Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • A bridge called 'the Can-Opener'. My day's been made!
  • SaxonRider

Almost 10 minutes of footage may be a bit much, but it’s hard to stop watching these lorries get topped when trying to go under a bridge with not enough clearance.

A bit of schadenfreude anyone? 😀

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USu8vT_tfdw[/video]

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

ooo the one at the 1:25!I should really get back to work 🙂

Insurers must be having a field day with Penske

scuttler

Topped? Most of em are scalped or even just getting a #1. Has that bridge been designed to be about 2 cms lower than an automotive standard height?

Loving the sound effects – same whether the truck gets skimmed or whacked.

10 mins – proof that people have too much time on their hands.

SaxonRider

Actually, I take back what I said about 10 minutes being too much. I just made it through, and it was worth every one of them. 😛

frankconway

Made my day!

Pigface
    Free Member

The AC’s 😆

scotroutes

Doesn’t it make you want to get out with a shovel and lower the road by 3-4″?

johnners
    Free Member

If they’d let a bit of air out of their tyres most of them would have got through.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

There is even a Warning light “overheight when flashing”

globalti
    Free Member

Noticeable that many of the trucks are hired; drivers just don’t think about the top bit. I once nearly unpeeled the scaffolding from the front of Stafford General Hospital when I reversed a 3 ton truck into the pole sticking out with the SGB Scaffolding banner on it.

GrahamS

Noticeable that many of the trucks are hired; drivers just don’t think about the top bit.

Yeah noticed that too. At least half a dozen Enterprise or Budget hire trucks. Those must have been interesting conversations when they returned the vehicles. “Any problems with the vehicle sir?”, “Ummmmmm….”

Hope they took out the excess cover!

The last guy was great too. I’m guessing he had a co-pilot passenger second-guessing his decision to avoid the bridge. “Nah, it’ll easily fit under that…” 😀

welshfarmer

Reminds me of the Irishman joke (sorry any Irish men of the forum:-) )

Mick is walking down the road and sees Paddy with his Donkey and trap parked up by the low bridge with Paddy chipping away at the stone arch with a hammer and chisel.

“Whats up Paddy” says Mick.

“The bridge is too low to get me donkey under” says Paddy

“You daft beggar” says Mick, “you don’t want to be damaging the bridge like that, get a spade and dig something out from underneath instead”

“Now who’s being daft” says Paddy, “it is his ears are too long, not his legs”

P-Jay
    Free Member

When we rented a Transit Luton to move house the hire guy made me repeat the words “no low bridges” “No McDonalds Drive-Throughs” and then showed me a map of the low bridges in the area that it wouldn’t fit under AND asked me to show him the routes I was taking before taking £500 deposit and saying “I think we can both agree you’ve been told”.

They go through about 1 a month from a fleet of 3 vans, he can charge for the front bit to be fixed, but they usually lose a weeks of potential rental on them having them fixed.

aracer
    Free Member

Why make life easier for the foolish? I’m not sure why they don’t lower the warning sign a bit though, so if they’re going to hit the bridge they get a warning by hitting that first. May be too late to help much, but they could also move it a bit further from the bridge to give people time to react.

GrahamS

“it is his ears are too long, not his legs”

I often point out to young kids how amazing it is that their legs are just the right length to reach the ground.

bodgy
    Free Member

There’s a cattle grid down the road from me that is known as ‘The Can Opener’, owing to the two large RSJ girders that the farmer has thoughtfully embedded on either side of it. For some reason. Many a van has fallen foul of those bad boys.

GrahamS

I’m not sure why they don’t lower the warning sign a bit though, so if they’re going to hit the bridge they get a warning by hitting that first.

From the looks of it the bit they are hitting is the warning, rather than the bridge itself.

Except here instead of using, say, some chains hanging down at the correct height, they’ve used a chuffing great steel girder braced hard to make sure it doesn’t move.

CraigW
    Free Member

Apparently there’s a sewer pipe under the road, so it would be a lot of work to lower it.

The main Youtube channel is here, it gets regular updates. https://www.youtube.com/user/yovo68/featured

scotroutes

The process over here is that rail bridges are closed for inspection if they’ve taken an impact. I’m guessing it’s a bit less rigorously applied in the US or that bridge would have been fixed by now.

huws
    Free Member

that bridge would have been fixed by now.

We are not so good at fixing bridges. I used to live next to one on the south circular in london and would regularly hear the crash of another lorry smashing into it. Surprising really given how many giant flashing low bridge signs there were in the run up to it.

17 times in 6 months

GrahamS

rail bridges are closed for inspection if they’ve taken an impact.

I think that’s why they have that big steel beam on that bridge – to make sure the beam takes the hit instead of the bridge. In a few of the clips there are trains going over the bridge at the time of impact. If the truck in those clips had made it to the bridge it could have been catastrophic.

martinhutch

You would have thought the boss of Penske would have sent a memo around by now. (Or is that a hire company too?)

The solution appears to be to make the trucks out of whatever they make the warning bar out of. Unscathed!

johnners
    Free Member

I’m surprised we don’t see a few of those truck drivers exiting via the windscreen.

Harry_the_Spider

I enjoyed watching the caravans getting decapitated. How tall are they!?… 11 ft 8 and a bit i suppose.

Northwind

tuskaloosa – Member

Insurers must be having a field day with Penske

I was disappointed to find out that there’s a truck hire company called Penske- the suspension company probably only owns a couple of trucks so I liked the idea of Bob the Driver phoning into the office “It happened again!”

antigee

this 3.0m high bridge in Melbourne, Aus has its own website

http://howmanydayssincemontaguestreetbridgehasbeenhit.com/

answer at moment is a quite lengthy and boring 27days, sometimes gets hit a few times a week

GrahamS

How tall are they!?… 11 ft 8 and a bit i suppose.

They were. Now they are exactly 11ft 8 😀

martinhutch

From the Oz bridge site – there’s your answer. Or maybe not, if the bridge there is still getting hit.

GrahamS

I remember at Sleepless In The Saddle one year (back in the day) watching the “Berks On Bikes” team happily pitching out their camping area, complete with a nice vinyl overhead banner at the entrance.

Think they had it up for about an hour before the rest of the team arrived in cars with bikes on the roof and drove straight into it. 😆

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘A bridge called 'the Can-Opener'. My day's been made!’ is closed to new replies.