Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • A chinese Nuclear Reactor… what could possibly go wrong?
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Did the Government really just do that?

Not to mention the ridiculous amount they will be paid for the electric.

Im struggling to understand the logic of this?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you know about the approval process for reactors?
    Is your reaction just a little xenophobic?
    There are a limited number of reactor designs approved for use, so if you want to play what could possibly go wrong then go ahead but do some research.

chewkw
    Free Member

You learn Mandarin now … you learn! 😆

Oh ya … please also outsource all your manufacturings to China … 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

It may also be a lesson on the modern world, history is great but the now is not Europe and us centric.

zippykona

Or we could really get into tidal lagoons and have a renewable energy source that if it goes wrong makes the sea wet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So what goes wrong in a modern nuclear reactor zippy? In Japan in a serious tsunami the death came from a crane that was on the site of a reactor. To some people nuclear is about the same as immigration and the daily hate

chewkw
    Free Member

????
    ????
    ?????
    ?????

😆

sweepy
    Free Member

Theres people on here that won’t trust the Chinese to make a battery charger without it blowing up.
    I just hope they put it in a biscuit tin.

rickmeister

A good example of a fortune cookie …

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I trust people to do a lot of things, China is bigger than a lot of places and the issue with lots of stuff is the fact it’s a knock off etc. Nuclear reactor doesn’t fall into that space. I may have spent some time in that industry but it’s easy to get carried away

Lifer
    Free Member

It’s not fears over safety for me, it’s the duplicity.

They’ve cut the subsidy for renewables ‘to relieve the burden on households’, their eternal mantra (that ‘long-term economic plan’) is so we don’t leave a ‘crippling level of debt for our grandchildren’ and, of course, privatisation of as much as possible.

But for this deal, none of that matters.

Rich_s

Wouldn’t it have been great to use our own state-owned company to nail together our own power stations that we’re all going to pay for over the next few decades, rather than contribute to the governments of other countries?

Oh, that’s right – we can’t. Someone flogged it to the Japs in 2006… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westinghouse_Electric_Company

Take a bow Tony B Liar.

Lifer
    Free Member

Rich_s – Member – Block User
    Wouldn’t it have been great to use our own state-owned company to nail together our own power stations that we’re all going to pay for over the next few decades, rather than contribute to the governments of other countries?

Oh, that’s right – we can’t. Someone flogged it to the Japs in 2006… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westinghouse_Electric_Company

Take a bow Tony B Liar.

The first line of the wiki is

Westinghouse Electric Company LLC is a US based nuclear power company

?

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

It’s only 15 miles from my house so i hope it’s not a Chinese knock off of the real thing. I’m sure it’ll be fine 😆

stuey
    Free Member

“Toshiba Group is the majority owner of Westinghouse.”

Klunk
    Free Member

budget overrun ?

In November 2014 EDF announced that completion of construction was delayed to 2017 due to delays in component delivery by Areva.[53]

In April 2015 Areva informed the French nuclear regulator that anomalies had been detected in the reactor vessel steel, causing “lower than expected mechanical toughness values”. Further tests are underway.[3] In July 2015 The Daily Telegraph reported that Areva had been aware of this problem since 2006.[54]

In June 2015 multiple faults in cooling system safety valves were discovered by ASN.[55]

In September 2015 EDF announced that the estimated costs had escalated to €10.5 billion, and the start-up of the reactor was delayed to the fourth quarter of 2018.[56]

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

In Japan in a serious tsunami the death came from a crane that was on the site of a reactor

Yeah, right. 1600 fatalities directly attributed to the evacuation, so unless that was a really big crane…

And leaving that aside, the economic damage has been estimated at up to $500bn already, with far more to come.

So much of the true cost of nuclear seems to be hidden off the books. For example; in 2002, it was claimed that the total cost of decommissioning in the UK would be £42bn. By 2007, it turned out it’d cost more than that to decommission Sellafield alone. Almost every year, last year’s figures turn out to be mince. And no wonder, because we’re talking about decommissioning as if we even know what we’re going to do with the waste, when we don’t.

I’m not anti-nuclear… I was, but i got over it. But even among the pro-nuclear there’s huge misgivings about this project.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

Hang on, isn’t Fukishima still pissing radioactive cooling water back into the sea? They can’t fix the problem they can only keep pumping in sea water to cool the rods? This water pisses back out into the sea. If anything stops the water being pumped onto the rods then its bye bye to most of Japan.

