Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 283 total)
  • A colleague has just won £1 million!
  • globalti
    Free Member

On a scratch card! They’ve paid her £5,000 and the rest is coming this afternon – and she’s still at work!

Wish she was my pal…!

Kryton57

Not a massive amount of Money these day’s is it. I wouldn’t reactive by leaving my job.

It’d pay the mortgage or trade up to a new yet sensible house, buy a couple of nice cars and decorate the place then the rest would be left for the kids/a rainy day.

I’d still need to work though.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Not a massive amount of Money these day’s is it

Errr…. yes. It is. Congrats to them I’d be pissed already.

GregMay
    Free Member

Depends on how you live, and what you want from life. I could “retire” from 9-5 work and do some freelance work and be in a much happier place for the rest of my life easily.

nickc

Not a massive amount of Money these day’s is it.

What!!!!

That’s amazing, she must be so happy. bet that’s the best monday she’ll ever have 😀

seadog101

Sadly, Nowadays, a Million does not give you a millionaires lifestyle for long…

Still, I wouldn’t turn it down. If it came my way it’d mean still working, but I could pick and choose the contractual/agency jobs that I would enjoy, even though they’d be paying me less.

peterfile
    Free Member

Most people would take almost a life time to earn that, so yes it is.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I could “retire” from 9-5 work and do some freelance work and be in a much happier place for the rest of my life easily.

Definitely this.

stumpy01

Kryton57 – Member

Not a massive amount of Money these day’s is it. I wouldn’t reactive by leaving my job.

It’d pay the mortgage or trade up to a new yet sensible house, buy a couple of nice cars and decorate the place then the rest would be left for the kids/a rainy day.

It’s still a sizeable chunk of cash!!
    We could pay the mortgage off, get the remaining decorating work done, upgrade both our cars and still have around £800,000 left.

I’d definitely leave my job and spend some time working out what I’d really want to do, then re-train for that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

20 years at 50k per year?

Yeah crap amount of money

nemesis
    Free Member

From memory, studies on lottery winners suggest that £750k is the amount you need to win to actually make you happier. Any less than that is obviously nice but doesn’t make enough difference to actually make you happier.

So sounds like your colleague has done well for herself 🙂

jam-bo

lucky lady.

sure its not going to buy you a “millionares” lifestyle for long but if your smart its a life changing amount.

live a modest lifestyle and I doubt you’d have to work much, if at all.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I think a mil would be enough to make me seriously re-evaluate my life. Could get a decent house and car(s), pay off present mortgage to keep as a renter and give probably £100k to each set of parents(plus £50k to sister in law).

Then figure out what to do with my time once I’ve finished my degree and no longer have to be a shift worker.

I think the question of how much it would change your life hinges on where you live. Up north, yeah, down south, not so much.

brassneck

Bit of careful investment, pay off the mortgage and probably still be effectively better off than working despite ‘earning’ less. What’s not to like?

scruff
    Free Member

Id be on the work phone to Stif with a hefty order, then buy my colleagues cakes, then leave never to return.

kimbers

is she single? 😉

bomberman
    Free Member

How many times have you won a million quid!??

Honestly the interweb really brings out the PO in people’s faces sometimes.

nemesis
    Free Member

20 years at 50k per year?
    Yeah crap amount of money

No.

You need to factor in inflation and interest to make a real world estimate of the value unless you planned to go back to work in 20 years.

£1m could be lived on but not with a ‘millionaire’s’ lifestyle unless you made some really good investment choices.

I’d still be very happy to win it though 🙂 I’d start a bike company knowing that essentially I just had to break even.

Mugboo

Who cares about leading a millionaires lifestyle, I love my boring life. A million would be more than enough, in fact enough to clear my mortgage would do!

With a million, at my current rate of spend I could work part time and build trails every afternoon 🙂

jekkyl

buy a decent house for 300k or less (think anywhere north of birmingham southerners) if your 700k earns 3% interest that’s 21k p/a. Without a mortgage that would be enough for me to live in, cycling every single day and doing exactly whatever I please.

sparksmcguff

Doubles all round then. Wouldn’t say no that. Ms Sparks does the scratch cards very occasionally. Despite my protestations that it is a waste of money she has made more than she has lost – just!

benji
    Free Member

That’s fantastic news for her.

