Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • A child of our times..
  • loddrik
    Free Member

My eldest daughter, who is 7 btw, has decided that the coolest car in the world is a white Range Rover. I am gutted, crestfallen. I imagine it’s like being homophobic and your son tells you he’s gay.

She then, quite genuinely, asks why we can’t buy one.

Firstly, like yeah, as if I could afford a range rover.

Secondly, they are, in this city anyway, driven by shallow vacuous people, usually wives of people who haven’t slaved for years to be in a position to buy such a monstrosity.

Thirdly, my left of left political ideology finds such displays of wealth distasteful

Fourthly, nothing says ‘I am a cock’ better than driving a white range rover.

Fifthly, as a reasonable educated chap, I hope my daughter also gains an education and doesn’t end up coveting a wag type lifestyle where the acquisition and display of expensive yet superficial material goods gives ones life meaning, but more importantly, shows everyone else how great your life is and that they should be extremely jealous.

She doesn’t know it yet, but if she continues down this path and declares an affinity to David Cameron, I will be handing her over to social services.

The conversation finished with her asking ‘can I still have an iPad mini for my birthday?’…..

I suspect she still loves white range rovers and probably thinks dad is a bit of a loser…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Does she go to the shops in her rollers?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Eugh to white cars in general. Nothing says “sheep” like a white car.

New Rangie is a really good looking vehicle (not really a car is it) much better than the boxy old one, the vacuous Evoque is an abomination driven by blenders.

😆

DougD

Fourthly, nothing says ‘I am a cock’ better than driving a white range rover

Stephen Ireland begs to differ…

djglover
    Free Member

You’ll need something bigger than a range rover to shift them chips off your shoulders.

chewkw
    Free Member

Explain to her nicely … “Dear, those Range Rover are for people working in the hair saloon and Rover is a dog’s name …” 😆

yunki
    Free Member

she probly meant this one..?

vorlich
    Free Member

Orange, implant lady at work has just bought a 51 plate, but presumably can’t afford new tyres for it as they’re completely bald. 🙄

Stoner
    Free Member

my left of left political ideology

Why not just blame your politics of envy and be done with it!

🙂

Houns

Saw a new RR Sport today

Mmmm would have one at the drop of a hat if could afford it (not in chav white though!)

Markie
    Free Member

and probably thinks dad is a bit of a loser…

Cars seem to be key determinants of parental loserdom. My nephew (9) declared that his dad was a ‘monumental loser’ after being informed that the replacement car for their knackered Mondeo estate was not going to be a Bugatti Veyron.

z1ppy

There ace but I love land rovers generally.
    I believe the majority of owner are complete c**ks of the highest order.. you have to love how down the country lane they sit in the middle of the road and will never approach within 2 ft the hedge/verge even when pushing you into it (I’ve taken to just stopping and letting them pass [move over], rather than be pushed into the hedge).

Always amazed by see them sitting in 2 and 3’s outside small semi’s in the local town

If I won the lottery, it’d be one of the 1st things I bought 😈

allthepies
    Free Member

Before or after a high-security fence to keep the likes of Loddrik out ? 😉

munrobiker
    Free Member

I do like the Range Rover as a vehicle- serious off road capability, rather than being all talk and no walk, and it looks incredible. If I lived in the Highlands up a several mile long track, liked off roading and had a gazillion pounds I’d have one.

If I ran a beauty salon in Bradford and used it for tanking along the M62 to get to Leeds once a week I wouldn’t. Which, sadly, is what happens to most of them.

porter_jamie

that blonde girl from Wickford who was on big brother parks hers in our local Waitrose. it is white, and has disgusting aftermarket alloys.

to be fair, you are at least 50% responsible for her behaviour. I used to quite like range rovers until I moved to Essex for a job. They kind of label you as a chav here.

z1ppy

Before or after a high-security fence to keep the likes of Loddrik out ?

Dear god, I’d have a ‘man’ to deal with likes of him 😉

cranberry
    Free Member

Secondly, they are, in this city anyway, driven by shallow vacuous people, usually wives of people who haven’t slaved for years to be in a position to buy such a monstrosity.

You cannot be a reasonably educated chap and imagine that you can know what is in the mind of complete strangers at a distance with a door in the way.

May your daughter grow up to judge people by what is inside, rather than judging on colour/what is on the outside.

Daffy

cranberry – Member
    You cannot be a reasonably educated chap and imagine that you can know what is in the mind of complete strangers at a distance with a door in way.