Yes sounds great. Tsunami is not an english word so it couldn’t possibly happen here. Oh except that it probably did 400 years ago. But I’ll just stop eating fish fingers so that will be fine.

andyl
    Free Member

I grew up being pro-nuclear. I had a very good grasp of nuclear energy when I was a kid (always had my head in physics books and enjoyed a good trip to Sellafield with Dad) but Fukushima has changed that. In this country we are pretty safe from things like earthquakes and tsunamis but there are other risks that could happen here and Fukushima goes to show that our safety systems do fail and when they do there is just nothing but bad news going to happen to people and the planet. I was mortified when I saw the recent documentary on the state of Sellafield, when I used to go up there as a kind in the 90’s it was a very different story being told.

I don’t think we have the right to unleash this kind of thing on the planet as it’s not ours. Same goes for our fossil fuel consumption and release of pollution.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So much of the true cost of nuclear seems to be hidden off the books. For example; in 2002, it was claimed that the total cost of decommissioning in the UK would be £42bn. By 2007, it turned out it’d cost more than that to decommission Sellafield alone.

Sauce on the 1600 first, as a lot more than that died are those all attributed to the nuclear plant?
    On decommissioning Sellafield is dealing with an exceedingly complex mix of existing a few historic nuclear waste from civil, military and experimental work, a tiny fraction is from commercial work and most of that is delt with as it happens. It’s a little ambitious to use overall costs as an indication of modern civil nuclear,so they tell me…

squirrelking
    Free Member

I think that it’s fair to say that Sellafield and Dounreay are special cases that can’t really be compared to any power station. The past mismanagement of the sites left long lasting legacies that quite rightly should never be repeated. Unless core material or spent fuel from decommissioned sites is crammed into cooling culverts and such a power station is nothing alike.

Its a nice deal that EDF have there considering they only need to help CGN get ONR approval for their reactor design. The fact that there is nowhere to put one as all allocations for expansion have been granted means we’re unlikely to see one built here any time soon.

(Hinkley C and Sizewell C are allocated to EDF with their Areva EPR reactor, Oldbury B and Wylfa B are allocated to Hitachi with their ABWR reactor and Moorside is allocated to Westinghouse with their AP1000 reactor, all of which are undergoing or near completion of ONR approval)

It’s also worth noting the the Russians are wanting to export their VVER-1200’s to the UK and US.

As for budget over-run, be grateful we’re not building more AGR’s, they were hardly the most simple of designs hence their lack of popularity.

Fianlly, if you want to blame anyone for this blame the previous governments that stuck their heads in the sand and pretended our ageing fleet wasn’t a problem. And decided we weren’t going to be a part of Generation III (present designs are III.5). Or Generation IV (breeder, molten salt etc.). Or, if we exit the EU, Generation V (fusion) [although given we have JET in Cambridge I can see us opting into the ITER project if we apply even a shred of common sense].

squirrelking
    Free Member

Oh, add Bradwell B to the EDF list, with a Hualong One reactor…

Wasn’t aware Bradwell was even on the cards.

JoeG
    Free Member

😀

eddiebaby
    Free Member

JET is in Cambridge? I must have good eyesight as I can see it from the lofty heights of Wittenham Clumps.

timba
    Free Member

The Chinese have been involved in our infrastructure for a decade, Huawei provide equipment to BT. National security concern? Not according to GCHQ

Had the Labour Government acted in 2002 (wasn’t that government mentioned above ^^?) then we might have been using a European consortium and building a power station now. As it is the Chinese have a one-third stake in a consortium with French-owned EDF

On the subject of Fukushima, the Coalition Government asked for an analysis of that tragedy and its possible impact on designs in 2011

shermer75
    Free Member

Weren’t we the early pioneers of this stuff? So why is somebody else building our nuclear reactors for us, shouldn’t it be the other way round?!?!

squirrelking
    Free Member

JET is in Cambridge? I must have good eyesight as I can see it from the lofty heights of Wittenham Clumps.

I concede that Culham is in Oxfordshire but you’re making that other place up.

Weren’t we the early pioneers of this stuff? So why is somebody else building our nuclear reactors for us, shouldn’t it be the other way round?!?!

Because we moved onto the Gen IV and fusion research instead (before giving up on Gen IV). Something something eggs and baskets…

rickmeister

Are the Chinese actually building it, or are UK industries doing the work, financially underwritten by the Chinese ?

badllama
    Free Member

I work for a UK firm that out sources to China for 40% of our product lines all i can say is if we could we would bring it all back to the UK due to quality issues.

I would not trust them to build a B&Q shed never mind a reactor!

Sandwich

In Japan in a serious tsunami the death came from a crane that was on the site of a reactor.