Definitely leave my job, at 41, that would happily see me out, I don’t want a millionaire lifestyle, bit more time during and a spot of fishing as well, lovely.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

As Kryton says – these days it is not a massive amount of cash. Sure, there’s a bunch of things that could be paid off now and you will be able to be pretty comfortable for a long time ahead with your current lifestyle. But the key thing that a lot of people don’t seem to appreciate is that having £1m does not open a gateway to living life like a millionaire. There is a distinction between the two.

Sure, I would love to win that much money and it would make a material difference to my life. As others have said, it would allow more flexibility in choosing a job that may not necessarily pay so well but could give a lot more job and life satisfaction.

nickjb
    Free Member

Honestly the interweb really brings out the PO in people’s faces sometimes.

I’d agree with the original statement. You won’t be hopping round the world on a private jet or supping champagne on your own island . With good investment you should be able to bring in 50-60k, and possibly a lot more, for doing nothing for the rest of your life, which would be very nice.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well i would say that i wouldnt make any rash decisions till the cash was in the bank…but as soon as it was i would be on the first plane out of what ever shit hole i was in and id be back home with my family and looking for a subsistance job with no traveling to keep me sane 🙂

bomberman
    Free Member

I’d start a bike company knowing that essentially I just had to break even.

I think you may need more than money to start a successful bike company. Like knowledge and experience for example 😉

thestabiliser
    Free Member

£1m does not open a gateway to living life like a millionaire

I’m almost certain it would 😆

bomberman
    Free Member

I’d agree with the original statement. You won’t be hopping round the world on a private jet or supping champagne on your own island . With good investment you should be able to bring in 50-60k, and possibly a lot more, for doing nothing for the rest of your life, which would be very nice.

So what was originally meant was that a million won’t let you lead a billionaire’s lifestyle for long?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Do you need to live like a millionaire to enjoy having a million iin the bank……..why does your spending have to change just cause you have cash

nemesis
    Free Member

Like knowledge and experience for example

Nah… 🙂

slowoldman

Depends how old you are when you win it.

If it was me I’d be skipping off down the road never to work again.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Given we live on a good sized planet, if you buggered off to foreign climes with that sort of money, you’d be set up for life.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Honestly the interweb really brings out the PO in people’s faces sometimes

Really? I assume you are including yourself in that statement then or perhaps care to elaborate on what you are trying to say. Nothing wrong with the statement you appear to be having a problem with

bomberman
    Free Member

I’m almost certain it would

Me too. I think there are some messed up people on this thread lol

wwaswas

I think you may need more than money to start a successful bike company.

If you want to make a small fortune running a bike company start with a large one 🙂

I tend to think a million would add ‘nice things’ to my life but wouldn’t fundamentally affect my standard of living over the rest of my life time.

It would make me more confident about my old age, though, I think ‘what happens when I get old and need care’ is probably one that we’re all going to face in the future and the answers are far from clear.

footflaps

It wouldn’t even buy you an average sized house in the nice London boroughs….

dazh

You’re joking right? I could retire on less than half of that. Yes it wouldn’t give me a millionaire lifestyle but I wouldn’t want it to. A million quid would pay off all debts, then with the rest invested you could have an income of 30-50k a year pretty easily.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Tax free too!!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Exactly.

If someone handed you a million and the best you could come up with would be re-decorate and buy a new car you’d have to be a bit ‘special’ IMO.

Access to that kind of money would have me set for life. Easily. Even in the UK.

It wouldn’t even buy you an average sized house in the nice London boroughs..

It’d buy you a palace where i live and the ridings significantly better.

Yak

hmmm – choices….

Learn to weld/braze/ framebuild?
    Brew beer?
    Make cheese?

Get that dent I put in the van last night fixed?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 283 total)

The topic ‘A colleague has just won £1 million!’ is closed to new replies.