• This topic has 85 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by StuE.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • A Bridge too far film- what next?
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

Another one for the Cruel Sea, the book is a great read as well, they left the more graphic bits out of the film.

IdleJon

pirahna – Member

The Great Escape
    Bridge Over the River Kwai

I only got around to watching this recently (having seen everything else on this thread, over the years.

The Bridge On The River Kwai is laughably bad, considering it’s thought of as a classic must-see film. There is so much wrong with it it’s difficult to know where to start.

I tried watching Fury yesterday – it made me remember how good Band of Brother was. (And The Pacific to a lesser extent.)

alanl
    Free Member

‘Battle of Midway’ (the Charlton Heston one) is pretty close to being a documentary with the battles and planning beforehand.
    Well worth watching.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iolo
    Free Member

Debbie does Dallas?

mefty
    Free Member

“The Bridge on the River Kwai” is based on a work of fiction, written by a Frenchman, who was given the screenwriting credit for film too for political reasons.

My father served in the Bocage of Normandy and then was part of the liberation forces of Arnhem etc. He loved a good war film which would not have been the case if they had been even remotely reminiscent of his own experience.

Northwind

Edric 64 – Member

much better than the dross that is Pearl Harbour.

If there was a “none of the bullshit” edit of Pearl Harbour, I’d definitely watch it again- the actual raid recreation is phenomenal in places. It’s just that it’s surrounded by terrible.

dpfr

A bit more modern- Jarhead

Obscure one- The Odd Angry Shot

failedengineer

Aces High
    Cross of Iron
    Das Boot
    That one about the Russian tank in Afghanistan
    All quiet on the western Front
    The bridge at Remagen

hora
    Free Member

Cross of Iron is stunning. Classic 70’s cinema.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The Bridge On The River Kwai is laughably bad, considering it’s thought of as a classic must-see film. There is so much wrong with it it’s difficult to know where to start.

it destroyed the reputation of a decent man

big_n_daft
    Free Member

“Contact” not a film but BBC TV which is a good depiction of counterinsurgency warfare

parkesie
    Free Member

The Russian tank in Afghanistan. The beast. A great film that i must watch again.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’m surprised to see “The odd angry shot” mentioned here – its possibly one of the worst films in my collection!
    “Appointment in London” is one of the most underrated war films but for modern stuff the “The Hurt Locker” is rather good.

colournoise

+1 Full Metal Jacket, Jarhead.

On a different tack, not really a war film but a great film (depending ontoo your taste) with a war setting, Inglorious Basterds.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Has anyone seen Kajiki yet?

It’s on my list.

Das Boot is good.

Planning a cycling trip around Holland when I retire, Arnhem/Nijmegen are definitely on the list.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Rockhopper – Member
    I’m surprised to see “The odd angry shot” mentioned here – its possibly one of the worst films in my collection!
    “Appointment in London” is one of the most underrated war films but for modern stuff the “The Hurt Locker” is rather good.

I had to laugh at the way you describe a film as one of the worst in your collection before going on to say The Hurt Locker is quite good! 😀

That was a terrible film which should have been a straight to video release but somehow managed to not only gain a reputation for being a gritty, realistic portrayal of the 2nd war in Iraq but also won awards on the back of it.

I can only guess that it was a combination of the name of the director carrying a bit of weight and it being the right time for a mainstream 2nd Iraq war film to be made.

Rantette finished!

IdleJon

That was a terrible film which should have been a straight to video release but somehow managed to not only gain a reputation for being a gritty, realistic portrayal of the 2nd war in Iraq but also won awards on the back of it.

I disagree, I thought it was very good. It gave an interesting view on how men react to war.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was watching Fury, well I finished it last night. This was a film desperately trying to show how men are brutalized by combat – the director really should have taken lessons from The Hurt Locker, not Sven Hassel. A dreadful, cliched film.

razorrazoo

If you want chlostrophobic in tank action check out Lebanon (May still be on Netflix).

IdleJon

Thanks razorrazoo, I’ll have a look.

TheFlyingOx

A Midnight Clear
    GIs on lookout duty in the middle of nowhere are spotted by huge German division on the move.

Enemy At The Gates
    Russian sniper vs German Sniper in the ruins of Stalingrad.