There have been at least 3 worker deaths at the plant since the tsunami. Eventually we will learn the truth but it won’t be from the Japanese because of ‘Face’

Sauce 1

Sauce 2

julianwilson
    Free Member

What’s going on with the story of “Austria challenges financial aid to France” angle of the story now?
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/905342fa-b214-11e4-80af-00144feab7de.html#axzz3pH5kb7cq

wobbliscott
    Free Member

On the contrary, my companies experience of Chinese firms is excellent. They built a huge facility in one of our factories a few years back, super efficient. Problems of quality are not always the fault of the manufacturers. Quality is involved in every step of every process from the initial design, specifications etc. But the two leading nations for nuclear power are France and China so who else would you have build our nuclear power stations? The Russians? Unfortunately decades of the anti-nuclear lobby has destroyed the british nuclear industry, one which we once led the world in, over nothing but paranoia. The nuclear power industry has a safety record most other industries would die for (pardon the pun). More people have died in the renewable energy industry over the last 10 years than in the nuclear industry. The number of deaths due to radiation from the Fukushima incident is and will be zero. The number of deaths from Chernobyl has been hugely overplayed as has the environmental effects of the area which is now a perfectly healthy thriving natural wilderness. The cancer rate in the Chernobyl area rose by a very small percentage post Chernobyl, so possibly within the range of normal variation, but anyway, you’re not comparing like for like. Chernobyl was a decrepit ageing power station that should have been shut down long before it melted down, but the safety standards in Soviet Russia of the time (and probably still today) are a whole other league worse than ours.

For decades the French generate the overwhelming majority of their energy from nuclear and export their nuclear generated electricity to neighbouring countries including the UK so who else is better placed to build them? I’m not sure what the concerns are? It’s not unusual for other nations to be involved in large infrastructure projects in the UK.

kimbers

What I don’t get is that we have garuanteed them double the current energy price?

Is it not just giant PFI scam that our kids and grandkids will be paying off for ever?

squirrelking
    Free Member

The number of deaths from Chernobyl has been hugely overplayed as has the environmental effects of the area which is now a perfectly healthy thriving natural wilderness. The cancer rate in the Chernobyl area rose by a very small percentage post Chernobyl, so possibly within the range of normal variation, but anyway, you’re not comparing like for like. Chernobyl was a decrepit ageing power station that should have been shut down long before it melted down,

Sorry, I’m pro-nuclear but that is just nonsense.

For a start the exclusion zone is far from healthy, hot spots are so bad that bacteria cant survive and dead things can’t decay. This is a massive problem as accumulated litter needs to be removed manually as a wild fire would release contaminants back into the air.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/ist/?next=/science-nature/forests-around-chernobyl-arent-decaying-properly-180950075/

Secondly, Chernobyl was far from decrepit, the first reactor was commissioned in 1972 and Reactor 4 was just 3 years old. Dunno where you got that idea from.

The number of deaths due to radiation from the Fukushima incident is and will be zero.

And this is just…

BigDummy
    Free Member

I just hope they put it in a biscuit tin.

Lifer
    Free Member

wobbliscott – Member – Block User
    More people have died in the renewable energy industry over the last 10 years than in the nuclear industry.

Source?

kimbers – Member – Block User
    What I don’t get is that we have garuanteed them double the current energy price?

Is it not just giant PFI scam that our kids and grandkids will be paying off for ever?

Yep!

zippykona

We need to make ourselves energy self sufficient. It’s a matter of national security.
    Cameron has let us down. He doesn’t care about this country. Whatever good he has done has been far out weighed by this.
    He is a traitor.
    We should be going to China and selling them Tidal Power.

Drac

I think it’s brilliant it’ll be great for our steel industry…… oh wait.

Whatever good he has done

Can I get back to you on that.

zippykona

That smug grin after the Scottish vote.”look at me I saved the union”
    Just so you can sell it to the **** Chinese. ****.
    Tony, you have competition.

binners

My dad worked for BNFL most of his life as a design engineer and project manager. He retired as the government were breaking up the British nuclear industry, selling off the profitable bits, and saddling the taxpayer with the awkward costly bits.

His words as he retired, about ten years ago were:

“This is utter madness. They’re breaking up the most highly skilled nuclear engineering company in the world. They’ll go into other industries, and this skill set will be gone forever. The fact of the matter is that this country needs nuclear power to meet its energy needs. We can’t do without it. All these gas fired stations are all well and good, but what happens when the gas starts running out? We should be keeping this team together, and have them designing and building new reactors.

Otherwise, ten years down the line, we’ll be getting another countries engineers in to do it for us. And they’ll charge us the earth to do it!”

My dad is not actually….

But at least we wouldn’t be so stupid as to take a similar short-term view and stand idly by, as another major heavy industry, that provides an essential raw material for the countries infrastructure, goes to the wall, eh?

Oh… wait… hang on a minute…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘A chinese Nuclear Reactor… what could possibly go wrong?’ is closed to new replies.