly recently.

Apple dropped the ball by not giving the new iphone some more processing power.

Are we benchmarking phones now???? Jeesus. 😯

If we are then you should probably know that comparing raw clock speeds is not a good way to do a comparison, especially when the phones have different CPUs, different architectures and different OSes.

FWIW I expect the new A5 chip will be plenty fast enough – it certainly seems to do well in the iPad 2.

pjbarton
    Free Member

What, like iTunes? I’d quite like an iPhone, but having to use that steaming pile of poo is the main reason I haven’t got one right now.

never found anyone who can tell me why or what’s better. maybe you’re using it wrong!
    seriously though, smart playlists are amazing and without them, I couldn’t use an alternative.

deviant
    Free Member

So you dont think that the previous iphone having an 800Mhz processor and approx 500mb of RAM was the reason it lagged behind the 1Gh devices out there?….Youtube is full of videos showing browser comparisons between the iphone and its rivals and it is almost always slower in loading pages and browsing the internet….isnt this THE key function of a smart phone?

HTC and Samsung released 1.2Ghz twin core devices with 1Gb of RAM earlier in the year and the speed with which they work is superb….Apple respond with 1Ghz and 1Mb?….poor show….particularly with 1.5Ghz devices round the corner.

The holy grail for smart phones has surely got to be the kind of speeds that laptops are capable of?….Apple seem to want to focus on gimmicks like voice command instead.

(isnt the ‘new’ Apple A5 processor made by Samsung?!)

chvck
    Free Member

never found anyone who can tell me why or what’s better. maybe you’re using it wrong!
    seriously though, smart playlists are amazing and without them, I couldn’t use an alternative.

It doesn’t run properly on Linux. Pretty major issue for me that one! Also the folder organizing stuff is too rigid for me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

JulianA –
    Fair enough – I have admitted above that I didn’t do as much research as I could have done.
    Now go and pick on someone else, aracer.

You clearly did **** all research.

This place is harsh, only room for epic battle legends.

GrahamS

So you dont think that the previous iphone having an 800Mhz processor and approx 500mb of RAM was the reason it lagged behind the 1Gh devices out there?

I’d say the RAM would be a much bigger influence than the clock speed to be honest.

Yes, sure some of the recent droids loads web pages a second faster.

Don’t forget those videos you are comparing an iPhone 4 (from June 2010) with stuff like a Samsung S2 (May 2011). A year is a long time in this market.

Also don’t forget that the Samsung’s low resolution display means it has 230,000 fewer pixels to render in the same time.

HTC and Samsung released 1.2Ghz twin core devices with 1Gb of RAM earlier in the year and the speed with which they work is superb….Apple respond with 1Ghz and 1Mb?

Err no… Apple respond with a 1GHz System-on-a-chip (i.e. not just a CPU) that is dual-core, has dual-core PowerVR graphics and 1GB of RAM.

That seems a relatively tit-for-tat response.

BTW do you know who makes that nice Apple A5 SoC? Samsung!

Edit: oh you did 😀

Apple seem to want to focus on gimmicks like voice command instead.

Apple gimmicks are what launched the smartphone market and got it to where it is now. Perhaps you should give them more credit?

pjbarton
    Free Member

Also the folder organizing stuff is too rigid for me.

why would you want to do it differently?… It’s not a place you need to go to surely?

GrahamS

the folder organizing stuff is too rigid for me.

??

I have all my MP3s organised as I want them (in folders named with Artist then Album Name). I did that myself, not iTunes, as my collection pre-dates me using iTunes. So I just pointed iTunes at this collection and it works. Not sure what the issue is.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Which part of

That is all.

did you people not get?

😉

aracer
    Free Member

Well this discussion is certainly going well 😉

a lower power CPU for better battery life… Faster CPU? Meh

Though often a faster CPU does also mean better battery life (assuming you can throttle it – don’t know about the processors in these phones, but assume they must have loads of power saving features). For example the “netbook” I’m typing on has a higher power dual core processor than the stock machine, which apparently results in better battery life because more can be switched off for normal usage.

Toasty

HTC and Samsung released 1.2Ghz twin core devices with 1Gb of RAM earlier in the year and the speed with which they work is superb….Apple respond with 1Ghz and 1Mb?….poor show….particularly with 1.5Ghz devices round the corner.

You compare completely irrelevant statistics. Would a 4ghz Pentium 4 roast a 2.5ghz i7? The vast majority of the time I’d rather have a modern chip run at a lower clockspeed, lowering heat and raising battery life.

Do you mean solely for 3d processing in games? Those Snapdragons have absolutely terrible 3d processing power, or anything floating point for that matter. The Galaxy S2 has a load of power… because it uses the same ARM A9-Cortex architechture as the iPhones. Pure CPU wise I’d take the iPhones over the crappy Qualcomm in the HTC Sensation anyday.

Toasty

Though often a faster CPU does also mean better battery life

Lower nm process used in the CPU means longer battery life. This in turn means lower heat, which often means higher clockspeeds.

To be honest, 90% will go on your screen anyway.

xiphon
    Free Member

Though often a faster CPU does also mean better battery life

CPU efficiency is the key, not speed.

grum
    Free Member

So you dont think that the previous iphone having an 800Mhz processor and approx 500mb of RAM was the reason it lagged behind the 1Gh devices out there?….Youtube is full of videos showing browser comparisons between the iphone and its rivals and it is almost always slower in loading pages and browsing the internet….

Yes but only real saddoes are tragic enough to spend their time watching them.

simonm
    Free Member

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘A computer company made something new for people to buy.’ is closed to new replies.