Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • A charity fundraiser, working on behalf of Oxfam has just knocked… Hmm.
  • iamtheresurrection

Okay, somebody help me here.

A nice, friendly bloke has just knocked on my door looking for long term donations via direct debit on behalf of Oxfam. Nikki and I have been talking about this for yonks and we do need to get something set up so I took the forms and asked him to come back tomorrow to collect.

But reading the small print (and some big) on the forms, he was a paid employee of a company called DialogueDirect. He gets a salary and a performance related bonus based on subscriptions. A quick look on the web suggests 100% of the donation goes to Oxfam in the first year, then a percentage is taken by DialogueDirect thereafter.

Is it just me, or does this all seem completely inapproriate? I've looked on Oxfam's website and it looks like I can donate directly – which I think we'll do regardless…

Any thoughts?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Did you think people who work for charities do it for free? That fella has to eat, so does his boss. Google up some images of Oxfam's head office. That wasn't cheap either. It is impressive though.

spooky_b329

I wouldn't, but I think its the same argument as a charity spending on advertising.

Overall, they think they will get more donations, even after another company has skimmed off the top. Same with the high street greenpeace botherers…apparently they get a percentage of donations collected.

I would donate directly.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iamtheresurrection

5thElefant – Member
    Did you think people who work for charities do it for free?

No, I'd like to think I'm not that naive… But I didn't realise that Oxfam would effectively contract out to other agencies for collection – effectively adding an additional cost or commission.

I also think it should have one of the first things he told me, rather than not mention it at all.

sangobegger
    Free Member

I work part time for an AID's foundation in South Africa,and Guys we have to fight for every penny.This is just another way of raising cash.It's not perfect I know but any form of fundraiser is a ball breaker.So hear this,if you want to donate – ask loads of questions first,where does the cash go,will you get feedback(especially on a long term donate),who is behind the project – google the directors etc!.There are pros/cons to every charity,only you know what you want from it.Even better do what we did.Stuff the hols to Marbella etc and go to Africa with a small charity(the big ones will empty yer wallet for the privalage!)and see for yourself.You WILL love it,go for it.

DaveGr
    Free Member

Same as if you donate direct from your salary. The company set up to administer it takes a cut. That's why I would go direct. As above, if you want a trip with a charity that involves a bike and isn't one of the usual adventure holidays with a bit of fund raising to pay for it check out the lepra web site. We went to madagascar and it was really an eye opener.

theboatman
    Free Member

I guess it depends if the cut for the company(that collects for multiple charities) is more or less than it would cost the charity to employ their own door knockers with infrastructure and on costs. I'm assuming the charity would have made a business decision based on what works best for them maximising their income from donations, rather than them not being arsed or trying to dupe you. I'm sure donating directly is the best option, but I would suggest the majority of the population do not seek this out, but may donate if it is made easy or sold to them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘A charity fundraiser, working on behalf of Oxfam has just knocked… Hmm.’ is closed to new replies.