Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • A cheque I wrote on Monday morning had already cleared by Monday evening?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It was a business cheque. Popped into one of my suppliers to pick up some bits and get an outstanding on my account, for which I wrote a cheque (a shade over £500) and gave it to them. Logged into online banking yesterday evening and it had already gone from my account?

How bloody quick was that? 😯

Andituk
    Free Member

Leaving your account isn’t the same as cleared, its now floating round in the lost depths of the banking system. Exactly why this is, in the 21st century, no one is entirely sure.

It most likely won’t appear in the other account and be spendable for a few days yet.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It has cleared your account so the bank has it to play with. Your supplier will see it but cannot draw against it as the bank continues to play with it.

Ohh, and they also charge you for the privilege.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah. Just thought it was a bit quick for it to exit my account. I guess they must be with the same bank.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No – it might not be in their account (although it equally might be), they have just taken it from yours.

MrTall
    Free Member

Many years ago when i worked in a bank i seem to recall you could pay extra to have a cheque clear the same day (it was a tenner back them).

They may be desperate for the cash flow and paid to have it clear straight away? I assume it can still be done.

bassspine
    Free Member

, its now floating round in the lost depths of the banking system. Exactly why this is, in the 21st century, no one is entirely sure.

the bank staff take off all their clothes and roll around in our money (from uncleared cheques) at breaktimes. Ask anyone who works in a bank if this is true and they act all furtive…

ton

express check clearance…………….we do it with iffy customers… 8)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

we do it with iffy customers

You know what ton, that’s what I thought 😯 …but I’ve been buying from them for years and years and never bounced a cheque (though I’m not always inside the 30 days thing 😉 )

ton

it is always the ones you least expect…….. 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

it is always the ones you least expect……..

Just as well it’s not you ton, you’d probably already have been round to duff me up…with your rep 8)

ton

no mate, i let em use 90 days…………..if they arn’t earning they can’t pay………..and they need stock to earn.

dd……….how wrong have you got me………. 😆

momo

Express clearance gets you the money the next working day, not the same day, as their bank would need to post the cheque to your bank so that they can check that it’s genuine (signature etc, and make sure you’ve got the money to pay it), it’s more likely that they bank at the same branch/sort code as you do, in which case the cheque doesn’t need to go to clearing. At least that was the case when I was a bank manager 5 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘A cheque I wrote on Monday morning had already cleared by Monday evening?’ is closed to new replies.