Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • A car question – re changing the oil
  • globalti
    Free Member

I would expect that with any modern turbo diesel the last couple of gentle miles from main road or motorway to residential street will cool the turbo nicely.

spooky_b329

Definitely let the car idle to cool the turbo, especially after towing. Most people don’t but its good practise as the oil and coolant being pumped around cools hot spots, both in the turbo and in that ‘known problem’ in your car between the pistons where the oil galleries are too small. And never blip the throttle before turning off the engine as this just spools the turbo up to several thousand RPM before you abruptly cut off its life saving oil supply.

Slightly thinner oil would also help reduce the chance of head failure. You could try using the oil grade they recommend for extended cold use as this will be thinner but still within spec.

Filters and oil types…don’t bother with the dealer for an eleven year old out of warranty car, either go to a motor factors (although they will usually be clueless about what oil to give you) or Halfords, they have flip books which tell you what oil/filters/bulbs/wipers your car will need.

P.S Performance cars with aftermarket turbo’s often have a timer fitted so you can lock the car and walk off, and the engine will idle for a short time before turning off. Purely for the health of the turbo.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Awww but the boys on fast n furious blip their throttle …its cool.

I ended up in court once against a fella who assaulted my colleague on the bar.

He had an scooby imprezza p1 – he did exactly that all the time …. Blip blip dump valve , kill engine

Used to work at my mums work amd i took great pleasure in hearing that upon doing this one day his engine made lots of expensive noises . He then decided it would be wise to start up the engine again to see what it was …. Crunch crunch bang .

Turbo bearings went bang on spool down with no oil , starting the car up introduced them into the engine , and it popped a conrod through the block. 1 scrap car insured third party – expensive paper weight.

Marko

Why oh why do men in the motor trade behave in this way?

We don’t. I always ask female customers if they would like the ‘patronise me please’ option. This is a chargeable service by the way.

So, what oil for a Nissan Patrol?

Try this:
    http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectionbodycopy.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7073092
    Hth
    Marko

Karinofnine

Thanks Marko, that database recommends a full syn 5W-40. Seems like a good idea to me.

On a positive note: Car Spares at Cheshunt have never patronised me, they are always just regular – no special treatment either way. Suits me fine.

Cougar

the car may smell your fear. My car knows not to **** with me, due to the cautionary tale of the last car, but if I show it even a hint of weakness it’d probably spit its clutch or something. It’s currently overdue an oilchange in fact, just to show it who wears the trousers.

This works with computers too. At a previous job, I took a motherboard out of a terminally problematic server and nailed it to the wall in the comms room, just to serve as a lesson to the others.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘A car question – re changing the oil’ is closed to new replies.