I think you might be able to make a reasoned assumption as to the presence (or potential lack of) a mind within the driver.

For instance, a massive 4*4 with a kerb weight of 2600kg running around on 22″ near slick tyres with a 4.4l v8 consuming almost a litre of fuel per mile travelled doesn’t exactly scream socially responsible now does it!

cranberry
    Free Member

I think it is very socially responsible to support a car maker employing British people, and have a little think about the maths…

Lets take a 4.4 v8 – purchase price £95,000

Someone able to buy that is going to be on a near 50% tax rate when you factor in National Insurance. So that is £95,000 paid in to the exchequer before the key is turned in the driver’s door. Except, that purchase price includes VAT @ 20% – another £15,600 of nurse/doctor/teacher bought. So, just on the purchase of the car they have contributed £110,600 towards all the socially responsible things that the government does.

Fuel @ 24.6 mpg – which is 11.5 litres per 100Kms – or 1.15 litres per 10 kms – 1.15 litres per 6.21371192 miles, is bought out of taxed ( 50% ) income, and consists of 60-odd percent tax, so yet again, providing lots of lovely classroom assistants/social workers and pensions for our old folk.

Put simply, someone driving a Range Rover is contributing more to society in that one factor of their lives than you or I are likely to do in many a year. Forget not that they are also likely to be far less of a financial burden on society than the average citizen – they are unlikely to be claiming more in tax credits than they pay into the system, for example.

Oh, and before you get a prejudiced view of what I drive, it is a 13 year old, 2nd hand Defender that I fully intend to keep for another 7 or so years of mostly faithful service.

Daffy

10-11mpg is the real word economy of a RRS when in town and social responsibility goes beyond the financial. I was thinking about the environmental impact and the (especially given the context of the discussion) the impression given to the young.

I drive a Mini Clubman (designed and built in the UK), I also live in the countryside, and can afford a RRS, but I never would. It’s a ridiculous self centred, short sighted purchase.

You (and others) need to get past the fact you believe paying additional tax should afford you benefits and privileges above the rest of the nation…it doesn’t!

chrisa87
    Free Member

Maybe she is playing the long game? Aim for the impossible so that you buy the ipad mini as the consolation to not getting her the RR? Be careful here 🙂

spacemonkey

Loads of them around here. What ****s me off is that I see more and more people driving them whilst chatting on the phone that any other car. Fact. And I honestly don’t know the last time I saw a family out for a drive in one, ie kids in back etc – they’re always driven by individuals or couples. Odd.

El-bent
    Free Member

Put simply, someone driving a Range Rover is contributing more to society in that one factor of their lives than you or I are likely to do in many a year. Forget not that they are also likely to be far less of a financial burden on society than the average citizen – they are unlikely to be claiming more in tax credits than they pay into the system, for example.

My heroes. 🙄

ask1974
    Free Member

You (and others) need to get past the fact you believe paying additional tax should afford you benefits and privileges above the rest of the nation…it doesn’t!

Sorry but this sort of response really gets my goat. You should be in politics as they spout this sort of nonsense all the time; whilst pilfering from the expenses account of course. I mean no disrespect but really… It’s a perfectly valid point and other than your choice of car (not sure how a clubman counts anyway) I’d love to hear how you make the world better for everyone else, would make for better reading than this sort of inane argument.

I assume you live in a tine house with zero carbon foot print, never fly and give all your spare cash to the needy… 🙄

footflaps

I see them as constant reminders of ostentatious greed, which I don’t think is a particularly good thing to have in a society.

singlespeedstu

Always amazed by see them sitting in 2 and 3’s outside small semi’s in the local town

That’s Kinver for you and TBF you’d not get an invite to the local swingers party without one.

johndoh
    Free Member

So you know all these people to be able to make this deduction or are you just bitter that you can’t afford one for yourself?

Daffy

I’d love to hear how you make the world better for everyone else, would make for better reading than this sort of inane argument

I live in a house which gets 80% of its energy from solar, commute 7000 miles per year by bicycle and spend my time doing research and development for commercial aerospace trying to foster the use of structural optimisation and improved manufacturing technologies to affect a change in the design ethos for commercial aviation. So, I try to do my part…

the Clubman was a response to the British jobs comment…

ask1974
    Free Member

Good answer.

Still think you we’re a bit harsh though 😉

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘A child of our times..’ is closed to new replies.