• This topic has 85 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by StuE.
Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • A Bridge too far film- what next?
  • mefty
    Free Member

Mel Brooks was also at the Battle of the Bulge but the actor with the most distinguished war record was Jimmy Stewart.

m1kea
    Free Member

hora
    I watched Battle of the Bulge next. Gawd it was awful compared to a Bridge too far. The scale models/mocked up scenes, the ham acting, the lot.

+1000

The Ardennes offensive occurred during one of the coldest and snowiest winters of the 20th century, not that you’d know that by watching this pile o’ shite. It also featured an awful lot of open hill sides and fields etc, landscapes you don’t generally associate with Luxembourg 🙄

jimjam
    Free Member

I have to chime in on Hurt Locker as it’s one of the few films I walked out of. Tried to sit through it again on DVD. Failed. I finally managed to watch it when it came on TV.

Trite, plodding, grim, predictable melodrama wrapped in docu-drama clothing to make it appear gritty and realistic. It’s basically Top Gun re-hashed for the 00’s but instead of cold war fighter jets it’s Iraq bomb disposal. It just replaces the fun, humor and homo-eroticism with dour humourless homo-eroticism. Hurt Locker, more like Shit Pot.

Zero Dark 30 was much the same. I liked Bigelow when she had a sense of humour and could make an action movie that didn’t think it was a documentary.

m1kea
    Free Member

Oh yeah; Fury.

Great to see authentic kit and conditions and kudos for getting Bovington to release Tiger 131. But oh dear god, could they have crammed in any more war clichés and bolx action sequences?

footflaps

Watched Midway and The Beast over the weekend, after recommendations on this thread. Thought The Beast was excellent, was wondering how they’d make a film about a lost tank, but they did a great job.

StuE
    Free Member

Don’t forget Audie Murphy
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘A Bridge too far film- what next?’ is closed to new replies.