Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • A challenge – what frame to tick all these criteria:
  • j3ffo
    Free Member

Cove hustler? think the frame is slightly over 6lb but has the geometry and will take the abuse..

jedi

bottlerocket

geetee1972
    Free Member

Jedi – do you recognise the build? You coached the guy a week or two back.

jedi

why you post a pic????

GlennG
    Free Member

Devinci Dixon, frameset with RP23 and custom build, 145mm travel, 67deg head angle, not sure on bb height. Could be built up around 27lb, recon this is going to be my next bike next months.

mega
    Free Member

Whyte 146 works has all the boxes ticked

mboy
    Free Member

I reckon there is about 1lb to save, but it would involve silly money, including Easton Haven Carbon wheels.

He’s gonna be wholeheartedly disappointed unless he reigns his needs/wants/desires in a little bit more in line with reality I’m afraid!

First off, how much does he use the dropping facility on the i900 post? Even a Thomson will save about 300g off the weight of that for starters. New Easton Haven bars would save another 50g (but this is getting stupid to be fair!), and then like you say the Carbon rimmed Haven wheels (which is asking for trouble IMO) will save a bit more again.

Now, bear in mind that skill is far more important than the bike you ride, and how much it weighs, and though he is only light (I weighed 60kg too once upon a time not so very long ago), 27.3lb for a bike with 140mm travel both ends and a dropper seatpost is quite frankly bloody remarkable! Most people ride hardtails that weigh more…

And honestly, if you rode a 26lb bike back to back with a 27lb bike, would you notice it? If that extra pound was entirely in the tyres, fair enough, but spread evenly over a number of key components I’d challenge anyone to actually be able to tell the difference without putting it on the scales… Less time obsessing, more time riding methinks, besides his 5 Spot sounds pretty much spot on for what he wants anyway…

Deveron53
    Free Member

Some weight savings to consider:

Fork: Fox 32 Float 1750
    Revelation 140 RLTs 1600g

Bars Race Face Sixc 225
    Answer Pro Taper 680 XC Carbon Flat Bar 130g

Wheels Mavic Crossmax SL 1615
    Pro2 with Crest and CX-Rays 1463g

Tyres Schwalbe Nobby Nic 1500
    Continental Speed King 2.4 Supersonic 900g pair

That’s another whole 2lb there!

anto164
    Free Member

Frikken LOL…

2 metre drops to flat? Yeh, nice one. (6ft to transition drops you’ll be bottoming the bike out, even on a DH bike)

NO 26lb trail bike will survive that well. a dozen in, and you’ll be wanting a new frame and wheels.

freeridenick
    Free Member

basically 2 bikes needed.

a LT hardtail (DB alpine TI that might just be produced) for surrey and bouncer for trips away.
    everything on the surrey hills is doable on a hard tail anyway and more of a challenge.

thats what we all do – just ride the bouncer once in a while for a change of scene around here.

messiah
    Free Member

I saw a few mega equiped Carbon Blur LT and Mojo HD’s at the Macavalanche. I spoke to a few of the owners as my mate was really interested in building up a lighter enduro racing machine. Amazing bikes and incredibly close to what I would call XC weight despite being able to take a beasting – I guess you have to think how long they could take that kind of hammering for… and hence if they are the riders only bike or a race-day-special??? I used to think it was a bit of a case where you had to think about if you are willing to live with the risk of breaking a part if you have a wee crash vs. having a stronger and heavier bike which will survive more offs. But it seems these days that that is less and less of a problems as even the light weight kit is far stronger than it used to be. Looking after your bike and checking things before you ride is better than having an overbuilt bike and keeping your fingers crossed.

One comment I remember is that the Carbon Blur LT was preferable to the Carbon Nomad as it was lighter and more responsive – the extra travel of the Nomad made it more of an all mountain cruiser than a sprint and shoot enduro weapon… and I guess that’s the key to riding these superlight enduro bikes: You may lose ground to the bigger bikes in the gnar but you’ll more than make up for it on the smooth lines and pedally bits. Fork changes were common, fit a Fox 36/Lyrik if the course requires it or use a 32/Rev if you think you can get away with it as weight saving is substantial.

It had me thinking if I am still overbiked with my current 33lbs AM machine? But then… I’m not an enduro racer and tend to be taking it easy on the smooth bits so I can enjoy the gnar… different strokes for different folks. I’d still like a lighter bike though as it makes a big difference to the rolling bits, and what goes down must first go up.

Flite carbon/Ti saddle = 140g
    Formula R1 brakes are much lighter than XTR – and if my Formula RX are anything to go by they will be more than powerfull enough (or go Th1 one with smaller disk a la Nico).
    The Whyte is intriguing… have you seen the testing vt?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Messiah, that’s an awesome piece of insight, big thanks for sharing that, especially the comments on the Blur LTc versus the equivalent Carbon Nomad. I was always curious about that since the frame weights are really close, something like 6lbs versus 6lbs 3ozs. I guess it shows it’s not just about the weight but also about how it rides.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘A challenge – what frame to tick all these criteria:’ is closed to new replies.