Letters From Iwo Jima
    Clint Eastwood directs the Japanese telling of the storming of Iwo Jima, and it’s miles better than the sister film “Flags Of Our Fathers”.

footflaps

Enemy at the Gates was great.

Tora Tora Tora is brilliant.

gobuchul
    Free Member

+1 for Lebanon. A superb movie.

stgeorge

Has anyone seen Kajiki yet?

Yes,

Very good IMO

zippykona

Little Dieter needs to fly.
    An amazing documentary about a POW escape in Vietnam.

ninfan
    Free Member

+1 for Lebanon. A superb movie.

really? It’s thought it was beyond terrible – I know it was supposedly written by a tank commander but the holes in the plot are even bigger than the impossibly big tardis like interior of their (Centurion/Ben-Gurion) tank, which seems to have enough room for dead bodies, prisoners, and anyone else who wants to drop in for a cuppa!

StuE
    Free Member

Das Boot,but it would have to be the full TV version

nickc

Lebanon is a superb piece of cinema

crankboy
    Free Member

Is it supposed to be a Merkarva not a Ben_Gurion not seen the film but you could get a tea party in a Merkava.

nickc

Nah, it’s a regular tank, it just that there’s a bit of artistic licence. It’s not a war film, it’s a film about war.

hora
    Free Member

I watched Battle of the Bulge next. Gawd it was awful compared to a Bridge too far. The scale models/mocked up scenes, the ham acting, the lot. Terrible compared to the performances, rawness, etc etc of a Bridge too far. Plus did the Yanks fancy the Germans back then?! Its almost homo-erotic.

footflaps

I thought the Hurt Locker was excellent, in my top 10 war films.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Obviously it’s all subjective etc etc and I’m not arguing but… why?

ninfan
    Free Member

Is it supposed to be a Merkarva not a Ben_Gurion not seen the film but you could get a tea party in a Merkava.

Only if you leave all the ammo behind…

No, it was defo a Centurion/BG –

Plus the visitors seemed to all be coming in via the conning tower (yes, it really was that big, biggest tank interior since Best Defense) rather than a rear door

Rockhopper
    Free Member

With the old films you have to remember that when they were made the effects etc were state of the art (at that time!) so its perhaps not fair to say they are rubbish based on that.
    I like the Hurt Locker, probably one of my favourite modern war films, I’m not saying its an accurate portrayal buts it a fairly gripping film in places, although how me manages to hit the running guy with the Barrett then gets the next shot six feet away from the window is beyond me 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Downfall is my favourite film concerning WW2 amazing performances and shows the madness of the last weeks of the Reich.

crankboy
    Free Member

All Quiet On The Western Front
    Went the Day Well
    The Blue Max
    Winter War
    Cross of Iron
    The Longest Day,but the book “warriors for the working day” is better.

Absolutely hate “battle of the bulge” wrong tanks, wrong tactics, vague history and the real life David Niven is not only not in the film but his role in the actual battle is performed by an American.

IdleJon

I’ve just looked up David Niven on wiki.( I’m aware of his acting but wanted to know more about his ear record.)

About to lead his men into action, Niven eased their nervousness by telling them, “Look, you chaps only have to do this once. But I’ll have to do it all over again in Hollywood with Errol Flynn!” Asked by suspicious American sentries during the Battle of the Bulge who had won the World Series in 1943, he answered “Haven’t the foggiest idea … but I did co-star with Ginger Rogers in Bachelor Mother!”[citation needed] On another occasion, asked how he felt about serving with the British army in Europe, he allegedly said ‘Well on the whole, I would rather be tickling Ginger Rogers’ tits’.

😆

hora
    Free Member

Wow, thanks for that. Never knew that about him.

ninfan
    Free Member

Another one worthy of note was Anthony Quayle (baddie in Ice Cold in Alex & CO in Guns of Navarone) who served training the Auxiliary Units in the UK, before going on to SOE later in the war and parachuting into Albania, where he trained and led resistance fighters!

IdleJon

And, of course, the great Lee Marvin.

Another one worthy of note was Anthony Quayle (baddie in Ice Cold in Alex & CO in Guns of Navarone)

I’ve swum at Anthony QUINN Bay, Rhodes. Apparently he owned it, but had no wartime record. His father dud ride with Pancho Villa though!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘A Bridge too far film- what next?’ is closed to new replies.